Mahindra Tractors

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
herofan
GURU
GURU

Mahindra Tractors

Postby herofan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:06 pm

How do you all feel about Mahindra tractors? I have a friend who has owned one for several years, and he loves it. He says they are becoming the new Massey Ferguson around here.

That statement may not mean anything depending on where you live, but around here in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, Massey Ferguson was "the tractor." He says Mahindra is starting to take over as they once did.

I ask because I have always wanted a Massey Ferguson but never owned one. I thought if I can't find a Massey like I want, maybe I should just go with Mahindra.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Mahindra Tractors

Postby Nesikep » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:28 pm

I think the engines are decent, they're a Perkins as well.. I think all the new engines are built in China and India anyhow regardless of the paint they put on after... Same goes for front axles.. Mahindra has the same axles as Kubota and Massey I believe... Other things you might have quality control problems.. I would DEFINITELY flush all the systems after 100 hours of work to make darned sure all the casting sand and etc get a chance to escape.

I just am terrified of the costs involved with these Tier 4 emissions regardless of brand.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:30 pm

This one is like what we, actually my son just bought... 7 year warranty on every thing in black.. Not enough time in it to tell yet.. But, their starting to get hot around here.. I believe their sneaking up on the market.. Like Toyota did in the car bidness...https://www.google.com/search?q=mahindr ... 1851nSyjTM:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

BrangusUSA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BrangusUSA » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:37 pm

We looked at and almost bought a Mahindra six months ago. Got cautioned by several people on availability of parts. Husband looked at all of them. Did not like JD because of proprietary issues on repairs. I liked Massey Fergusons. My cousins swear by MF and Kubotas. Husband picked out and we ended up buying a Branson tractor. Factory is down the road in Rome, Ga. So far we are very pleased. Check with me again in 15 years and I will have better info. on it.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Neighbor bought a ~60hp model with cab and loader on it could years back. It has been sitting in the shop almost all summer waiting on some parts that have to come from India and aren't available until somebody over there decides to build them. Dealer said hopefully by snowfall he will have it back together again..

IMO that is unacceptable for a piece of equipment that I depend on to make me money. I've been upset having to waiting on some CNH parts that have to come from England and take a week..... haha
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:14 pm

Bought my mahindra 3616 4 years ago and it's been a great tractor. Wish it was bigger but I make do with it. I'm at 450hrs now.
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:46 pm

See very few here. But did hear a small farmer in the area bought a little one. Pretty much Deere, Kubota, then cnh on late model stuff around here.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:16 pm

Light chores, they might be ok. Put one to work,and it'll fly to pieces. Pieces that have to come from over seas. They don't save money, they cost.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby southernultrablack » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

I have the 4025 4wd with loader. Pretty basic machine. I've had it about 4 yrs with no major issues. I put out hay with it, 4x5 and 5x6 rolls. Bush hog and have done a little discing too.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Most common new light duty 40ish horse tractor around me. They have bigger at the dealer but i havent seen one in use anywhere.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:21 pm

Don't want one. Trade-in/sales valve is almost giveaway. I have watched them for years sale on Ebay and bids are hard to come by on them and the Kubotas have bids galore. That tells me all I want to know.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:30 am

jltrent wrote:Don't want one. Trade-in/sales valve is almost giveaway. I have watched them for years sale on Ebay and bids are hard to come by on them and the Kubotas have bids galore. That tells me all I want to know.

We just considered and then unconsidered a Mahindra for that reason (low resale) and also reviews on lack of parts and I guess some people had problems the very first week with them. Got a (used) JD instead.
0 x

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:07 am

FIL bought a bigger one this year, don't know the model , over 100hp, he seems happy so far . Traded in a NH that he had multiple problems with , time will tell Iguess.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:24 am

Had a Mahindra 4500 several years ago. Never had any mechanical problems with it. Has a rough ride but is very heavy and has very strong hydraulics. No problem at all moving large round hay bales. Noticed we have a new dealer down the road about an hour and have heard they have a huge parts inventory for whatever thats worth. All I ever did to mine was service it.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:49 am

jltrent wrote:Don't want one. Trade-in/sales valve is almost giveaway. I have watched them for years sale on Ebay and bids are hard to come by on them and the Kubotas have bids galore. That tells me all I want to know.

I looked at one also and decided to go with JD. May cost a little more but will hold resale value.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”