Wilson aluminum stock trailer

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Wilson aluminum stock trailer

Postby Nesikep » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:15 am

Wondering what you guys think about this unit.. I'm thinking the price is a little optimistic... Any known issues with these?

https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/grd/d/ ... 64468.html

0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Wilson aluminum stock trailer

Postby Aaron » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:28 am

Older unit, no slider inside - the inner wheel wells would take it off my list entirely. I wouldn't offer a dime over 8k for it. If it wasn't for the wheel wells, up to 10k would be a fair price assuming it's been looked after.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:33 am

We were thinking of bidding $8500... the wheelwells being the biggest issue to us as well
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:34 pm

Some newer Wilson's have those bottom two rows of punching eliminated. Would you have to cover those on this trailer? To prevent an animal from sticking a hoof through?
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Aaron wrote:Older unit, no slider inside - the inner wheel wells would take it off my list entirely. I wouldn't offer a dime over 8k for it. If it wasn't for the wheel wells, up to 10k would be a fair price assuming it's been looked after.

Never had one with The wheels inset like that, as hot as those tires can get I wonder do they run hotter... Here even with running boards on our baking asphalt the tires have a come apart...let alone being low driving across our fields...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Chocolate Cow wrote:Some newer Wilson's have those bottom two rows of punching eliminated. Would you have to cover those on this trailer? To prevent an animal from sticking a hoof through?

with docile cattle it probably isn't an issue,.. bucking stock may have issues with them though
0 x

SmokinM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SmokinM » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:49 pm

My 4 star has the fender wells in it and while not ideal they aren't as big a deal as you think especially on an 8' trailer. Wilson is a great trailer. As to what it's worth not sure how the money goes in Canadian dollars but here in good shape an aluminum trailer will bring about $1k less than it sold for new.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:45 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Chocolate Cow wrote:Some newer Wilson's have those bottom two rows of punching eliminated. Would you have to cover those on this trailer? To prevent an animal from sticking a hoof through?

with docile cattle it probably isn't an issue,.. bucking stock may have issues with them though

Bucking stock ride like its second nature to them...in fact it is..they spend hours on trailers...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:53 pm

I have a 2001 model. The inside fender wells are not an issue. It adds width to the inside of the trailer by doing it that way. Mine has had thousands of head hauled and other than 1 set of brakes nothing repaired. If I was buying another trailer it would be a Wilson.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:55 pm

if a 27 year old trailer is only a grand less than new, dang that's a better investment than just about anything out there.
The Wilson trailers do look well built.

If my roads had a few less twists and turns in them I'd be less leary of the fenders sticking in so much, they just have nothing to lean on there and are bound to go down, that's never good.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:13 pm

The fenders only go in 4" and that's on a slope. The body of the animal still is against the side of the trailer.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:08 am

On most trailers they only go in that much.. that's not a problem.. on the one I posted they go in like 10", which is enough to throw one off balance
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:28 am

Nesikep wrote:The Wilson trailers do look well built.

:nod: I'll certainly agree with you there.
I have no direct experience with them, but I can't say I've heard anything bad about them.
While aluminum trailers hold their value well, I will disagree that they only depreciate $1,000
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:30 am

It'd bring about 8k here, assuming the floor is good.

I remember one time someone telling me the Wilson's were riveted together instead of welded, giving them a little flex and less susceptible to damage on rough roads therefor. Always wanted to try one, just never happened upon the right deal.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

SmokinM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SmokinM » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:40 pm

I bet if you look at what that trailer sold for new it isn't much more than $1k more than you are willing to pay for it. I didn't mean a $1k less than a new one. I bought an Exxis in 1998 for $8500 sold it in 2013 for $7500 and had people begging for it including the dealer I bought it from. You buy it and keep it for 10 yrs. bet you still get $7k plus on it if you take care of it. At least around here.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”