Home made Boom Pole

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Home made Boom Pole

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Anyone ever make their own boom pole ? I am starting on a boom pole with scraps I have just laying around. I plan on using it just for pigs. I am planning on using 2" square tube with 3/8 inch walls for the frame that goes to the tractor and I also have some 1 inch square tube which will be the actuall boom portion atleast I think its 1 inch may be 1.5" Do you think if supported properly and is 8 ' long it would hold a 400lb hog lets say?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Home made Boom Pole

Postby dun » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Maybe if you run it with the corners being at 12 3 6 and 9
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:43 pm

dun wrote:Maybe if you run it with the corners being at 12 3 6 and 9

Makes sense to me. I will start on it tonight maybe since I cant seem to sleep at night
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rollinhills » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:13 pm

that would be the weakest way you could turn the tubing.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:38 pm

If braced well it might pick-up a pig. But that's a very light duty boom pole.
Have your pigs ate so many donut's they can't stand?
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:29 pm

callmefence wrote:If braced well it might pick-up a pig. But that's a very light duty boom pole.
Have your pigs ate so many donut's they can't stand?

Lol I generally use a tractor with loader but don't like it getting so close to the fire. So wanted something that sticks further out
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:41 am

1" square tubing is a waste of time, you're pushing the envelope and limiting yourself to only light duty use of the boom.

I made a jib boom that slides over a set of forks to set trusses with my loaders, believe it's 3-1/2" sch 40 with a sliding jib made out of 3" sch 40. It's somewhere around 12-15' or so without the jib, which adds another 8 or 10 feet. It's well braced and handles 40' trusses fine. Biggest issue is slowing down the loader hydraulics to have some control over it, the length magnifies your movements right smart. Particularly nerve racking with a skid loader having foot controls...

Moral of the story, find some pipe and build it strong enough to do other tasks with, too.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:05 am

cfpinz wrote:1" square tubing is a waste of time, you're pushing the envelope and limiting yourself to only light duty use of the boom.

I made a jib boom that slides over a set of forks to set trusses with my loaders, believe it's 3-1/2" sch 40 with a sliding jib made out of 3" sch 40. It's somewhere around 12-15' or so without the jib, which adds another 8 or 10 feet. It's well braced and handles 40' trusses fine. Biggest issue is slowing down the loader hydraulics to have some control over it, the length magnifies your movements right smart. Particularly nerve racking with a skid loader having foot controls...

Moral of the story, find some pipe and build it strong enough to do other tasks with, too.

I have schedule 40 pipe 2" and 3" Which would you use I am not sure I will use the pole for anything other than pigs but then again im sure I may find something. I never considered the pipe since I have no way to bend it.
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:00 am

Very seldom have I made something and thought to myself "Man, I wish I had made that lighter."

3" will accept 2-1/2" and 2" will take 1-1/2" should you decide to make a jib later. I used C-channel to make the fork receptacles and framework, then welded the pipe to the cross pieces and added some 3/4" rod as overhead bracing. Maybe just a tad overkill...
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:04 am

I cheated when I built one. I bought a used junker post hole auger and just welded fasteners for chains on the end
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:53 pm

1" is pretty light to be hanging 200 lbs 8' out. Sounds like heat will be applied when using it too. I think it would do it but it'll have a bow to it. If you had a band or cable across the top from end to end it would work
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:58 pm

I plan to make a hydraulic boom pole later and may use 2 piece's of channel bolted and welded together.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Started on boom pole and a 3pt trailer moving hitch

0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:20 pm

One we have now has moving joint where pole comes over part that goes to lift arms.
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:23 pm

Trailer mover for gooseneck? Weld ball into top of hay fork. Great for also putting log chain to pull stuff too, that little bit of lift on chain is handy.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”