Owning a trailer

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Re: Owning a trailer

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:29 am

neither a borrower nor a lender be...
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 am

For me it depends on how convenient it is.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:52 am

i have some old 16' bumper pull. it's a big tank and as heavy as one.. It'll pull your truck back empty. grabs tons of wind..

but i've put probably 10k miles on it so i can't complain.. wish I had a nice aluminum 20 or 24' but i get by :cboy:
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:23 am

We move cattle from one place to another several times a year. I just upgraded to a 24' because it was taking to many trips. Already thinking i Should have went 32. I've got a 16 instead of selling it I think I'm going keep it we can haul with 2 trucks.
With the exception of small utility trailers I won't even look at a bumper pull
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:45 am

callmefence wrote:We move cattle from one place to another several times a year. I just upgraded to a 24' because it was taking to many trips. Already thinking i Should have went 32. I've got a 16 instead of selling it I think I'm going keep it we can haul with 2 trucks.

The 24 gets small quick when hauling cows, especially if it's not a wide trailer.

This will be my next trailer... 28', 7'6", 7' tall. I want the extra height for my mule.

http://www.gooseneck.net/gooseneck-trai ... ilers.html
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:50 am

We've got a 16" bumper that was really cheap or we wouldn't have bought it. I like it for our 4H animals, hauling a couple horses, or moving small loads around. Have a 20X7 when we move the cows from place to place or haul a bigger load of calves. I hate relying on somebody else and their schedule.
0 x
J & D Cattle

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:01 am

Brute 23 wrote:
callmefence wrote:We move cattle from one place to another several times a year. I just upgraded to a 24' because it was taking to many trips. Already thinking i Should have went 32. I've got a 16 instead of selling it I think I'm going keep it we can haul with 2 trucks.

The 24 gets small quick when hauling cows, especially if it's not a wide trailer.

This will be my next trailer... 28', 7'6", 7' tall. I want the extra height for my mule.

Like to have one of those too,, but a 24 footer...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:07 am

Dad has a 14 ft that was his father in laws. If we didn't have it I guess we would buy one but would probably pay the sale barn to haul for us at least a few times first. I also have a 12 ft like a 2 horse but shop built. I picked it up for 400. I figured I couldn't go wrong for that kind of money. We only haul one or two times a year. Usually only three or four at a time. Most i ever had on the trailer was six and it was standing room only. I can see where it might be better for us to pay someone but it's nice to be able to load whenever and not try to line something up.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:10 am

Craig Miller wrote:Dad has a 14 ft that was his father in laws. If we didn't have it I guess we would buy one but would probably pay the sale barn to haul for us at least a few times first. I also have a 12 ft like a 2 horse but shop built. I picked it up for 400. I figured I couldn't go wrong for that kind of money. We only haul one or two times a year. Usually only three or four at a time. Most i ever had on the trailer was six and it was standing room only. I can see where it might be better for us to pay someone but it's nice to be able to load whenever and not try to line something up.

We've got a 14 foot bumper pull that we've had for almost 20 years. At the old farm that was a big a trailer as you could get in and move around between buildings and fences. When I need a bigger one I use the neighbors.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:20 am

Brute 23 wrote:

Thanks alot brute. :lol2:
Your probably right. There's a big price difference for that extra axle. A couple of my place's require some jackknife and spin on a dime to get to the pens.
Which of course can be a bad deal on three axle's. Hence my decision to buy the 24 and keep the 16 instead of trading the 16 for a 32.
Well see how it goes. If it was a bad decision it certainly won't be the first... :D
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:42 am

callmefence wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Your probably right. There's a big price difference for that extra axle. A couple of my place's require some jackknife and spin on a dime to get to the pens.
Which of course can be a bad deal on three axle's. Hence my decision to buy the 24 and keep the 16 instead of trading the 16 for a 32.
Well see how it goes. If it was a bad decision it certainly won't be the first... :D

Sorry, didn't mean to pile it on. These trailers hold their value. If you decide to swap it around it won't be very costly. Far from what I consider a bad decision.

They make tandem 28s, doubt it on a 32. I would not get a triple axle either.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 am

callmefence wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Does anybody make one with an axle that lifts?
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:53 am

the need of a cattle trailer depends on how much you will use it.the last few years we hired a cattle hauler because we only had 3 or 4 loads.our bumper pull has diesel tanks in it.so its not used.have a 24ft gooseneck that we use and another bumper pull if needed.right now the 1ton is staying hooked to the 32ft gooseneck flatbed.
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:14 am

i have a 24 ft but I use it for everything I need to haul. load of sod....mulch...the mule goes inside or 2 quads...I use it for everything..we might even put a bedroll in it and camp with the mule but idk yet...
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:56 pm

I have a 20' bumper pull... did without for years, but it definitely is handy.. has slide-in stock racks, I can haul about 18 calves which is perfect for me.. about 6-8 cows depending on size. I wouldn't want to move my whole herd around with it, but after we got a $700 bill for shipping one load of calves to the sale barn, I was looking pretty hard for a trailer.. It's paid for itself in a hurry with those prices!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”