Dodge truck questions

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Dodge truck questions

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:23 pm

Had one since January, and I've still got a few questions.

3500 gas burner btw:
1. I try not to drive thru pasture in a vehicle. Horse or atv prefered. Sometimes can't be avoided. Transmission seems to try and shift while doing it. Never does it any other place. Is this the time for the +/- option? If it is, I can't get mine to go in it.

2. Blinks me a message so fast, it took a while to make out what it was. Says 4wd shift in progress. May beI need to take it in for some warranty work. Idk. Doesn't do it often, but it does do it.

3. Some light indicating something about the fog lights comes on when I run the dims. Doesn't do it on bright. All lights are working fine on both high and low. What's going on there.

4. Hooked to a load, with the tow haul on backing of the gas will cause I'm assuming a serious down shift. Races the motor. I'm sure it's doing what it's supposed to, but it seems like overkill.

pretty obvious, I ain't the most mechanically minded person. Especially when it comes to this newer stuff. Sorry, but I gotta ask somebody.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Dodge truck questions

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:07 pm

1..yes I go to 1st
2.. idk
3..idk
4.. yes engine brake saves your brakes
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:40 pm

3. Fog lights won't come on with brights. That is normal.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:01 pm

1 you just shift down with the buttons and your in it. It will still shift though. So if you manually put it in 3rd for instance it will shift 1 2 3 but won't go any further.
2 I had my transmission card changed at 30k. Might want to have that checked out. Problem is they won't do anything if they can't see it happen themselves.
3 Idk
4 fenceman partially correct. No engine brake on your gas burner but it uses the transmission like an engine brake so it shifts downs to control speed and sometimes the shift seems a little premature
0 x

DLD
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DLD » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 pm

I have a '16 Chevy 3500 gas truck. I can't speak to your first 3 questions, but I'm right there with you on the fourth one. Mine does it way worse if tow/haul is engaged, but will do it some without it being on. Like you, I'm sure it's doing what it's supposed to, but it sure seems extreme. There are a couple of spots on my weekly trip that I turn off the tow/haul, because it screams so bad, no matter what I do. I'm sure those are the places it needs it the most, though...
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm

Thanks for the help.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:22 am

On #2 it sounds normal.. it only takes it an instant to shift.. if the light would stay on for any length of time that would be a problem.. Can't help much with the rest
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:55 am

The button on the shifter is the way to go for riding through pasture.

The fog light light, is indicating a problem with the fog lights. Not sure what the problem is though.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:13 am

Bigfoot wrote:The button on the shifter is the way to go for riding through pasture.

The fog light light, is indicating a problem with the fog lights. Not sure what the problem is though.

I don't know about gas but on the diesel with a stock bumper the oil coolers are extremely unprotected.
Only a strip of plastic that I broke off mine the first month. The trans oil I believe cooler is completely exposed to any stick ,stump, whatever.
As soon as time allows I'm going to make a guard out of expanded metal.
It's only a matter of time and something expensive is going to happen there.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”