GM Cars in the Future

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

GM Cars in the Future

Postby slick4591 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:33 am

0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

shaz
GURU
GURU

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby shaz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:09 am

Not just GM. Some countries are planning to eliminate (ban) gas and diesels by 2030 or 2040.

Don't let an electric car scare you. They have some great advantages.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 am

shaz wrote:
Don't let an electric car scare you. They have some great advantages.

Absolutely. A friend of mine has a model S Tesla, now the fastest production car ever built in 0-60 time. All electric all wheel drive. He told me to make sure my head was back against the headrest and floored it. Unbelievable acceleration. Also has automatic driving mode which is mind boggling to me, totally hands free driving.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:05 pm

My brother has been driving electric hybrids for a couple years now. He likes them. No issues so far.

For cars I don't see why not other than cost at this point but that will change in the next 5-10 years.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:13 pm

It will have some major economic impacts.

Should be good for the US.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:30 pm

My deal with them is the range of power and when you need a charge. Maybe they've improved the charging situation, I don't know. I'd sure hate to overnight somewhere so my batteries got charged for another 300 miles.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:35 pm

slick4591 wrote:My deal with them is the range of power and when you need a charge. Maybe they've improved the charging situation, I don't know. I'd sure hate to overnight somewhere so my batteries got charged for another 300 miles.

I followed your link. Not going to happen overnight. But says all the major car makers are going in the electric car direction. So the bugs will get worked out.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:23 pm

No exhaust, no transmission. Whole lot less stuff to wear out.

What I'm not seeing is electric vehicles finding their way into applications that require lower power to weight ratios like bulldozers and tractors. Seems like a good fit but no one is running with it yet.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:48 pm

shaz wrote:No exhaust, no transmission. Whole lot less stuff to wear out.

What I'm not seeing is electric vehicles finding their way into applications that require lower power to weight ratios like bulldozers and tractors. Seems like a good fit but no one is running with it yet.

Caterpillar is. Look up the D7E. It has a diesel that powers a generator and the drive is electric. Ive been doing a lot of pipeline work lately and have been seeing a lot of D7Es in action. They are calling them a hybrid dozer.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:08 pm

slick4591 wrote:My deal with them is the range of power and when you need a charge. Maybe they've improved the charging situation, I don't know. I'd sure hate to overnight somewhere so my batteries got charged for another 300 miles.

The battery technology will be 100+X what we use now in 5 years. So will solar panels. That is what will be the game changer.

My brothers cars have been hybrids so he can run electric and when it runs out he switches to a gas motor.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:21 pm

Brute 23 wrote:My brother has been driving electric hybrids for a couple years now. He likes them. No issues so far.

For cars I don't see why not other than cost at this point but that will change in the next 5-10 years.

It is very inefficient your making electricity with fossil fuel to charge a battery.
This is psychics 101 it takes X pounds of carbon to move Y pounds to Z.
It doesn't matter if it comes from a internal combustion engine or out the smokestack of a Utility company.
I would have to research the electric car if I remember correctly gasoline is 30% efficient. The electric car is like 50% the efficiency to make the electricity isn't counted against it.
You still have the same amount of drag on both all things equal. The electric is more efficient losing the tranny where it looses efficiency is the production of the electricity. This goes back to boiler, generator, transformer, transmission lines, temperature etc. loosing in every step. This is the smoke and mirrors the consumer doesn't see.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Postby jkwilson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:36 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:My brother has been driving electric hybrids for a couple years now. He likes them. No issues so far.

It is very inefficient your making electricity with fossil fuel to charge a battery.
It doesn't matter if it comes from a internal combustion engine or out the smokestack of a Utility company.
I would have to research the electric car if I remember correctly gasoline is 30% efficient. The electric car is like 50% the efficiency to make the electricity isn't counted against it.
You still have the same amount of drag on both all things equal. The electric is more efficient losing the tranny where it looses efficiency is the production of the electricity. This goes back to boiler, generator, transformer, transmission lines, temperature etc. loosing in every step. This is the smoke and mirrors the consumer doesn't see.

Bingo!
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:46 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:

Cheaper to transport gasoline? I highly doubt it.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Regenerative braking.
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:03 pm

And now here is where it really gets stupid. First of all, the electric grid can not in its present form handle the load. Imagine everyone in the big city coming home from work and sticking their car on a charger. You don't plug these things into a regular wall socket. They require a lot of amperage.
Next they have been trying to improve batteries for quite a while with very little progress. May happen, may not. Is there enough lithium to go around?
Last the green folks are doing there best to get rid of coal plants. Nobody mentions that you will need these to generate the power to charge all these machines, Just ask China.
Wind energy is not economic. Solar is and getting better but still has to have back up generation. Nat. gas is best but will get more expensive if it is the only thing left after coal and nuclear are gone.
I'm sorry to say (well not really) but gasoline and diesel are going to be used much longer than these companies and the media realize.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”