Do not buy a Gatormade trailer !

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Do not buy a Gatormade trailer !

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:57 am

I'm not in the trailer business , I have a 5 ton gooseneck Hudson thats been a great trailer ( bought new in 99) Been a A+ in every way . Just needed a 10 ton . I did my homework I thought . It came down to Hudson, PJ, Gatormade or Big Tex . I chose the Gatormade because they were the only one that offered a 10 ton with single wheels . I didn't want a dual tandem
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:22 am

I had a Big Tex trailer once. It was a very good trailer. Sorry I sold it.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:48 pm

Does it not have Dexter axles?
0 x

BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:21 pm

Nope this one has the 8k lippert oil bath axles
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:36 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I had a Big Tex trailer once. It was a very good trailer. Sorry I sold it.

I have a big Tex, it's about 4 years old. I don't like it at all. I think big Tex is making two kinds of trailers and I got the cheap one.
It's 20' deck, 5' dove tail low profile spread axle tandem wheel 10 ton.
Lights, paint, wiring are junk. 21,500 makes the bed rub the tire.
Yeah, I know it's rated 20,000 but I've never had another trailer that only hauls it's rating.
And regardless of that the other stuff on it are junk.
Tires were supposed to be real good and they were junk too.
0 x

rlbmces
Beginner
Beginner

Postby rlbmces » Fri May 05, 2017 10:02 pm

My Gatormade trailer's paint started blistering in less than a year and now is peeling off. It has always been stored in the dry and hardly used . No help from Gatormade, they said to use a can of spray paint as regular maintenance.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat May 06, 2017 12:36 am

rlbmces wrote:My Gatormade trailer's paint started blistering in less than a year and now is peeling off. It has always been stored in the dry and hardly used . No help from Gatormade, they said to use a can of spray paint as regular maintenance.

the haulrite I mentioned earlier was rusty from the 6 hour drive home, I made them repaint it, of course it was a halfassed job and looks like crud anyhow

Here's a few of the issues I had with mine
Left vs right stake pockets were in different locations, spring hangers were welded on too close together (couldn't fit your hand between the wheels), the "upgrade" radial tires were total junk, had a flat every time I used them, and then just stupid stuff.. rather than put the jack on the tongue, they welded it to the front of the deck, every bit of wiring was clip-together stuff, corrodes immediately.. On the trailer brakes they crimped the wire so hard they pinched it off.. never was able to get the trailer to brake as hard as I figure it should even after adjusting them
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat May 06, 2017 12:37 am

0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat May 06, 2017 7:52 am

Bobby never came back and updated this thread. Wonder what happened?
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Sun May 07, 2017 9:48 pm

I had a Gatormade for 31/2 years. I feel I was very lucky to have sold it last week on craigslist. I am now looking to replace it with a high quality trailer. I have crawled under a bunch in the last week and read for hours on the web. I have read great things about the red rhino but can not find one to look at in person. After the Gator experience I am shy to order one on internet hype. I looked at a corn pro today really liked it other than no low pro option. Does anyone have a corn pro? Looking more for quality than price
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon May 08, 2017 6:02 am

Corn Pro trailers are made here in my back yard. I've got a 20 some odd year old CP stock trailer, and no complaints. They make a good trailer. For what it's worth, I use flatbed goosenecks every day, and am probably harder on equipment than the average Joe. The hands down champion in the best/toughest/fewest dollars per mile category is Hank Trailers. We've had our oldest one for 11 years, and it just keeps ticking. I'm good about maintenance on trucks and other equipment with an engine, but am bad to neglect a trailer. I called Gatormade a few months ago when we needed to add to the fleet. I had read all of the reviews online, and directly asked the salesman in Somerset about it. He gave me the blah blah about taking care of one and changing the axle oil yearly and more blah blah and if you have a problem, I'll take care of it as long as you bring the trailer to me, blah blah. I'm 300K in on the old Hank, and the only time the axles get new oil is when we break a hub cap off, and not so much as a cracked weld anywhere on it. That conversation with the GM sales guy convinced me that my initial feelings of sticking with the proven winner, were in fact, the right feelings. CP or Hank will cost a grand or two more, but well worth it and cheaper in the end. For what it's worth, avoid EZ TRAC boat trailers like the plague. Same chit as Gatormade.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:33 am

