Need a utv opinion

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Need a utv opinion

Postby Atimm693 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:09 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
ddd75 wrote:bed is junk, it'd be broke around here in a few weeks.

DCT transmission.. Do you REALLY want to drive around feeling shifts all day? That's extremely annoying to me.

Sitting position. You're IN IT.. not getting out easily.. not getting in easily. I'll take something with an easy access slide in / slide out type of configuration. When I'm jumping out every 30 seconds to work on something the last thing I need is trouble getting in out.

15k starting price and you're not even getting a diesel or a heavy duty suspension.

It's been 2 years since I looked at one but I will look again.

That transmission is the future... just like cars or trucks. $15K is right on compared to other brands. It was higher when i looked 2 years ago.

The DCT is not much different than the powershift setup in modern tractors.

Since its still relatively new to the market, they aren't perfect, but most manufacturers have the major bugs worked out.
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Smallpotatoes wrote:I actually bought a Honda pioneer 500 last year. It's a smaller utv that fits nearly anywhere a 4wheeler will. Automatic or manual transmission (selectable) and can be had for less than 8k. It has a bench type seat and atv rack that I mounted a toolbox and drop down rack on. Biggest drawback is no front diff lock, but it hasn't been an issue whatsoever. I bought it for the reliability and longevity of Hondas and have been very happy so far.

I'm on my 3rd Honda 4wheeler.. No other brand compares. Although, my new one is in the shop right now :? But it has 10,000 miles on it and this is its first shop visit...so I guess that's good. If it had been a Polaris, it would have already spent 6 months in the shop...
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:54 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:We've had our mule for several weeks now and this is my opinion on it.
1. Its too noisy, hard to talk to anyone with you. If you stop to talk to anyone, you have to turn it off.
2. I don't like how I have to sit in it. I'm tall but my feet don't reach the floor without compressing the seat. On long rides, my legs start to bother me. Its not so bad if you're driving, but I need something to put my feet on when i'm in it for very long.
3. Its rattles a lot. You cant put your feet on the dash because its flimsy. Doesn't sound that important, but again, its uncomfortable to me and I need my feet to go somewhere.
4. No cup holders for back seat. I did buy some at Walmart that work ok, but only after a few rides I remembered while I was in town to get something. We got it so we could take people out on the ranch, people like their drinks..
5. I don't like the doors...you can take them off, but then theres no bar to hold you in. After zipping around in a gator with a bar, I could possibly fall out of the mule thinking there is a bar to hold me in...lol
6, Its slow

We've had every brand of side by side and my fav is JD gator. I dont know how long we've owned the 2 gators we have now but its been a long time.. We drive the holy crap out of them. One year it was in mud nonstop and we went everywhere spinning the tires the whole time. They are tough, quiet for a diesel, ride comfortable. They are just expensive...If I need to run to the other side of the place, I go out and I have a gator and a truck sitting there, i'll jump in the gator every time...

Which mule did you get? We narrowed it down to the mule pro or a polaris ranger and decided on the latter, have had it for a month or two and absolutely love it.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:29 pm

I have a 625i Gator and an 855D Gator. One thing I've noticed is how the cattle respond between the two. The 625 is gas and is pretty loud. The cattle pay attention to it. They move off a little more. The 855 is diesel and the cattle show nearly no response to it. I can move around them and if they are laying down most won't even get up. They stay a lot more quiet around the 855. Both machines have been trouble free. I'd go Kawasaki if I couldn't have a Gator.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:08 pm

Y'all know Gators are green Mules and Teryxs right? :)

0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:14 am

Atimm693 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
ddd75 wrote:bed is junk, it'd be broke around here in a few weeks.

DCT transmission.. Do you REALLY want to drive around feeling shifts all day? That's extremely annoying to me.

Sitting position. You're IN IT.. not getting out easily.. not getting in easily. I'll take something with an easy access slide in / slide out type of configuration. When I'm jumping out every 30 seconds to work on something the last thing I need is trouble getting in out.

15k starting price and you're not even getting a diesel or a heavy duty suspension.

That transmission is the future... just like cars or trucks. $15K is right on compared to other brands. It was higher when i looked 2 years ago.

Since its still relatively new to the market, they aren't perfect, but most manufacturers have the major bugs worked out.

i was under the impression that a power reverser is hydraulically activated vs. a DCT is pretty much a computer controlled manual transmission.

Even being equal... you have 5 or 6 gear changes.. if not more.. all the time.. vs. a simple forward/reverse on a slow moving tractor. comparing the 2 is like apples to oranges.

i have seat time with pretty much every type of configuration. after putting 9,000 miles on a honda ATV with computer shifting.. I'll take anything but that.
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:49 am

ddd75 wrote: after putting 9,000 miles on a honda ATV with computer shifting.. I'll take anything but that.

That was my conclusion after driving one for 5 minutes, no more testing needed on my end. We had the highest hopes for the Honda based on past experiences, but out of every manufacturer that we tried out it was our least favorite.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Atimm693 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:36 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

i was under the impression that a power reverser is hydraulically activated vs. a DCT is pretty much a computer controlled manual transmission.

Even being equal... you have 5 or 6 gear changes.. if not more.. all the time.. vs. a simple forward/reverse on a slow moving tractor. comparing the 2 is like apples to oranges.

i have seat time with pretty much every type of configuration. after putting 9,000 miles on a honda ATV with computer shifting.. I'll take anything but that.

I was speaking from a mechanical standpoint, both are manual gear sets that shift without operator assist, even if they achieve it with different means. They are very different in operation, but that's not what I was getting at.
0 x

rockroadseminole
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rockroadseminole » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:01 pm

rockroadseminole wrote:Showing up really late to this party, but has anyone had any experience with the Mahindra units? I didn't know that they made UTVs, but I test drove one, and they seem to be a faster (35mph) better driving version of the Kubota. I was set on the Honda Pioneer due to them not being belt driven, but they have almost no room for both people and tools.

https://mahindrausa.com/xtv/c-series/mpact-xtv-750-c
https://mahindrausa.com/xtv/s-series/mpact-xtv-750-s

So, nobody has ever tried a Mahindra I take it?
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”