Loading your tires

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Loading your tires

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:44 am

Does anyone else load their own tires? If so what do you use? Calcium chloride is high as crap these days so was thinking of windshield wiper fluid or antifreeze. What do you use and why?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Loading your tires

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:57 am

Most here use an alcohol based product now. Not sure what it is but is not corrosive like the calcium chloride.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:14 am

kenny thomas wrote:Most here use an alcohol based product now. Not sure what it is but is not corrosive like the calcium chloride.

Thanks I am going to research what that is and see how readily available it is here.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:51 am

Last ones I did with a couple 55gallon drums of ww fluid. Don't like using anti freeze as it is toxic to animals.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:04 am

When I worked for Kubota, we used some non-toxic antifreeze. I think, the same stuff used to winterize the water systems in travel trailers and motorhomes. (We rarely did it for local equipment but had sold some 100hp tractor/batwing combos to a contractor that was using them on pipeline mowing in Kansas, Okla, and Missouri)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:59 am

One of the products often used is RimGuard. It's a derivative of beets. http://www.rimguard.biz/

It's not ready available, at least around here. Their very protective of their distribution system. When I finally found a dealer for their product, it was about $3 a gallon, $75 install fee, plus mileage.

I ended up using -20 windshield washer fluid. Bought it a Wal-Mart in the Spring for $1 gal. Manager told me he marked it down because folks would not buy it in the summer!

Had a 15 gallon spray tank for the back of the Ranger, just dumped the WWF in and pumped it into the tires. I bought the special tool to fill and bleed the air, but never used it. Put the valve stem at 12:00 o'clock and jack up the rear just to take the weight off the tires.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:46 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Last ones I did with a couple 55gallon drums of ww fluid. Don't like using anti freeze as it is toxic to animals.

If not mistaken I don't think any antifreeze is toxic like the old stuff anymore.

greybeard wrote:When I worked for Kubota, we used some non-toxic antifreeze. I think, the same stuff used to winterize the water systems in travel trailers and motorhomes. (We rarely did it for local equipment but had sold some 100hp tractor/batwing combos to a contractor that was using them on pipeline mowing in Kansas, Okla, and Missouri)

Good to know

D2Cat wrote:One of the products often used is RimGuard. It's a derivative of beets. http://www.rimguard.biz/

It's not ready available, at least around here. Their very protective of their distribution system. When I finally found a dealer for their product, it was about $3 a gallon, $75 install fee, plus mileage.

I ended up using -20 windshield washer fluid. Bought it a Wal-Mart in the Spring for $1 gal. Manager told me he marked it down because folks would not buy it in the summer!

Had a 15 gallon spray tank for the back of the Ranger, just dumped the WWF in and pumped it into the tires. I bought the special tool to fill and bleed the air, but never used it. Put the valve stem at 12:00 o'clock and jack up the rear just to take the weight off the tires.

Yea that Rimguard is ridiculous I guess I will try WWF
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:22 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:If not mistaken I don't think any antifreeze is toxic like the old stuff

Most automotive antifreeze is still ethylene glycol based and that is toxic. They have changed it to get rid of some of the "sweet" taste, but EG coolant is still very much toxic.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:59 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:If not mistaken I don't think any antifreeze is toxic like the old stuff

Most automotive antifreeze is still ethylene glycol based and that is toxic. They have changed it to get rid of some of the "sweet" taste, but EG coolant is still very much toxic.

LOL I must only be getting the drums of the non toxic because animals seem to like the taste and nothing happens to them if I spill it by mistake lol
0 x

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Just helped my dad a few months ago fill up the rear tires of a 3930 New Holland. He also bought windshield washer fluid from Walmart 1$ gal. The cheapest thing he could find. I think we put around 50 gal in each tire
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:35 am

Is there a rule of thumb for how much to put into a tire based on tire size or anything else?

I have one tire that has lost some fluid and needs attention.
0 x
J & D Cattle

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:51 am

0 x

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Postby millstreaminn » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:27 am

I bought a tractor that came from Tennessee and the tires are loaded with washer fluid. Even up here in Northern Pennsylvania they have not given me any problems. The tractor sits in a heated shop but I will take it out to plow and spread manure for several hours at a time in the winter any never had any issues.
0 x
It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:17 am

We use to use antifreeze when I worked at the tire place.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Use washer fluid in mine also, and I'm further north than most. Tractor never see's inside. Was -40 or 45 fluid though, bought barrels of it.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”