a guy had a CL ad selling his almost brand new 2016 GM 25' gooseneck for 4k even. He was mad because some paint flaked off so soon and they wouldn't repaint it for him.
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Mon May 08, 2017 8:37 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Corn Pro trailers are made here in my back yard. I've got a 20 some odd year old CP stock trailer, and no complaints. They make a good trailer. For what it's worth, I use flatbed goosenecks every day, and am probably harder on equipment than the average Joe. The hands down champion in the best/toughest/fewest dollars per mile category is Hank Trailers. We've had our oldest one for 11 years, and it just keeps ticking. I'm good about maintenance on trucks and other equipment with an engine, but am bad to neglect a trailer. I called Gatormade a few months ago when we needed to add to the fleet. I had read all of the reviews online, and directly asked the salesman in Somerset about it. He gave me the blah blah about taking care of one and changing the axle oil yearly and more blah blah and if you have a problem, I'll take care of it as long as you bring the trailer to me, blah blah. I'm 300K in on the old Hank, and the only time the axles get new oil is when we break a hub cap off, and not so much as a cracked weld anywhere on it. That conversation with the GM sales guy convinced me that my initial feelings of sticking with the proven winner, were in fact, the right feelings. CP or Hank will cost a grand or two more, but well worth it and cheaper in the end. For what it's worth, avoid EZ TRAC boat trailers like the plague. Same chit as Gatormade.

Where is a good Hank dealer? Searched them website I found was just a dealer with several brands. Couldn't
really find a lot about them even where made. BNL has one seems nice, dealer where came from now sells corn pro where I priced one. I'm fine paying more for quality.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon May 08, 2017 8:58 pm

littletom wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Corn Pro trailers are made here in my back yard. I've got a 20 some odd year old CP stock trailer, and no complaints. They make a good trailer. For what it's worth, I use flatbed goosenecks every day, and am probably harder on equipment than the average Joe. The hands down champion in the best/toughest/fewest dollars per mile category is Hank Trailers. We've had our oldest one for 11 years, and it just keeps ticking. I'm good about maintenance on trucks and other equipment with an engine, but am bad to neglect a trailer. I called Gatormade a few months ago when we needed to add to the fleet. I had read all of the reviews online, and directly asked the salesman in Somerset about it. He gave me the blah blah about taking care of one and changing the axle oil yearly and more blah blah and if you have a problem, I'll take care of it as long as you bring the trailer to me, blah blah. I'm 300K in on the old Hank, and the only time the axles get new oil is when we break a hub cap off, and not so much as a cracked weld anywhere on it. That conversation with the GM sales guy convinced me that my initial feelings of sticking with the proven winner, were in fact, the right feelings. CP or Hank will cost a grand or two more, but well worth it and cheaper in the end. For what it's worth, avoid EZ TRAC boat trailers like the plague. Same chit as Gatormade.

Where is a good Hank dealer? Searched them website I found was just a dealer with several brands. Couldn't
really find a lot about them even where made. BNL has one seems nice, dealer where came from now sells corn pro where I priced one. I'm fine paying more for quality.

Hamilton Equipment in Linton, IN or Mayes Trailer Sales in Whiteland, IN are the dealers that I've used for Hank. I think you can buy direct from Hank, but I wouldn't swear to it. Sharp Trailers in Elnora, IN is the Corn Pro dealer closest to the factory. I've had neighbors with CP flatbeds borrow my Hank trailers, and trade pretty quick. They do pull better, but both are good made trailers. Also, go with 10k axles and dual tandems. The 14k gvwr single wheel jobers don't have much payload when it's said and done.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Mon May 08, 2017 9:42 pm

Will check both out. Got some friends in bloomfield I go up to hunt most years.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”