New farm truck

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Re: New farm truck

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:29 am

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:I love my GMC 3/4 ton. It has the 6.0 Vortec. I bought it at 1 year old with 11K miles on it. I use it as a daily driver back and forth to work, then hook it up to the 8X28 gooseneck stock trailer to haul my bulls nearly every weekend. I get 18mpg on the highway with no trailer. Hooked up it is closer to 15mpg. I love that it has enough snort to get the job done with the trailer, but is economical for daily driving too. I just rolled over 67K miles, and it has only gone through one set of back tires and a set of front break pads. Aside from that, literally everything has been routine maintenance. My mother has the same truck, and has had a similar experience.

I just barely get that out of my half ton ram hemi. Put a trailer behind it and you can forget about it. I got 8 pulling my 26ft camper. I got 10 when I pulled a ten ft 2 horse with about 1000 Lbs. of hay in it home from Oklahoma.
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:18 am

Last two farm trucks we've bought have been Dodges, strictly for the Cummins engine and straight drive transmission. From my experience, there's no other reasons to buy a Dodge than those two. Wonderful engine, p*ss poor shipping crate.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:25 am

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:I love my GMC 3/4 ton. It has the 6.0 Vortec. I bought it at 1 year old with 11K miles on it. I use it as a daily driver back and forth to work, then hook it up to the 8X28 gooseneck stock trailer to haul my bulls nearly every weekend. I get 18mpg on the highway with no trailer. Hooked up it is closer to 15mpg. I love that it has enough snort to get the job done with the trailer, but is economical for daily driving too. I just rolled over 67K miles, and it has only gone through one set of back tires and a set of front break pads. Aside from that, literally everything has been routine maintenance. My mother has the same truck, and has had a similar experience.

I would agree with that statement but it 100% opposite with the 5.3. The ones built with AFM (active fuel management or something like that). Our company has done nothing but scrap trucks and replace motors in them. 2011-2015 seem to be the worst years. I'm a Chevy man and even I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Just got my company truck back after a new motor at 215k. Used to get half a mil out of the 5.3's no problem
0 x
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:02 pm

Seen a dodge truck going through town,with a bent brush guard in the bed..looked to be a ranch hand..center bar bent right in the middle.. The truck had no damage to the front...and I thought about you..if I see him stopped somewhere gonna casually ask where he got it...usually mind my own bidness, but I hate a thief...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:51 pm

BigBear wrote:

I would agree with that statement but it 100% opposite with the 5.3. The ones built with AFM (active fuel management or something like that). Our company has done nothing but scrap trucks and replace motors in them. 2011-2015 seem to be the worst years. I'm a Chevy man and even I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Just got my company truck back after a new motor at 215k. Used to get half a mil out of the 5.3's no problem

Those ecotech3 motors with afm and aluminum block are throw away motors. Half will be fine for the long haul, the other half will be sitting in a scrap yard before 200k.
Look for a iron block, they don't have afm.
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby farmboy80 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Haven't read anything about ford. Any opinions on fords? Mainly 3/4 tons. Gas or diesel?
0 x

Allgonoshow
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Allgonoshow » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 am

The UPS guy has 532,000 miles on his 4wd Ford UPS pickup. 2012 F-350 with 6.2 gas engine. Said it was the best pickup he has ever driven. Just got a new Dodge and says he doesn't like it as much as the Ford.
0 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:38 am

After looking for weeks, and several heated conversations at car lots finally found a 2010 chevy 2500 it has 132k on it. It's the nicest truck I've ever owned just hope it will last
1 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:38 pm

Ky cowboy wrote:After looking for weeks, and several heated conversations at car lots finally found a 2010 chevy 2500 it has 132k on it. It's the nicest truck I've ever owned just hope it will last

Gas or Diesle. Either has a lot of life left. You should be happy and that's not many miles unless it came from the Delta. Mine is a 15 with 115,000, you wouldn't want one that's been where it's been.
0 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:40 am

jedstivers wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:After looking for weeks, and several heated conversations at car lots finally found a 2010 chevy 2500 it has 132k on it. It's the nicest truck I've ever owned just hope it will last

Gas or Diesle. Either has a lot of life left. You should be happy and that's not many miles unless it came from the Delta. Mine is a 15 with 115,000, you wouldn't want one that's been where it's been.

It's a gas with the 6.0 it was a local truck the guys number was still on the back window so I called and he told me everything about it which was pretty nice. Theres a few things wrong with it,paint peeled off the good in a small place and trans line with a small leak. But nothing I cant fix, theyhadnt touched it at all it was still dirty. By far the nicest thing I've ever owned.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:55 am

Good luck with your new truck, sounds like a keeper.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:19 am

Ky cowboy wrote:
jedstivers wrote:

It's a gas with the 6.0 it was a local truck the guys number was still on the back window so I called and he told me everything about it which was pretty nice. Theres a few things wrong with it,paint peeled off the good in a small place and trans line with a small leak. But nothing I cant fix, theyhadnt touched it at all it was still dirty. By far the nicest thing I've ever owned.

It even better when you get to seem them before they are cleaned up. I'd like to have one just like it.
0 x

fnfarms1
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fnfarms1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:03 pm

We had an 02 6.0L Chevy 3/4 4x4. Gutless wonder. It was a lemon from day one. Even had the extended warranty. The rear seal went out of the transmission, my dad took it to the dealer, they refused to warranty it 'cuz it has a fuel transfer tank in the back and is clearly a work truck'. It's an F'n truck, we use it like one. Anyway it always had issues. 4x4 was push button, sometimes worked sometimes not. I was stuck more in it than any other vehicle. Like I said I feel it was a lemon and not the best experience but I'd be leary of an older 6.0L.
I currently drive a 05 Cummins that I traded the 6.0L for, but when I trade again I'll go gasser for same reasons. I like the diesel power but can't justify the cost.
1 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”