Lakeview Farm, Newhebron, Miss., has been honored with the Historic Angus Herd Award by the American Angus Association® for their continued ownership and production of Angus cattle.
Stanley B. Garner established Lakeview Farm in the early 1930s as a cotton farm and commercial cattle operation. Stanley's son, Carl B. Garner, realized the potential of Angus cattle, and so in 1958 the first two females were purchased for $200 each from Charles Klassen, Collins, Miss. Several herd bulls were purchased from Burch Angus Ranch, Mill Creek, Okla., and beginning in the 1970s artificial insemination was utilized. Most of the cattle are sold through private treaty.
Today, Angus Herd Improvement Records (AHIR®) and ultrasound data identify superior genetic traits that Richard B. Garner uses to expand their 80 head cow herd. Richard, along with his wife, Misty, own and operate Lakeview Farm. His grandfather started his herd with the gift of two Angus cows in 1972. Richard showed cattle for 10 years through the local 4-H program and was a member of his collegiate livestock judging teams. He currently serves as president of the Lawrence County Cattlemen's Association and has held numerous leadership roles in the Middle Mississippi and Mississippi Angus Associations.
The American Angus Association presents the Historic Angus Herd Award to Angus herds that have been in the continuous production of registered Angus cattle by the same family for 50 years or more. The Garners will receive a certificate signed by the Association's president to honor this achievement.
The American Angus Association is the world's largest beef breed organization, providing programs and services to thousands of commercial producers and more than 36,000 regular and junior members nationwide. For more information go to www.
angus.org or call 816-383-5100.