Need a utv opinion

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Re: Need a utv opinion

Postby hurleyjd » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:20 am

If money is no object a bobcat utv might be okay.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:24 am

houstoncutter wrote:Drove a Kubota RTV today, it was a diesel, seems to have a lot of power. Not much of a speed wagon though. Anyone no how that machine handles the mud in pastures

The Kubota pulls like a mule, but they're heavy and will high center. You can't floor a Kubota and race your way through a mud hole that's for sure. But to me the convenience of having a diesel engine and the economy - fuel mileage is a major plus. Side by side the Kubota burns a third of the fuel that the new Mule pro-ftx burns.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:32 am

houstoncutter wrote:Drove a Kubota RTV today, it was a diesel, seems to have a lot of power. Not much of a speed wagon though. Anyone no how that machine handles the mud in pastures

I know where the mud is in the pasture and go around it. If the pasture is so muddy then how does the cows get around. Sometimes you are required to walk to get where you need to go.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:34 am

I bogged my RTV down once , Well not really bogged down but drowned it out . I drove thru a hole that I was sure was only above the tires and once I was committed I had no choice until the water came over the seat and it died . I walked to the house git the tractor and cable and pulled her out . popped the drain plug on the belt housing and fired her up and she has never missed a beat. I routinely cross muddy areas that need the 4wd. all of that being said the RTV400 I have is much lighter than the 900 or 1100 models . Mine will run about 27mph which is plenty fast on the highway or dirt roads and in the pastures. you will need to adjust the springs because they are set for max load.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

GAonmymind
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby GAonmymind » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:57 am

I checked the basic (free) warranties out first. That is the manufacturers guarantee on their product - when they think it will start to need repairs.

Polaris- 6 months
Honda- 1 year
Kawasaki - 3 years

That being said my brother has two honda's and the neighbor has a polaris. I purchased the kawasaki mule pro 4x4 fx-eps.
If you want fun and speed - polaris.
If you want to go through deep waters- honda.
If you want a work horse for the farm kawasaki mule pro. When we need to haul fencing - kawasaki. When we need to haul firewood- kawasaki - the bed is soooo much bigger. Cattle feed - kawasaki. Moving gates between farms? Put them on the bed of the kawasaki. The kawasaki pulls through deep mud and average waters. Hard to get it stuck because it is so heavy.

But if I had to do it over again - I would shell out the extra $1,500 and go diesel. Only because I want all diesel vehicles eventually. Again, that is a personal preference as I have not had one problem with my 2016 kawasaki. My cousin drives a 2006 kawasaki and it still runs the same as the day he bought it. Does not have all the cattle bite marks mine does either.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:05 pm

I love my old gas powered 4x6 gator. It's got a nice sized bed which is electric dump and it can really handle a lot of weight. The ground pressure is really low with 6 fat tires and it barely makes a mark on wet ground. Just this evening I was picking up some heavy small bales we threw off the wagon and it had no problem pulling a trailer with 25 bales. The one downside is the top speed is only about 20 mph.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:07 pm

0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

houstoncutter
GURU
GURU

Postby houstoncutter » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:48 pm

Have driven the Kubota, Honda, Kawasaki, Can Am. Like the Kubota so far for the price and the fact it's a diesel. My big question so far is will it pull a 1400 lb boat and trailer up a hill with about a 30 degree slope. Trying to launch boat off the side of a hill . Ground is solid. Sales people say it's no problem, guess I have just got skeptical in my old age
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:34 pm

That weight should not be an issue for any of them. There are pics where I have at least 20 bags of feed in the bed of my 3010 and I'm towing a round bale on here. It will climb as steep as you want like that. I pull my 21' bay boat 35mph with my Mule Pro back and forth a couple miles to may parents house where I keep it from my house. We are using a 16' lowboy behind my Pro now to haul brush. It will pull it 30mph in high, loaded.

Im very pesimistic about the Kubota because I have seen them let people down time after time. You can probably rent a Kubota and try it out first. I am not a fan of their drive train especially the hydrostatic or what ever. That is what gets them stuck most of the time is you cant mash the pedal and spin the tires to get on top. They also bind up in sand or loose dirt and wont even spin the tires. They will sit there and make a loud whining noise from the rear. Be sure it will do what you want before you buy it.

You can get both of the Mules, the Ranger, and the Gator in diesel. The Yamaha and Can Am machines are also nice. Stay clear of the Bobcat one.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:49 am

i pulled a loaded F450 with a loaded 18' enclosed trailer up a slight grade, through a muddy mess about 40' and even turned him 90 degrees. kubota was spinning all 4 tires the entire time .. neve rmissed a beat.. that F450 didn't do crap as it was 2WD..

I was impressed.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:45 am

1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:31 am

bobcat one is a polaris i think
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:18 pm

http://www.hisunmotors.com/

Saw these UTV at the tractor/equipment today. They look pretty good.
0 x

DLD
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DLD » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:45 pm

We are very happy with our 620 Gator. We use it daily checking cows and doing other chores. 850 hours and it's been trouble free so far.

My brother has a couple of the big Kubota RTV diesels that he bought for his commercial spraying business - the older one has had the spray rig off and been used on the farm for a couple of years now. They're used hard and have been very reliable. I haven't driven them much, but they feel awfully heavy to me and the hydrostat is really hard to get used to.
0 x

Drzr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Drzr » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:59 am

Polaris 900xp.....best of both worlds
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”