New farm truck

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:52 pm
Location: Western kentucky

New farm truck

Postby Ky cowboy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:06 pm

So my old dodge was stolen and totaled the other day so now I'm doing my least favorite thing truck shopping.

My last few trucks have been Cummings and ive had great luck from them, but I really don't pull heavy loads enough to justify the extra expense I think.

So ive been looking at 3/4 ton gassers mainly dodge and Chevy. Does anyone have any advise on either of these trucks. I found a 08 dodge with 97kmoles for $18k that looked good And a 14 dodge with the 6.4 for $24k it had 94k miles.

This truck will also be my daily driver and I have 3 kids under 5 so it has to be crew cab 4x4. I dont care if its carpet or vinyl floor or crank Windows. Fuel mileage is a big factor but I don't care to sacrifice some mpg for hp
0 x

User avatar
Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: NW WI

Re: New farm truck

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:09 pm

I love my GMC 3/4 ton. It has the 6.0 Vortec. I bought it at 1 year old with 11K miles on it. I use it as a daily driver back and forth to work, then hook it up to the 8X28 gooseneck stock trailer to haul my bulls nearly every weekend. I get 18mpg on the highway with no trailer. Hooked up it is closer to 15mpg. I love that it has enough snort to get the job done with the trailer, but is economical for daily driving too. I just rolled over 67K miles, and it has only gone through one set of back tires and a set of front break pads. Aside from that, literally everything has been routine maintenance. My mother has the same truck, and has had a similar experience.
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13497
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: New farm truck

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:I love my GMC 3/4 ton. It has the 6.0 Vortec. I bought it at 1 year old with 11K miles on it. I use it as a daily driver back and forth to work, then hook it up to the 8X28 gooseneck stock trailer to haul my bulls nearly every weekend. I get 18mpg on the highway with no trailer. Hooked up it is closer to 15mpg. I love that it has enough snort to get the job done with the trailer, but is economical for daily driving too. I just rolled over 67K miles, and it has only gone through one set of back tires and a set of front break pads. Aside from that, literally everything has been routine maintenance. My mother has the same truck, and has had a similar experience.
what year is it, I know the older ones are a fuel hog... But they got the power and a great eng...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

User avatar
Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: NW WI

Re: New farm truck

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:01 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:I love my GMC 3/4 ton. It has the 6.0 Vortec. I bought it at 1 year old with 11K miles on it. I use it as a daily driver back and forth to work, then hook it up to the 8X28 gooseneck stock trailer to haul my bulls nearly every weekend. I get 18mpg on the highway with no trailer. Hooked up it is closer to 15mpg. I love that it has enough snort to get the job done with the trailer, but is economical for daily driving too. I just rolled over 67K miles, and it has only gone through one set of back tires and a set of front break pads. Aside from that, literally everything has been routine maintenance. My mother has the same truck, and has had a similar experience.
what year is it, I know the older ones are a fuel hog... But they got the power and a great eng...

Mine is a 2012, my mom's is a 2014. Both are economical on fuel (in my opinion) and from what I have heard, the 6.0 Vortec is a great, long- lasting engine. In fact, my mechanic (truck needs to be service by one for warranty) is a huge Dodge fan, but even he swears by the Vortec.
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13497
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: New farm truck

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:09 pm

My sons is a 06...I drove it to town a month ago..was passing another car on a mountain.. Pushed the throttle and it scared the crap outa me,with the power that thing has...I know they've got better on fuel milage the last few years...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

User avatar
Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: NW WI

Re: New farm truck

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:26 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:My sons is a 06...I drove it to town a month ago..was passing another car on a mountain.. Pushed the throttle and it scared the crap outa me,with the power that thing has...I know they've got better on fuel milage the last few years...


My mom's is a Z71 with the high speed rear end and if you aren't careful, it will shred the tires! Mine is the standard HD, but it still growls as needed. I like knowing they have a little snot in reserve just in case....
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

jedstivers
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5685
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Marianna Arkansas (East Central)

Re: New farm truck

Postby jedstivers » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:58 pm

They very best will be a Chevy with a 8.1 and a Allision.
Hard to find though.
1 x

User avatar
Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: NW WI

Re: New farm truck

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:45 pm

jedstivers wrote:They very best will be a Chevy with a 8.1 and a Allision.
Hard to find though.

Around here, anything with an Allision tranny will be more expensive....because people (including myself) like them. Wish GM would put the Allision in its 3/4 tons... :cry2:
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

jedstivers
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5685
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Marianna Arkansas (East Central)

Re: New farm truck

Postby jedstivers » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:49 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
jedstivers wrote:They very best will be a Chevy with a 8.1 and a Allision.
Hard to find though.

Around here, anything with an Allision tranny will be more expensive....because people (including myself) like them. Wish GM would put the Allision in its 3/4 tons... :cry2:

They did put them in 3/4's.
You could get a 3/4, 8.1 with a Allision.
Noe I said those were the best I meant as far as gas burners.
I still like Diesle for me but that wasn't the op's question.
0 x

User avatar
Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: NW WI

Re: New farm truck

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:53 pm

jedstivers wrote:
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
jedstivers wrote:They very best will be a Chevy with a 8.1 and a Allision.
Hard to find though.

Around here, anything with an Allision tranny will be more expensive....because people (including myself) like them. Wish GM would put the Allision in its 3/4 tons... :cry2:

They did put them in 3/4's.
You could get a 3/4, 8.1 with a Allision.
Noe I said those were the best I meant as far as gas burners.
I still like Diesle for me but that wasn't the op's question.

Gottcha!
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13497
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: New farm truck

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:19 pm

jedstivers wrote:They very best will be a Chevy with a 8.1 and a Allision.
Hard to find though.
good eng...bad timing..the Duramax put em on the back burner..
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

jedstivers
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5685
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Marianna Arkansas (East Central)

Re: New farm truck

Postby jedstivers » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:30 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
jedstivers wrote:They very best will be a Chevy with a 8.1 and a Allision.
Hard to find though.
good eng...bad timing..the Duramax put em on the back burner..

Sure did.
I'd still like to find one in good shape to buy to keep on the farm.
I love my Duramax's but don't want a long term relationship with any particular one.
0 x

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3850
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: New farm truck

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:35 pm

The power and durability from a Vortec motor, beats any gas burners the other car companies have come up with.

Will be a sad day when GM puts the final nail in the Vortec coffin, for the hopes of better "emissions, and fuel economy."
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13497
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: New farm truck

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
jedstivers wrote:They very best will be a Chevy with a 8.1 and a Allision.
Hard to find though.

Around here, anything with an Allision tranny will be more expensive....because people (including myself) like them. Wish GM would put the Allision in its 3/4 tons... :cry2:
never seen a better transmission than that Allison, if we had to depend on those to make a living repair wise, would have starved to death..it was bullet proof..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6174
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: New farm truck

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:53 am

The GM 6.0L is a proven motor with great power and dependability.

None of the 3/4 ton gas motors will get good mpgs from any of the big 3. Expect low teens empty.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests