Need a utv opinion

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
ClodHopper37869
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Need a utv opinion

Postby ClodHopper37869 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:32 am

Kubota, 4600 trouble free miles
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:46 am

I love my John Deere Gator 825i. 6300 miles and about 1000 hours I believe. It's plenty spacious and powerful to work but will also run mid to low 40's if you want to play.
0 x
J & D Cattle

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:55 am

Anything will work. As long as it's Kawasaki
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:43 am

callmefence wrote:Anything will work. As long as it's Kawasaki

I have a 4010 and it's the perfect work truck but still have trouble with the sub-throttle actuator and have to manually move the blade from time to time.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Atimm693 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:50 am

cfpinz wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:
I have not had the best experience with Polaris, but a few neighbors run the heck out of them and don't seem to have many problems.

What issue(s) did you have with the Polaris?

07 Ranger 700XP, radiator is out front and plugs with fescue any time you go through a field, needed ball joints at 600 hours, exhaust manifold and hardware rattled loose, full engine rebuild at 1100 hours (dealer blamed it on overheating, from the radiator issue), it's been through two parking brake cables, and the ECM went bad once. It went to the dealer once a few years before the engine rebuild for an issue with the EFI as well.

Why make a UTV that you can't take across a fescue field?

The thing is touchy as can be to drive, just barely tap the throttle and it wants to take off and keep going.

That being said, this is a pretty early model and I think Polaris has worked out most of those issues.
0 x

BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:19 am

mule pro , ranger 900 xp and 570 xp 's . all the rtv-X models . i really like the rtv 500 efi gas machines with the hydro trans too
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 am

There are 3 things I will never do with out on a utv... power steering, fuel injection and the independent suspension on the rear. My Mule Pro will do any thing the 3010 o r 4010 will do as far a handle weight on the be or pulling... and much more. It is a heck of a lot easier on the back also thru hog roots or just pasture in general. I have talked several older guys in to them for that reason alone. Its amazing the bumps they can soak up. I do like the 4010 because it has good storage from the factory and a solid metal bed which are a big plus.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:58 am

Atimm693 wrote:
cfpinz wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:
I have not had the best experience with Polaris, but a few neighbors run the heck out of them and don't seem to have many problems.

07 Ranger 700XP, radiator is out front and plugs with fescue any time you go through a field, needed ball joints at 600 hours, exhaust manifold and hardware rattled loose, full engine rebuild at 1100 hours (dealer blamed it on overheating, from the radiator issue), it's been through two parking brake cables, and the ECM went bad once. It went to the dealer once a few years before the engine rebuild for an issue with the EFI as well.

The thing is touchy as can be to drive, just barely tap the throttle and it wants to take off and keep going.

That being said, this is a pretty early model and I think Polaris has worked out most of those issues.

Thanks for the explanation, I'd not be very tickled either. Are your neighbors' models newer?

My Mom has an '05 500 and it's really impressed me, that's why I've been looking at the Polaris models. I see a few of them with diesel engines and have been thinking of getting one of those, mainly because it's easier for me to work on diesels than gas engines. We'll use it primarily for spraying and fencing, so I figure the diesel engine would run a lot cooler at idle than a gas would. Wouldn't mind to have a full cab, or make one myself. We calve in Nov/Dec and checking them on the 4 wheeler gets old.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Atimm693 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:44 pm

cfpinz wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:
cfpinz wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, I'd not be very tickled either. Are your neighbors' models newer?

My Mom has an '05 500 and it's really impressed me, that's why I've been looking at the Polaris models. I see a few of them with diesel engines and have been thinking of getting one of those, mainly because it's easier for me to work on diesels than gas engines. We'll use it primarily for spraying and fencing, so I figure the diesel engine would run a lot cooler at idle than a gas would. Wouldn't mind to have a full cab, or make one myself. We calve in Nov/Dec and checking them on the 4 wheeler gets old.

Yeah, they are newer, and diesel models. Pretty slick with full doors and electric windows, just like a car. I'm sure that's reflected in the price though, says it starts good in the winter too. It doesn't get really cold here, but we usually get down to 0* a couple times a year.
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:31 pm

Brute 23 wrote:There are 3 things I will never do with out on a utv... power steering, fuel injection and the independent suspension on the rear. My Mule Pro will do any thing the 3010 o r 4010 will do as far a handle weight on the be or pulling... and much more. It is a heck of a lot easier on the back also thru hog roots or just pasture in general. I have talked several older guys in to them for that reason alone. Its amazing the bumps they can soak up. I do like the 4010 because it has good storage from the factory and a solid metal bed which are a big plus.

I do wish I had power steering. I drove one this weekend with it and it was night and day.
0 x
J & D Cattle

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:52 pm

Brute 23 wrote:There are 3 things I will never do with out on a utv... power steering, fuel injection and the independent suspension on the rear. My Mule Pro will do any thing the 3010 o r 4010 will do as far a handle weight on the be or pulling... and much more. It is a heck of a lot easier on the back also thru hog roots or just pasture in general. I have talked several older guys in to them for that reason alone. Its amazing the bumps they can soak up. I do like the 4010 because it has good storage from the factory and a solid metal bed which are a big plus.

Yes, the storage is a BIG plus. I can carry a lot of firewood and my beer cooler at the same time while still keeping my fence tools handy. ;-)
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:19 pm

100% agree with the brute 23 . power steering , EFI and IRS are what you want ,. I dont think the mule pro can be beat . They are super quiet too compared to the others and you dont hear the bed rattles, whining rear diffs , etc like most of the others . I think they will gain market share . As far as cabs go , probably hard to beat the polaris pro fit stuff and full hard cab systems or the Kubota RTVs
0 x

houstoncutter
GURU
GURU

Postby houstoncutter » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:39 pm

Drove a Kubota RTV today, it was a diesel, seems to have a lot of power. Not much of a speed wagon though. Anyone no how that machine handles the mud in pastures
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:06 am

houstoncutter wrote:Drove a Kubota RTV today, it was a diesel, seems to have a lot of power. Not much of a speed wagon though. Anyone no how that machine handles the mud in pastures

I hunt with some guys who tried to use Kubotas. They are well made machines but better for hard packed surfaces. I have told my stories on here about the Kubota bogging down and breaking thru but I was able to back up to him and pull him out with the mule. We have pastures that are sand and the Kubotas do not do well, especially when its wet.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:33 am

houstoncutter wrote:Drove a Kubota RTV today, it was a diesel, seems to have a lot of power. Not much of a speed wagon though. Anyone no how that machine handles the mud in pastures

my old neighbor had a 1100 with cab.. he went into places I wouldn't even of tried.. and we always got right out. not even a problem.

I've had mine pushing mud with the front bumper 100' lengths.. it'll just go go go.

a lot of these come with turf tires for some reason.. i had to make the dealer put on ATV tires on mine.. all the difference in the world.

the newer ones.. I think '15+ model years have high suspension
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”