Owning a trailer

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Owning a trailer

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Good point made in another thread and I've derailed enough for today. So at what point do you think a trailer is necessary?
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: Owning a trailer

Postby Rafter S » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:03 pm

At the point where you want to move cattle whenever you want, and not whenever you can get someone to do it for you.
4 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:15 pm

The point when you can afford it.
4 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Its only necessary when you need one,, which could be any time between Monday and next Sunday... Ive done without a lot of things,but a stock trailer ain't one of em...
4 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Most can really get by with a half ton pickup and a bumper pull trailer for emergencies. Groups large enough for goosenecks and pots should be a planned sale anyway. :2cents:
2 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:57 pm

I agree with all of the above replies, and Ranchman90 stated exactly what I have and do. Usually, I just have one to a few to haul, and a 16' bumper hitch will do that. When we have a bigger group to take or have bought, I can call on a friend that does hauling.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:02 pm

I do not like borrowing anything because 99% of the time something breaks and I gotta replace it or make it better than when I borrowed it so I just buy whatever I need when I can afford it. I just bought a trailer couple weeks ago cause I needed one for a month and a half instead of renting or borrowing one... I do not like borrowing.
5 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:09 pm

All good answers so far. I don't have a lot of cows, but I seem to have to hook to trailer several times a week. So, I guess it's contingent on everybody's tolerance for inconvenience.
3 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Bigfoot wrote:All good answers so far. I don't have a lot of cows, but I seem to have to hook to trailer several times a week. So, I guess it's contingent on everybody's tolerance for inconvenience.

Amen! Because if you let them borrow yours you never know what condition it will be in once it's returned. The majority of the time we pick our battles and hook up/load/deliver, etc. The favor is returned by their offer to help when/if we need it or just by showing up and pitching in.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Don't forget those holidays when a cow decides its time to screw the whole day up... Or your regular vet is on vacation.. And have to travel to another one,a county over...the list of reasons continues....
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:43 pm

For conveyance a trailer is worth a lot but if I could hire things done as I need it i would sell mine tomorrow. Have owned a gooseneck since 1988. Wouldn't have a bumper hitch cattle trailer unless I knew where to sell it.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:36 pm

I have a 20' gooseneck and use it to haul stuff besides cattle all the time. I've even camped in it while hunting in Kansas.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:50 pm

I'm with KT. I have a 20' gooseneck, and I'd rather pull it to haul one cow than a 12' bumper hitch.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 pm

We have a 16' Gooseneck brand, bumper pull. It is full size width, has a divider gate, full size rear gates, brakes, etc. That sucker pulls smooth as silk and is easy to get in and out of places. It's one of my favorite trailers to take to look at bulls or shuffle a few cows here and there. I took our Brahman bull thru the Whataburger drive thru when I brought him home. :)

I used an all aluminum livestock trailer a couple weeks ago to haul some heifers about 3 hours round trip. It was amazing how light that sucker pulled. That was my first experience pulling an aluminum trailer and I see why people like them. You hardly even notice it back there and my mpgs showed it.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:26 pm

We used to have an older 16' Cherokee brand gooseneck, then got into raising dairy calves, and used a truck topper, then a goat gopher to haul them. Traded down I guess for a newer 16' CornPro bumper pull. It pulls good and is easy to handle. Sometimes cattle get to rockin it and it feels a little hairy goin down the road, but usually it isn't too bad. Goosenecks do feel more stable to me, this trailer does what we need it to though.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”