Barn for cattle info?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
BryanM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Barn for cattle info?

Postby BryanM » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but here goes! I am putting a new barn in it is a manure storage barn.(great lakes area). Anyway it is a partial state grant type barn. It will have 5 foot walls, concrete floor and the pole building will be set ontop of walls. Here is where I need help or thoughts are on the concrete work. They want a 3 foot footer then an 8foot tall (3 ft in ground). the wall will be 8 in thick reinforced with rebar. the floor will be 6inches thick and reinforced.
The footer 3 foot seems a little to excessive and a 6 inch floor also seems a bit overkill? what do you think?
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Re: Barn for cattle info?

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:39 pm

I would think a 16" would work, or maybe a 20" footer would be fine...but you said something about government...............
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Excessive or not they make the rules and won't vary from them.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:32 pm

UP here a 3' deep footer wouldn't be deep enough. And imo a 6" slab isn't excessive if you plan on running heavy equipment on it all the time.
1 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:24 am

Sounds like their getting it below you frost line. And 6in doesn't sound too thick to me considering the weight of manure plus equipment
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:31 am

If you're up around Great Lakes, I'm shocked they didnt want 42" minimum on footers. 6" slab with mesh sounds appropriate.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

BryanM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BryanM » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:52 am

As I am reading threw the comments on the thread, by the way thank you, I may have left out a few factors. Such as I can make my own plans up if I have an engineer sign and stamp the plans. Frost line where I am at is 32inches. I guess my concerns of over kill are the footer being 36 inches and the depth of the floor. And here is why Most 2 story houses have footers 16 to 18 inches (lots of weight) where as a pole barn really has minimal weight. (by the way we are on clay based soil) I know that's a factor. On to the floor, you guys are right now that I think about it, weight of equipment on it! But since I am so small time the weight factor doesn't really aply, Biggest piece of equipment that I see that will ever be in that barn is 10,000lbs, a bigger skid steer than I already have or utility tractor. But 6inches isn't a deal breaker for me.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:36 am

If it is a state grant it is probably NRCS standards. Their standard for concrete slab is 6 inches with 1/2 inch rebar on 18 inch centers. We always said that an elephant is a mouse built to NRCS standards. I could tells some stories about over built cost share projects. There are many cases where it would be cheaper to build it yourself rather than take their money and build it to their standards.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:42 pm

You said it, Dave.
I won't even chase those 'givernment $$' any more. Almost without fail, the requirements that go along with them are so onerous - or even counterproductive, that I usually ended up having to come back and re-do everything the right way, on my own dime.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Lucky_P wrote:You said it, Dave.
I won't even chase those 'givernment $$' any more. Almost without fail, the requirements that go along with them are so onerous - or even counterproductive, that I usually ended up having to come back and re-do everything the right way, on my own dime.

23 years working for a conservation district. Lots of times I steered people away from cost share that was going to cost them more than they would receive. Unfortunately some people had already painted themselves in a corner before I was involved. One time a guy with a dozen sheep wanted a concrete slab outside his barn. No equipment just a wheel barrow and the sheep. He had already signed the papers. The concrete was 6 inches of 6 sack concrete with 1/2 inch rebar 18 inches on center.
0 x

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:36 am

BryanM wrote:As I am reading threw the comments on the thread, by the way thank you, I may have left out a few factors. Such as I can make my own plans up if I have an engineer sign and stamp the plans. Frost line where I am at is 32inches. I guess my concerns of over kill are the footer being 36 inches and the depth of the floor. And here is why Most 2 story houses have footers 16 to 18 inches (lots of weight) where as a pole barn really has minimal weight. (by the way we are on clay based soil) I know that's a factor. On to the floor, you guys are right now that I think about it, weight of equipment on it! But since I am so small time the weight factor doesn't really aply, Biggest piece of equipment that I see that will ever be in that barn is 10,000lbs, a bigger skid steer than I already have or utility tractor. But 6inches isn't a deal breaker for me.

I see where your coming from but don’t sacrifice on quality just to save a few hundred dollars. Your footer should be a MINIMUM of 36” where your at and the cost of 6” slab vs. 4” is not a huge amount more on a building of that size. My FIL is a concrete and excavating contractor and if I ever did less than 6” I would never hear the end of it. Especially on a farm.
0 x
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”