Could I survive without a 4 wheel drive?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Could I survive without a 4 wheel drive?

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:07 am

Aaron wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
bball wrote:Whats the issdues with the Massey? I made it for years without 4wd, but after having it now, don't think I could go back to the aggravation.
Btw, selling my 656 was a mistake. Wish I still had her..sentimental I guess.

It is constant and never ending. Dry clutch, and I use the loader nearly every time it's ran. Not a big deal, other than this one fails about every 400 hours. Leaks hydraulic fluid like a sain from every single fitting (except the fel). Knocked a whole in the oil pan about a year ago. The old man was driving it, but he didn't remember hitting anything. I buy fuel filters 5 at a time (probably not the tractors fault, but I run the same fuel in everything). The hydraulics connectors are perfectly in line with the top link. If you don't push whatever implement your using purposefully over to the left, the top link will break the connectors. Tearing down the sheet metal to get to anything, is such a PIA, that I have considered running it without, plus your disassembling it every time you use it. There is more, but that's a good start.

I honestly don't see a problem. Massey was always notorious for leaks, so that is nothing new. Dry clutch replacement at 400 hours is operator abuse unless that model in noted for a poor clutch and then usually their is an upgrade kit. Oil pan and fuel is not the tractor's fault. Hydraulic connectors location might be the only real issue I see, and can be fixed with some hydraulic hose and connectors.

I survived up to now without a 4WD. Always carried a round bale on the back for ballast if loader work was required. Would get stuck in 2' snow banks if I didn't plow a path in front of me - but that is what a loader and bucket it for. Mud would likely be your downfall.

Clutch won't throw out fast enough. Added a spring after the first clutch. Customized a tarp strap and kept the double springs after the second. Getting close to 400 hours on this one, we'll see.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:23 am

Survive is the operative word. Anyone could survive without one, but a lot of us couldn;t get much done without it at times of the year
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:55 am

I'm kinda in the same position Bigfoot. Except the wife is demanding me to buy a new tractor.
I have 3 and it takes all three to have one i can jump on and go. She's tired of watching me constantly working on the things.they say you can get away with less HP by having 4 wheel drive. I like to hear some opinions on that.

I'm thinking of keeping my 4020 for sodbusting
Moving my 2640 to my other place and leaving it there. And selling my MF 231.
Buying a new loader tractor. I would like something 70 to 85 HP. But the Kubota m series in 56 HP 4x4 with loader has a very attractive price.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:25 am

I can do twice as much with my 6310 MFWD (100ish hp?) than I can with the 4430 that has the fuel cranked. Plus it's quiet, usually starts, easy on fuel, the AC blows cold, the radio works, etc, etc..... The 4430 MIGHT handle my 18' disc a little better in the right conditions.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:26 am

callmefence wrote:I'm kinda in the same position Bigfoot. Except the wife is demanding me to buy a new tractor.
I have 3 and it takes all three to have one i can jump on and go. She's tired of watching me constantly working on the things.they say you can get away with less HP by having 4 wheel drive. I like to hear some opinions on that.

Buying a new loader tractor. I would like something 70 to 85 HP. But the Kubota m series in 56 HP 4x4 with loader has a very attractive price.

He!! with sod busting. I'd keep that 4020 for a retirement plan.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:28 pm

New ones aren't all what they are cracked up to be.
I'm getting more and more disgusted with new stuff.
There's a reason I want a 4050 or 4250 instead of a brand new one in the same hp range.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:42 pm

callmefence wrote:I'm kinda in the same position Bigfoot. Except the wife is demanding me to buy a new tractor.

I'm not impressed with the real hp - torque of a Kubota tractor. A 80 hp John Deere has the same hp - torque as a 90 hp Kubota, in the real world. Just keep that in mind when your buying, otherwise I think you'll be happy with a Kubota tractor. We have a 1k hours now on our new Kubota and no problems yet.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Atimm693 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:53 pm

littletom wrote:We made it for years feeding with a 2wd loader tractor. Now we completely killed that tractor in process. A NH 6635 still have but its in rough shape and well worn for a 20 year old tractor. After wearing out that tractor I know some would disagree, but I think a loader tractor needs 4wd not so much for it but the heavier front end. I really think in my situation for what you just said I would pick 4wd over the cab. But I do not have to travel on the road much feeding in winter. If you have to roll hay with it be hard to give up cab.

This is a good point.

Got an IH 5240 2wd with a Westendorf loader. 4400 hours, and the front end is in pretty bad shape. Both wheel bearings, one hub, and it needs a spindle and steering arm on one side.

Case Maxxum 110 MFWD with Bush Hog loader, 4000 hours and I have never done a thing to the front end. As far as wear goes, it's still like new.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:52 pm

jedstivers wrote:New ones aren't all what they are cracked up to be.
I'm getting more and more disgusted with new stuff.
There's a reason I want a 4050 or 4250 instead of a brand new one in the same hp range.

You got that exactly right
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Clod Hopper
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Clod Hopper » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:29 pm

My tractors are both 2 wheel drive because that is all I could afford starting out but I get along fine feeding. I drove a 7040 kubota raking hay. It was 4x4 with a cab and loader. The ride was so bad I felt like I had been in a fight and lost bigly! Lol. I would rather have 4x4 on a loader tractor though. My plan is to buy gravel and build a road to where I feed hopefully there will be less mud and ruts.
0 x

BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:33 pm

bigbull338 wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
bigbull338 wrote:trade your tractor off for another 4x4.the M5s are nice but new they cost $63,600.i just traded a 2013 7040su 4x4 fel rops hydro for a 2012 case 110a cab 4x4 hydro fel.

I can't spend what a new cab tractor cost.

that case 110a listed for $43.900.he gave me $23.500 for the 7040.so i gave $19,000 for the tractor.i liked 1yr on mine paying it off.so my new note is $24,000 for 4yrs

I would of liked the 7040 for 23,500 . Especially if it had the power shuttle option . will not go back to a mechanical shuttle after having the hydro shuttle . Im looking for a 7040 , 8540 , 9540 . or 7060 and up etc open station or cab
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:44 pm

We have several older 2wd tractors and do ok with them. They are like lawn darts with front end loaders in wet areas.

Going forward I will only purchase 4wd. Its not as much about the mud to me as the smoother ride and heavy duty tires on the front.

I notice a lot of the newer 4wd tractors come with some pretty narrow little tires.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:36 pm

The turning radius seems to be tractor to tractor. My dads tractor takes some area to turn not bad but what you would expect from 4x4. Bit of a pain to back a wagon with. I have a smaller 4x4 same make that turns and operates like a 2wd. Mine does have wheels all the way out for 40'' rows though.
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:30 pm

Putting airplane tires on the front of your 2wd tractors keeps them out of the mud a little better. Better be able to turn with your brakes if you have slick mud though
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:36 pm

BobbyLummus1 wrote:
bigbull338 wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I can't spend what a new cab tractor cost.

that case 110a listed for $43.900.he gave me $23.500 for the 7040.so i gave $19,000 for the tractor.i liked 1yr on mine paying it off.so my new note is $24,000 for 4yrs

I would of liked the 7040 for 23,500 . Especially if it had the power shuttle option . will not go back to a mechanical shuttle after having the hydro shuttle . Im looking for a 7040 , 8540 , 9540 . or 7060 and up etc open station or cab

the 7040 had the hydro shuttle thats the only reason i bought.because my left knee is bad and iy saved it from getting beat up.im thinking he will sell my tractor for $25,000 to $27,000.the case 110a is a hydrolic shuttle as well.gotta get a new battery for the 110a though this week.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”