2014 5085 E Warning Lights

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
HDRider
GURU
GURU

2014 5085 E Warning Lights

Postby HDRider » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:43 pm

#6 (the diamond with the !) and # 14 (bulb looking 2nd light under the diamond !) Come on periodically when I am under power. They go off if I idle down, but might come back 30 minutes or 3 hours later.

#6 is called Service Alert Indicator - I looked at the codes and nothing is concerning.

#14 is called the Engine Information Indicator - Again no codes are concerning. The owner's manual says check the oil. I did and it's OK.

I have talked to two different service managers at Deere dealers. They say don't worry about it. I do worry. This tractor costs a lot of money, and getting things fixed is expensive, and if I can catch it early maybe it won't be so expensive.

Anyone else see anything like this?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

SmokinM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: 2014 5085 E Warning Lights

Postby SmokinM » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:42 pm

I have 2012 5100m same dash and operating system. Mine has done that maybe 3-4 times in 1300 hrs. Seems to do it if I move all 3 transmission levers real quick on one push of the clutch and has done it a couple times a few minutes after start up. Never stays on more than a second. Seems like a sensor some where gets a bad read or has to catch up with what I am doing.

If it is happening just running it or doing a lot more often than that I would be concerned maybe. If you know it has all the fluids and it is not very often or soon after startup and goes right out probably wouldn't worry me to much. How long does it stay on?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:57 pm

I have the JD 5083E, 2012. There are service lights that come on. For example, if the air intake detector senses a decrease in air intake, a light comes on indicating time to clean or service the air filter and air intake trap. It has been a while since I studied the dash lights. I would refer to your operators manual. Mine explains all the light indicators and what should be done. Like you say, these tractors are expensive. It is disgusting to say, but dealerships don't seem concerned.

My 2014 F250 had a noise I thought was coming from the drive belt. The dealership said don't worry about it until I have a problem. I took it to a mechanic in Maysville, who is a wizard. He said there was definitely something wrong. Turned out to be the idler pulley. Fixed it and I feel much better. Hope this helps.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:45 pm

All I can think of is maybe lugging it down too much so the revs aren;t in a good working range.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Just talked to a friend of mine that is a whiz with JDs. He said they have had that happen if the revs get below about 800 OR if the oil is a quart low and the tractor tilts in just the right direction.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:59 am

Dash Light #14 (the icon looks like a light bulb):

As dun mentioned. The oil pick up is in the rear of the oil pan. I have steep hills that I mow going up and down the hill. I noticed light 14 would come on going DOWN. I mentioned it to a friend at the dealership. It is a common issue. Just keep the oil level up to the top. Not telling you to do this, but I top mine off just above the line.

I never see the light come on since I started doing that.
0 x

Kjfred
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Kjfred » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:10 am

We have an international tanker at the fd that the dash lights up only going around a left hand corner. (Took a while to figure out it wasnt random) I beleive it ended up being a sensor that wasnt just right. Certainly unsettling not knowing if its a false alarm or serious problem.
0 x

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:32 am

Have you ever removed the plastic bowl at the bottom of your fuel filter? It will have a wiring harness on it that is connected to a water sensor. Periodically, we will have to remove these and clean thoroughly making sure that the sensor (you will see the small metal sensor head) is very dry before reinstalling it. We had the same thing happen to us and this was the culprit! Hope you figure it out because it is very frustrating!
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:44 am

I was on flat land, running at 1,700 RPM, not lugged. I have looked at the manual, and I said that. Not low on oil or any other fluid. I recently changed the fuel filter. The lights came on before that too.

It goes off after a few minutes, or if I idle down.

It came on yesterday as I was driving down the road at 2,000 RPM. Idled down, and it went off. I keep thinking there is a software error.
0 x
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:37 pm

HDRider wrote:I was on flat land, running at 1,700 RPM, not lugged. I have looked at the manual, and I said that. Not low on oil or any other fluid. I recently changed the fuel filter. The lights came on before that too.

It goes off after a few minutes, or if I idle down.

It came on yesterday as I was driving down the road at 2,000 RPM. Idled down, and it went off. I keep thinking there is a software error.

Ok. The oil pick up is not the issue. I agree with the software prospect.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Sometimes a bad earth will cause multiple lights to light up.

Ken
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:15 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Sometimes a bad earth will cause multiple lights to light up.

Ken

I think that might be it.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”