School shop made culvert roller packer

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

School shop made culvert roller packer

Postby customcattle » Wed May 04, 2016 9:46 am

So I have been needing a roller packer to prepare a couple of small fields (10 acres and under) to plant alfalfa, and also to use when working up my roping arena at home. I have priced them and just couldn't justify the cost for the use that I will be getting out of it. I know I'm not the first one to do it, but I wanted to show y'all the roller packer me and my students (I'm an Ag Teacher too) put together this last week using some 2-3/8" drill stem pipe and a 12'x12" culvert. It turned out pretty slick. We filled the two 6' chunks of culvert with sand so each wound up weighting about 400 pounds.

0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: School shop made culvert roller packer

Postby M-5 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:16 am

very cool , Ive had the same Idea of using culvert pipe.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed May 04, 2016 10:28 am

Depending on what you're rolling, it isn't nearly big enough... I don't think it's nearly heavy enough, and if you ever get into loose soil with it, it'll start piling up rather than packing it...
We built a 10' roller out of what seems to be a big propane tank, about 4' diameter, 3/4" wall and 2 1/2" shaft through it... Weighs about 3000 lbs empty, and can be filled with water, putting its weight closer to 8000 lbs.. Great thing about it is even if it gets into loose soil, it doesn't push dirt ahead of it, it pushes it down.
I'll see if I can find a picture, or I'll take one
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Wed May 04, 2016 10:42 am

Nesikep wrote:Depending on what you're rolling, it isn't nearly big enough... I don't think it's nearly heavy enough, and if you ever get into loose soil with it, it'll start piling up rather than packing it...
We built a 10' roller out of what seems to be a big propane tank, about 4' diameter, 3/4" wall and 2 1/2" shaft through it... Weighs about 3000 lbs empty, and can be filled with water, putting its weight closer to 8000 lbs.. Great thing about it is even if it gets into loose soil, it doesn't push dirt ahead of it, it pushes it down.

I just went off the size of a manufactured roller packer and the wheels them are about 12" diameter. Also used it last night and worked real well. While I do appreciate your criticism, for my particular applications it will work just fine.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:20 pm

Looks like a winner to me.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Philip-TX
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Philip-TX » Wed May 04, 2016 12:22 pm

Nesikep wrote:Depending on what you're rolling, it isn't nearly big enough... I don't think it's nearly heavy enough, and if you ever get into loose soil with it, it'll start piling up rather than packing it...

I'd think the diameter of the roller has more to do with it than weight.
0 x

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Wed May 04, 2016 12:29 pm

M-5 wrote:very cool , Ive had the same Idea of using culvert pipe.

Thank you. It seems to work well. We have a PlasmaCam at the school that I was able to use to make the inside braces in order to get my shaft perfectly centered, and the end caps perfectly round, so that helped with it.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed May 04, 2016 3:49 pm

As long as it works for what you need, my criticisms of it don't matter, I just know it wouldn't do what I need it to do.

I designed a front bumper for my truck and a friend of mine has a PlasmaCam as well, made the difference between an impossible job and a pretty easy one.. I still have the software on my computer to design with and test (I do my drafting in Autocad).

Philip-TX, you're totally right, diameter of the roller is what makes the difference between pushing things forward and pushing things down, and in loose soil, it's critical.
The good part about culvert pipe is the ridges it leaves
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Wed May 04, 2016 4:04 pm

How much would you say you have invested in materials? I can't find a decent cultipacker around these parts for under a grand, and like you, just can't justify that expense for as infrequently as it would be used. Nice work.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:53 pm

nice... bball they sell a ton here from 200-800 at farm sales depending on the size and shape...
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Wed May 04, 2016 4:59 pm

With rock around here, you don't even attempt with any roller less than 24" and a good roller is 40+ inches. Takes football size rocks and makes them magically disappear.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Wed May 04, 2016 5:08 pm

bball wrote:How much would you say you have invested in materials? I can't find a decent cultipacker around these parts for under a grand, and like you, just can't justify that expense for as infrequently as it would be used. Nice work.

I tried to find used culvert, but couldn't find any.
Culvert was $150 drill stem was $50 then I probably have another 35 in other miscellaneous metal.
I didn't think $235 was too bad.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed May 04, 2016 8:01 pm

Aaron wrote:With rock around here, you don't even attempt with any roller less than 24" and a good roller is 40+ inches. Takes football size rocks and makes them magically disappear.

One of the main uses for mine!.. especially in some fields.. brought a couple dumptruck loads of rocks out of it already, and have more to do...
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:03 pm

That's neat.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Wed May 04, 2016 9:59 pm

So I was able to get it out and do more than in the arena tonight with it pulling it behind the disk and it worked like a dream. Seems like it will be an ideal seed bed for alfalfa.
On the subject of rocks, the biggest and only rocks around here are from the gravel in the driveway. It worked wonders breaking up the dirt clods in the arena and the 4 acres It worked tonight.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”