Half and 3/4 Top Cattle Trailer

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
northcreek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Half and 3/4 Top Cattle Trailer

Postby northcreek » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:23 am

I am looking at cattle trailers, and can see where a 3/4 top trailer could be very useful. However, I am concerned about animals trying to climb or jump out. Does anyone have any experience with these types and is that a problem?
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Half and 3/4 Top Cattle Trailer

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:29 am

Yes cattle can come out with out a top. They are usually putting horses in the open part.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:42 am

If you can think it,, cattle can do it...don't want them to see that much daylight
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 am

I've seen people do it, but I wouldn't dream of putting cattle in an open top trailer (unless the sides were 8' tall).
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:09 am

We use them to catch cattle. Fine to put gentle cattle or horses in the back, but the jail cell up front is reserved for unruly customers. This trailer even has dog boxes in the gooseneck and a calf cage in the front of the box.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:51 am

Ours was open top back in about 1980 when it was new. Dad's FIL welded a wire panel up to keep goats from climbing out. Last year one of my less than tame mamas jumped up and hit the top. Broke the weld loose and proceeded climb over the side and out the top, then into the nearest wooded area. The sides are tall enough that I don't have to duck inside so I'd say 6.5 ft tall. It wasn't easy for her but she got the job done.
0 x

northcreek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby northcreek » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:56 am

Farm Fence,that is the kind of trailer I am looking at. That is a Big Bend correct? Are you pleased with it? I really like the dog boxes and saddle racks, but can't decide if I want to add that expense.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:11 pm

northcreek wrote:Farm Fence,that is the kind of trailer I am looking at. That is a Big Bend correct? Are you pleased with it? I really like the dog boxes and saddle racks, but can't decide if I want to add that expense.

Yes, it's a Big Bend. That one is my buddy's....mine isn't as nice. I really like it, and so does he. They made that trailer for some big ranch rodeo championship, and it didn't sell very quick, so he got a good deal. When I replace mine, I'd like that same trailer. I'd spring for the saddle racks and dog boxes, if you use dogs, as well as the under fender tool boxes. They are dang handy.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
northcreek wrote:Farm Fence,that is the kind of trailer I am looking at. That is a Big Bend correct? Are you pleased with it? I really like the dog boxes and saddle racks, but can't decide if I want to add that expense.

Yes, it's a Big Bend. That one is my buddy's....mine isn't as nice. I really like it, and so does he. They made that trailer for some big ranch rodeo championship, and it didn't sell very quick, so he got a good deal. When I replace mine, I'd like that same trailer. I'd spring for the saddle racks and dog boxes, if you use dogs, as well as the under fender tool boxes. They are dang handy.

I thought it looked a little out of place West of the Mississippi. Great craftsmanship on those trailers.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Easley makes some nice ones like that. You can customize them how you want. Heard about some that have a gate to load double deckers out the side. Have not seen one in person yet.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:50 pm

I bought a 7 x 24 Big Bend a few months back and love it so far. It a full length solid roof not a catch trailer. They are more expensive but but not so much if you would add all the features that come stock on to another conventional trailer such as Neckover or Gooseneck. They are very well designed and solid built. The gap at the bottom lets most of the manure out and prevents the build up that causes rust on most trailers. Under the floor is square tubing, not channel or angle. I truly believe it will out last me in this business.
0 x

northcreek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby northcreek » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:18 am

One of the main reasons I was considering the 3/4 top was that when I catch my cattle and calves I use my mule and I know you can get a ramp on the Big Bends and was thinking if it had an open 3/4 top that I could pull my mule into the trailer to load up at different fields. For those of you that have a Big Bend, were they discounted off the msrp any?
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:17 pm

I am not sure what the MSRP was on my trailer but I know I paid somewhat less than the asking price and I believe that was somewhat below the MSRP. If you order one built like you want, you lose some of the leverage in pricing. When I ask about it, the owner of the company told me it was a 10 week lead time and would be moderately higher than something they had on the lot. Where are you located Northcreek?
This will get you some ideas on pricing.

http://www.lloydtrailer.com/trailers/li ... -trailers/
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Idk how someone could justify buying one of those if not a commercial hauler. Could pay for hauling for many years for that price.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:23 pm

My trailer has hoops over the top.. I've had some darned unruly cows in it and they haven't made it out.

Funny this should come up now.. my friend posted this yesterday
http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/0 ... ullamarine
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”