GM Cars in the Future

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21057
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 pm

bird dog wrote:And now here is where it really gets stupid. First of all, the electric grid can not in its present form handle the load. Imagine everyone in the big city coming home from work and sticking their car on a charger. You don't plug these things into a regular wall socket. They require a lot of amperage.
Next they have been trying to improve batteries for quite a while with very little progress. May happen, may not. Is there enough lithium to go around?
Last the green folks are doing there best to get rid of coal plants. Nobody mentions that you will need these to generate the power to charge all these machines, Just ask China.
Wind energy is not economic. Solar is and getting better but still has to have back up generation. Nat. gas is best but will get more expensive if it is the only thing left after coal and nuclear are gone.
I'm sorry to say (well not really) but gasoline and diesel are going to be used much longer than these companies and the media realize.


Natural gas isn't the bill of goods being sold it still takes x pounds of carbon to produce a btu no matter if those pounds of carbon came from coal or natural gas.
That is why everyone thinks their diesel truck gets better mileage than there gas it actually doesn't on pounds of carbon burned to move x pounds.
When you pull up to the pump for gasoline you buy 6 pounds of energy for a gallon, when you buy diesel you get 7.5 pounds. Gasoline is based on a C-8 hydrocarbon octane diesel is based on a C-16 hydrocarbon Cetane.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21057
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:27 pm

shaz wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:My brother has been driving electric hybrids for a couple years now. He likes them. No issues so far.

For cars I don't see why not other than cost at this point but that will change in the next 5-10 years.



It is very inefficient your making electricity with fossil fuel to charge a battery.
This is psychics 101 it takes X pounds of carbon to move Y pounds to Z.
It doesn't matter if it comes from a internal combustion engine or out the smokestack of a Utility company.
I would have to research the electric car if I remember correctly gasoline is 30% efficient. The electric car is like 50% the efficiency to make the electricity isn't counted against it.
You still have the same amount of drag on both all things equal. The electric is more efficient losing the tranny where it looses efficiency is the production of the electricity. This goes back to boiler, generator, transformer, transmission lines, temperature etc. loosing in every step. This is the smoke and mirrors the consumer doesn't see.


Cheaper to transport gasoline? I highly doubt it.


On a btu basis I bet it is.
One gallon of gas = roughly 115k btus
This is all about btus doesn't matter if it's at the power plant the plug or pump were buying btus.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14131
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:31 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
slick4591 wrote:My deal with them is the range of power and when you need a charge. Maybe they've improved the charging situation, I don't know. I'd sure hate to overnight somewhere so my batteries got charged for another 300 miles.


The battery technology will be 100+X what we use now in 5 years. So will solar panels. That is what will be the game changer.


Yessireebob!! AND!!...we're all gonna have flyin cars and residential and commercial electricity is gonna be just too cheap to even meter.Just wait..you'll see.

What are you eating today?
free bubbleup and rainbow stew
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 688
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:43 pm

shaz wrote:No exhaust, no transmission. Whole lot less stuff to wear out.

What I'm not seeing is electric vehicles finding their way into applications that require lower power to weight ratios like bulldozers and tractors. Seems like a good fit but no one is running with it yet.


Draglines and shovels have been running on electricity for several decades.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Northern Ohio

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby ohiosteve » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
shaz wrote:No exhaust, no transmission. Whole lot less stuff to wear out.

What I'm not seeing is electric vehicles finding their way into applications that require lower power to weight ratios like bulldozers and tractors. Seems like a good fit but no one is running with it yet.


Draglines and shovels have been running on electricity for several decades.

And trains
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21057
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:51 pm

ohiosteve wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
shaz wrote:No exhaust, no transmission. Whole lot less stuff to wear out.

What I'm not seeing is electric vehicles finding their way into applications that require lower power to weight ratios like bulldozers and tractors. Seems like a good fit but no one is running with it yet.


