Tractor Exhaust

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:30 am

Nesikep wrote:I can't weld, thus I can sew the 1/2" gaps!

On a big hole, lay a piece of rod across it, tack the two ends.. burn the rest of the rod off, then lay the rod beside the one you just tacked in, and repeat until you have it filled in!

:D usually the 1/2 gap is caused by the knucklehead doing the fitting.
I carry 1/2 by 12 gauge flatbar for filler.
Sounds like you know GORILLA WELDING. Never ever never hire a welder to build fence. They just can't do it.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4509
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am

callmefence wrote:
greybeard wrote:
Nesikep wrote:My best advice is to take another rod, smack all the coating off it, and use that as a heat sink.. you hold it like you were oxy acetylene welding, with the handheld rod in the arc.. really handy for filling big holes too.. heaven knows, I've made lots of them!

Yes. I call it 'sewing'. My father could do it much much better than I can, almost second nature.
No matter what, you have to move the electrode faster than you would normally weld at.
I've welded a lot of 14 and 16 ga by kind of skipping the rod along the seam pretty fast, depositing a bit of metal all along both sides of the seam. Some people call it 'padding'. Let it cool, wire brush it, then do it again, then going back and 'sew' it together using the heat sink rod.
Others do it a little differently:
http://survivalengineer.blogspot.com/20 ... n-002.html


Gorilla welding... I've welded plenty of exhaust, a couple cracked hydraulic lines and grandmas wheelchair... with stick

If you can't sew a half inch gap. You can't weld


Why would anyone ever have to fill a 1/2" gap. Sounds like someone doesn't know how to fabricate, or read a tape measure. I know I can't weld a 1/2" gap over head in one pass.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12344
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby Nesikep » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:46 am

I was talking about big holes burnt in thin metal.. In any other circumstance of course I'd put a filler piece in.

I worked at a fab shop for a while and was the guy cutting the steel, I was always getting in trouble for cutting it the right length, they said it's much easier if it's 1/4" short and to fill in a 1/8th gap on each end!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:47 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:
greybeard wrote:Yes. I call it 'sewing'. My father could do it much much better than I can, almost second nature.
No matter what, you have to move the electrode faster than you would normally weld at.
I've welded a lot of 14 and 16 ga by kind of skipping the rod along the seam pretty fast, depositing a bit of metal all along both sides of the seam. Some people call it 'padding'. Let it cool, wire brush it, then do it again, then going back and 'sew' it together using the heat sink rod.
Others do it a little differently:
http://survivalengineer.blogspot.com/20 ... n-002.html


Gorilla welding... I've welded plenty of exhaust, a couple cracked hydraulic lines and grandmas wheelchair... with stick

If you can't sew a half inch gap. You can't weld


Why would anyone ever have to fill a 1/2" gap. Sounds like someone doesn't know how to fabricate, or read a tape measure. I know I can't weld a 1/2" gap over head in one pass.


You'd be surprised the things you run into when you actually work for a living.
You go on and keep playing like you do and running your mouth.. every time you open you just show how much you don't know.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4509
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:00 pm

I know how to cut and fabricate metal somewhat, and aluminum and SS better than most. It takes the same amount time to make the right cuts and fit the pieces together properly, if you know how to lay out, fabricate and read a tape measure. This is a case of do as I say not as I do, but it's a fact. A good layout man is way harder to find than a good welder.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:07 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I know how to cut and fabricate metal somewhat, and aluminum and SS better than most. It takes the same amount time to make the right cuts and fit the pieces together properly, if you know how to lay out, fabricate and read a tape measure. This is a case of do as I say not as I do, but it's a fact. A good layout man is way harder to find than a good welder.


That is Right in some cases and dead wrong in others. Your a armchair cowboy who's been to class but not to work. in the real world you would starve to death.

I burn 50 pounds of rods a week and I can fill that gap faster than you can light the torch.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12344
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby Nesikep » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:46 pm

I cut it twice and it's still too short!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:59 pm

I fixed my 4020 muffler with a piece of ht wire and a gripple.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8003
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby 1982vett » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:02 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Well a limb decided to knock my muffler loose on a tractor while bush hogging I was driving the service truck with the welder " stick " on it. I let the exhaust cool and then proceeded to weld it with stick after burning a hole in it at 55amps dcep I decided to drop it to 40amps was hard to get an arc cranked it up to 45 amps still hard but better but managed to get it back together with no leaks and fixed the hole where I burned through. I didn't want to drive 30 mins back to mig weld it and drive back. Has anyone ever stick welded exhaust before are there any tips or tricks you can offer incase this happens again ? I used 1/8 7018 that's all that I had on the truck.

Datgumit sky....what in the world is going on when a tree trimmer lets a tree limb treat you this way....... :shock: ....I'd have figured them treelimbs would respect you better than this. :lol:
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:12 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:
greybeard wrote:Yes. I call it 'sewing'. My father could do it much much better than I can, almost second nature.
No matter what, you have to move the electrode faster than you would normally weld at.
I've welded a lot of 14 and 16 ga by kind of skipping the rod along the seam pretty fast, depositing a bit of metal all along both sides of the seam. Some people call it 'padding'. Let it cool, wire brush it, then do it again, then going back and 'sew' it together using the heat sink rod.
Others do it a little differently:
http://survivalengineer.blogspot.com/20 ... n-002.html


Gorilla welding... I've welded plenty of exhaust, a couple cracked hydraulic lines and grandmas wheelchair... with stick

If you can't sew a half inch gap. You can't weld


Why would anyone ever have to fill a 1/2" gap. Sounds like someone doesn't know how to fabricate, or read a tape measure. I know I can't weld a 1/2" gap over head in one pass.



This is right now today. Not only do the post have to be saddled they have to be saddled to match the steep and constantly changing terrain . There will be some gaps. I don't care who you are
Or in your case who you think you are. There's gonna be some. And the fastest way to deal with it. Is to sew em up.

Image
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17736
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:27 pm

1982vett wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Well a limb decided to knock my muffler loose on a tractor while bush hogging I was driving the service truck with the welder " stick " on it. I let the exhaust cool and then proceeded to weld it with stick after burning a hole in it at 55amps dcep I decided to drop it to 40amps was hard to get an arc cranked it up to 45 amps still hard but better but managed to get it back together with no leaks and fixed the hole where I burned through. I didn't want to drive 30 mins back to mig weld it and drive back. Has anyone ever stick welded exhaust before are there any tips or tricks you can offer incase this happens again ? I used 1/8 7018 that's all that I had on the truck.

Datgumit sky....what in the world is going on when a tree trimmer lets a tree limb treat you this way....... :shock: ....I'd have figured them treelimbs would respect you better than this. :lol:


Man I gets no respect ... I guess that's what I get for turning their ancestors into firewood :lol:
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4509
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Any half azz welder can fill a 1/2" gap in schedule 40 pipe, even overhead. We started out talking sheet metal and now we're on to pipe....imagine that. I don't know about in the real world, but I made it in my world and have the belly to prove it.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:51 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Any half azz welder can fill a 1/2" gap in schedule 40 pipe, even overhead. We started out talking sheet metal and now we're on to pipe....imagine that. I don't know about in the real world, but I made it in my world and have the belly to prove it.


I think your all talk... always have... always will till you show me different
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4509
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:57 pm

callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Any half azz welder can fill a 1/2" gap in schedule 40 pipe, even overhead. We started out talking sheet metal and now we're on to pipe....imagine that. I don't know about in the real world, but I made it in my world and have the belly to prove it.


I think your all talk... always have... always will till you show me different


I don't have to prove nothing to anyone besides my family, and you can bet your hot sweating azz that I'm not outside working in this heat. Hunting, fishing and playing golf all the time is not for everyone, but I like it.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Tractor Exhaust

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:04 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Any half azz welder can fill a 1/2" gap in schedule 40 pipe, even overhead. We started out talking sheet metal and now we're on to pipe....imagine that. I don't know about in the real world, but I made it in my world and have the belly to prove it.


I think your all talk... always have... always will till you show me different


I don't have to prove nothing to anyone besides my family, and you can bet your hot sweating azz that I'm not outside working in this heat. Hunting, fishing and playing golf all the time is not for everyone, but I like it.


You wanna put me down for working you go head. I'll work till the day I die.
And again you show what a piece you are.

I'll hunt and fish on my money not daddy's.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests