Half and 3/4 Top Cattle Trailer

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Half and 3/4 Top Cattle Trailer

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:25 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Idk how someone could justify buying one of those if not a commercial hauler. Could pay for hauling for many years for that price.

It's strictly convienence. Cheaper to pay some one else to haul but it becomes a pia at a certain point to always be at the mercy of the hauler.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:45 pm

northcreek wrote:One of the main reasons I was considering the 3/4 top was that when I catch my cattle and calves I use my mule and I know you can get a ramp on the Big Bends and was thinking if it had an open 3/4 top that I could pull my mule into the trailer to load up at different fields. For those of you that have a Big Bend, were they discounted off the msrp any?

That's a good reason. I won't buy another cattle trailer that my mule won't fit in either. It's too handy and it's what my cattle are use to.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

northcreek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby northcreek » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Bird Dog, I am located in North Alabama, and I have never seen one in this area, but I saw one at the National Cattleman's association once and I felt like it was the best trailer I have ever seen. For my needs anyway. As far as justifying the expense, I have had junk and home made trailers my entire life. I have had an axle come out with a load going down the road. I have had a bull rip through the side of one. Fortunately I was in the pasture at the time. I am tired of repairing, risks, and liability of pulling a sub par trailer. I have pondered the expense for a while and I feel like a used trailer is going to set me back 4-6k and that is for about a 5-10 year old trailer. I could buy a top of the line 20-24 foot trailer for about 12,500. If I keep it and use it for 20 years, even if it has zero value at the end of that time I only have $650 a year in it. If I haul 10-15 times a year I come out as cheap or cheaper than paying someone to haul for me. I then have the convenience of moving cattle when I want and need.
0 x

northcreek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby northcreek » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Nesikep wrote:My trailer has hoops over the top.. I've had some darned unruly cows in it and they haven't made it out.

Funny this should come up now.. my friend posted this yesterday
http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/0 ... ullamarine

That is exactly what I am afraid of!
0 x

northcreek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby northcreek » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:55 pm

bird dog wrote:I am not sure what the MSRP was on my trailer but I know I paid somewhat less than the asking price and I believe that was somewhat below the MSRP. If you order one built like you want, you lose some of the leverage in pricing. When I ask about it, the owner of the company told me it was a 10 week lead time and would be moderately higher than something they had on the lot. Where are you located Northcreek?
This will get you some ideas on pricing.

http://www.lloydtrailer.com/trailers/li ... -trailers/

Thanks for the link I have been looking online and haven't found a lot.
0 x

DLD
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DLD » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:00 am

A good place to see what's available and how it's priced is horsetrailerworld.com
You can search by area, and even for a particular brand.

I've often thought that type of trailer would be handy for hauling a utv. They're also good for moving big stock tanks or round bale feeders that wouldn't fit in a covered trailer.
0 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:54 am

RanchMan90 wrote:Idk how someone could justify buying one of those if not a commercial hauler. Could pay for hauling for many years for that price.

Every body does things different. I could find groundload trailers and pots here to haul cattle with out a problem, but finding some body besides a neighbor to haul a gooseneck load would be about impossible.
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 am

The Big Bends are made in Mexico and are shipped to the border and then usually to Alpine TX so you will have some freight expense. I have met the man the runs the operations in Alpine and he helped design the trailers for his use. They are rugged trailers for rugged use. I pull some loads across pastures and my old trailer would always drag on something. The Big Bends have a roller on the back to help with this and prevents you from tearing something up.
I use a Honda Rancher for my horse and its not unusual to have it in the trailer mixed in with a load of calves.
They have a lot of neat features like cut gates that work easily from the outside. The gooseneck hookup can be done without having to get into the bed of the truck. The back gates slam shut. (I hate saloon doors where you have to lift the rod to shut them.) An escape door. Interior LED lighting. A dog or calf area in the neck. The floor runners go across the trailer not lengthwise and are square tube. Mine has a lifetime cleated floor and 14 ply tires and two interior cut gates. Once I added what I wanted to the basic Gooseneck brand or Neckover, the price was very close.
0 x

DLD
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DLD » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Allenw wrote:

Every body does things different. I could find groundload trailers and pots here to haul cattle with out a problem, but finding some body besides a neighbor to haul a gooseneck load would be about impossible.

Exactly. Most of the guys I know that do haul with goosenecks won't move for less than $200 a load. That's not bad for hauling a full load 30 miles to the sale barn, but it would get awfully expensive in a hurry if it cost that every time you needed to move a bull to or from pasture, or run one or a few to the vet. I know everybody's different, but there's just no way I'm not going to own a stock trailer as long as I own cattle.
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Checkout Ranch World ads lots to see on there
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”