opinions on these chainsaw models

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:42 pm
Location: SE MN

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby Franke » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:52 pm

We sell Stihl at work and I would sell you the MS362 or if you really wanted the MS441 is back to being orderable and that would be very good with a 25" bar. The MS391 is in the farm and ranch line while the MS362 is in the professional line ( better pieces and design and oiler adjustment)
0 x

User avatar
jerry27150
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:57 am
Location: northern missouri

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby jerry27150 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:38 pm

check echo, they have a five year warranty. I would buy one if I need a new one. have a husky now & love it
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12344
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Franke wrote:We sell Stihl at work and I would sell you the MS362 or if you really wanted the MS441 is back to being orderable and that would be very good with a 25" bar. The MS391 is in the farm and ranch line while the MS362 is in the professional line ( better pieces and design and oiler adjustment)

I was told to stay away from the MS362 and stay with the older style MS361.

I would check Echo as well.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:42 pm
Location: SE MN

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby Franke » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Franke wrote:We sell Stihl at work and I would sell you the MS362 or if you really wanted the MS441 is back to being orderable and that would be very good with a 25" bar. The MS391 is in the farm and ranch line while the MS362 is in the professional line ( better pieces and design and oiler adjustment)

I was told to stay away from the MS362 and stay with the older style MS361.

I would check Echo as well.

We've sold a number of the MS362's and people have been pleased. You just can't get a new MS361 new anymore. And if you came into the store we just have new nothing used.
0 x

User avatar
JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:30 pm
Location: West Central Highlands of Va

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby JW IN VA » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:53 pm

My 362 has done well for me.Have kinfolk who sell firewood off their farm.They use 362s.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12344
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:58 pm

I have no experience with new saws.. just going from what I heard
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Western tip of VA

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby jltrent » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:57 am

Here is one of the problems I see with the Stihl MS362 chainsaws and all new saws including Echo. Look at the pics of the carburetor. It costs $125.99 and that is from Baileys which I am sure is cheaper than Stihl. It takes four hands to put them on which I put one on a Husky 460 last week and is not easy and like I sad before if they run right good, if not good luck. The new coils on them are the same story. The government has ruined them and it is not a matter of if but when you will have problems and expect at least a $200 cost to even get anybody to look at theses low-emission POS. No parts will interchange from any other saw (stihl 036 and MS360 are bout 90%+ parts interchangeable) I have noticed non-runner Stihl MS362 going dirt cheap on ebay and that is to high. Try to find a good condition Stihl 036, ms360 or ms361.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Parts/Part ... 0-0604.axd

Image

Here is a carb for a ms360 that takes about five minutes to put on and cost 1/3 or less of what a MS362 will cost.
Image
Last edited by jltrent on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
cfpinz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5334
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby cfpinz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:15 am

JW IN VA wrote:My 362 has done well for me.Have kinfolk who sell firewood off their farm.They use 362s.


Neighbor works for a dealership that sells Stihl, and offered to buy me a 362 a couple years ago at his cost. I couldn't turn it down once he told me the price. I love the saw, cuts great but to me the idle doesn't sound "consistent".
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Western tip of VA

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby jltrent » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:02 am

cfpinz wrote:
JW IN VA wrote:My 362 has done well for me.Have kinfolk who sell firewood off their farm.They use 362s.


Neighbor works for a dealership that sells Stihl, and offered to buy me a 362 a couple years ago at his cost. I couldn't turn it down once he told me the price. I love the saw, cuts great but to me the idle doesn't sound "consistent".


Carb related or small air leak. A good idea to run pure gas to get as much life out of the carb, gas lines etc. as possible before an expensive fix. Putting new fuel lines on these are tough and want be cheap for a dealer to put on (labor cost).

I have one of these to test vacuum and pressure and usually that is one of the first things I would do if an air leak is suspected.

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-s ... 988888_0_0

Image
0 x

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:44 am

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby Atimm693 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:40 am

jltrent wrote:Here is one of the problems I see with the Stihl MS362 chainsaws and all new saws including Echo. Look at the pics of the carburetor. It costs $125.99 and that is from Baileys which I am sure is cheaper than Stihl. It takes four hands to put them on which I put one on a Husky 460 last week and is not easy and like I sad before if they run right good, if not good luck. The new coils on them are the same story. The government has ruined them and it is not a matter of if but when you will have problems and expect at least a $200 cost to even get anybody to look at theses low-emission POS. No parts will interchange from any other saw (stihl 036 and MS360 are bout 90%+ parts interchangeable) I have noticed non-runner Stihl MS362 going dirt cheap on ebay and that is to high. Try to find a good condition Stihl 036, ms360 or ms361.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Parts/Part ... 0-0604.axd

Image

Here is a carb for a ms360 that takes about five minutes to put on and cost 1/3 or less of what a MS362 will cost.
Image


460 is a homeowner saw, none of those are easy to work on, be it Stihl, Husqvarna whatever.

The same qualms were had when fuel injection came out. Nobody can work on it, parts are expensive, it'll never last, blah blah blah.

Again, I've had one for 3 years, it's been perfect. I never winterize it, always use 87 pump gas with ethanol, and it runs just like it did when it was new. Within two or three cuts it has adjusted to run perfectly, which is nice for the big temperature/humidity swings that we have here.

It does not run overly lean, it still burps blue smoke when cold and has a solid 4 stroke. In fact it will compensate for an air leak and save your saw, I had a leak from my decomp and didn't even know it until I saw some fuzz building up around it.

Take it from someone who owns one, don't sweat Autotune/M-Tronic. It's a great system.

Send me all of those dirt cheap MS362's you can find. I can't find anything under 200 bucks.
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12344
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby Nesikep » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:57 pm

I just saw a MS361 with a fresh rebuild for $400 + shipping in Keithsville LA on a chainsaw group on facebook.. Looks to be in really nice shape
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Western tip of VA

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby jltrent » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:27 pm

460 is a homeowner saw, none of those are easy to work on, be it Stihl, Husqvarna whatever. The new style carburetor has made them a lot harder and expensive to work on be it any saw.



The same qualms were had when fuel injection came out. Nobody can work on it, parts are expensive, it'll never last, blah blah blah.

Again, I've had one for 3 years, it's been perfect. I never winterize it, always use 87 pump gas with ethanol, and it runs just like it did when it was new. Within two or three cuts it has adjusted to run perfectly, which is nice for the big temperature/humidity swings that we have here.

It does not run overly lean, it still burps blue smoke when cold and has a solid 4 stroke. In fact it will compensate for an air leak and save your saw, I had a leak from my decomp and didn't even know it until I saw some fuzz building up around it.

Take it from someone who owns one, don't sweat Autotune/M-Tronic. It's a great system.

Send me all of those dirt cheap MS362's you can find. I can't find anything under 200 bucks.[/quote] [u]For a saw that cost over $700 there sure is a lot of them cheap, real cheap just look down this list. On average they are way below the older generation saws they replaced selling wise as $200 will buy a pretty nice looking saw for repair. Repair on them is very expensive. I like rebuilding the saws being it a 036, ms360, MS361, but I almost wouldn't have one of these for repair. /u]

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... Complete=1
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12344
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby Nesikep » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:50 pm

I have enough saws, but I don't see how you guys (non professionals) can spend so much on a saw.. $200 on a fixer upper is far more than I'd pay.. I bought my 044 for $45.. it was a fixer upper.. it needed a new recoil rope.. runs like a champ though and will last for years. If it's a professional tool it's totally different, it's making you money.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:44 am

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby Atimm693 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:47 pm

jltrent wrote:460 is a homeowner saw, none of those are easy to work on, be it Stihl, Husqvarna whatever. The new style carburetor has made them a lot harder and expensive to work on be it any saw.



The same qualms were had when fuel injection came out. Nobody can work on it, parts are expensive, it'll never last, blah blah blah.

Again, I've had one for 3 years, it's been perfect. I never winterize it, always use 87 pump gas with ethanol, and it runs just like it did when it was new. Within two or three cuts it has adjusted to run perfectly, which is nice for the big temperature/humidity swings that we have here.

It does not run overly lean, it still burps blue smoke when cold and has a solid 4 stroke. In fact it will compensate for an air leak and save your saw, I had a leak from my decomp and didn't even know it until I saw some fuzz building up around it.

Take it from someone who owns one, don't sweat Autotune/M-Tronic. It's a great system.

Send me all of those dirt cheap MS362's you can find. I can't find anything under 200 bucks.
[u]For a saw that cost over $700 there sure is a lot of them cheap, real cheap just look down this list. On average they are way below the older generation saws they replaced selling wise as $200 will buy a pretty nice looking saw for repair. Repair on them is very expensive. I like rebuilding the saws being it a 036, ms360, MS361, but I almost wouldn't have one of these for repair. /u]

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... Complete=1[/quote]

I'm not sure why that is. A lot of those old dinosaurs like 038 Mags bring crazy money on Ebay. Great old saws, but I wouldn't want to spend much time running them. Bought one at a police auction once with the rear handle all busted up, new tank assembly and it was up and running. I sold it on Craigslist for 275.

Strato carbs are here to stay. They are more complicated, but have more power and a wider powerband.

I don't think there's any money in buying parts saws on Ebay. Too much risk for a saw that you know nothing about, could end up being scrap metal. Anything over 100 bucks is too much of an investment to me.
0 x

ClodHopper37869
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Re: opinions on these chainsaw models

Postby ClodHopper37869 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Back in the early 70's, we used the old blue Homelite XL12,the 1st models out didn't a have muffler, just kind of a straight-out with a few holes in it, LOUD. Needless to say I'm extremely hard of hearing.
So I prefer a Stihl simply because the engine sounds sweeter to my damaged hearing. :D LOL.. aint :bs: but its true.....
0 x


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dun and 2 guests