Draglines and shovels have been running on electricity for several decades.

And trains

Submarine and ship as well have used diesel electric for decades.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3702
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby Rafter S » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
ohiosteve wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Draglines and shovels have been running on electricity for several decades.

And trains

Submarine and ship as well have used diesel electric for decades.



I believe some submarines are nuclear as well. Maybe some day we'll have tiny nuclear reactors in our cars.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Northern Ohio

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby ohiosteve » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Rafter S wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
ohiosteve wrote: And trains

Submarine and ship as well have used diesel electric for decades.



I believe some submarines are nuclear as well. Maybe some day we'll have tiny nuclear reactors in our cars.

Now that's thinking outside the box. I bet there's someone working on it right now...
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:33 pm
Location: North Central Texas

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby bird dog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Rafter you are probably closer than you think. They already have nukes the size of a car that will power a neighborhood. The tech is just not being pursued due to public refusal to accept the waste and fear of a disaster.
These units are enclosed in a steel and concrete structure that is never reopened. At the end of its lifetime the whole unit is disposed of as is and a new one could be put in its place. If these were to happen, than electric vehicles would be very competitive.
Here is an old article.
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/1124/107.html
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21057
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:18 pm

Iran is currently working on small nukes for America
1 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21057
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:21 pm

bird dog wrote:Rafter you are probably closer than you think. They already have nukes the size of a car that will power a neighborhood. The tech is just not being pursued due to public refusal to accept the waste and fear of a disaster.
These units are enclosed in a steel and concrete structure that is never reopened. At the end of its lifetime the whole unit is disposed of as is and a new one could be put in its place. If these were to happen, than electric vehicles would be very competitive.
Here is an old article.
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/1124/107.html


No way in HeII is that happening the government is after our guns now.
There is no way they are letting you have a dirty bomb in the driveway
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
shaz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1246
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 pm
Location: Middle Tn

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby shaz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:48 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
shaz wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

It is very inefficient your making electricity with fossil fuel to charge a battery.
This is psychics 101 it takes X pounds of carbon to move Y pounds to Z.
It doesn't matter if it comes from a internal combustion engine or out the smokestack of a Utility company.
I would have to research the electric car if I remember correctly gasoline is 30% efficient. The electric car is like 50% the efficiency to make the electricity isn't counted against it.
You still have the same amount of drag on both all things equal. The electric is more efficient losing the tranny where it looses efficiency is the production of the electricity. This goes back to boiler, generator, transformer, transmission lines, temperature etc. loosing in every step. This is the smoke and mirrors the consumer doesn't see.


Cheaper to transport gasoline? I highly doubt it.


On a btu basis I bet it is.
One gallon of gas = roughly 115k btus
This is all about btus doesn't matter if it's at the power plant the plug or pump were buying btus.



Just googled this. At my current electric rate the cost is about even.

The ratings are based on EPA's formula, in which 33.7 kilowatt hours of electricity is equivalent to one gallon of gasoline, and the energy consumption of each vehicle during EPA's five standard drive cycle tests simulating varying driving conditions.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21057
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:12 pm

So roughly 700 kilowatts per fill up "recharge" would be equivalent to a 20 gal fill up. If that is true gas would be about half the cost per fill up/ recharge at my kilowatt rate.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 688
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:21 pm

Rafter S wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
ohiosteve wrote: And trains

Submarine and ship as well have used diesel electric for decades.



I believe some submarines are nuclear as well. Maybe some day we'll have tiny nuclear reactors in our cars.


I'm not talking diesel/electric or having a nuclear powered electrical generator on board.....I'm talking about dragging an umbilical cord everywhere they go, plugged right into the grid. You know....good clean zero emissions kind of coal mining equipment. :lol: Lots of battery/electricity powered equipment underground, as well.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 688
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: GM Cars in the Future

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV_GgNfmTus

One of the 2570's that swing in my neighborhood. All electric...drags a cord.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests