For-Most head gate

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Re: For-Most head gate

Postby jedstivers » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:11 am

cfpinz wrote:
jedstivers wrote:Arrow will be what I buy next.

I've yet to see one of those in person, but keep hearing good things about them.

Anyone know what a Q86 manual chute with the headtable sells for?

Can't remember the number but the one I want is 6-6,500 dollars.
I'm going the have one too. I hope by next fall.
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:12 am

jedstivers wrote:Can't remember the number but the one I want is 6-6,500 dollars.

I assume that's the manually operated one, too cheap to be hydraulic.

We've got a For-Most 450 with the 30T headgate and a few options, it was $4500 10 or 12 years ago. We've had a handful of bulls that couldn't get through the gate, had to let them out the side.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:12 am

cfpinz wrote:
jedstivers wrote:Can't remember the number but the one I want is 6-6,500 dollars.

I assume that's the manually operated one, too cheap to be hydraulic.

We've got a For-Most 450 with the 30T headgate and a few options, it was $4500 10 or 12 years ago. We've had a handful of bulls that couldn't get through the gate, had to let them out the side.

Yeah, manual. I can't afford hyd at all unless I happen on deal on a used one. The arrow I'm looking at will let me processs a load (20-32) compleatly by myself. I'm needing that bad.
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:05 am

jedstivers wrote:Yeah, manual. I can't afford hyd at all unless I happen on deal on a used one. The arrow I'm looking at will let me processs a load (20-32) compleatly by myself. I'm needing that bad.

I like how you can slide the control lever for the headgate to the rear, and operate the rear gate and headgate from one position. I can run the For-Most myself, but I have to catch them from behind with the rear gate and then move to the front and use the head catch - which makes a lot of cows "hole up" in the rear of the chute. I've thought about running a rope from the head gate lever through a pulley to the rear, but thinking about it is about as far as I've got.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:22 pm

jedstivers wrote:
cfpinz wrote:
jedstivers wrote:Arrow will be what I buy next.

I've yet to see one of those in person, but keep hearing good things about them.

I'm friends with the Territory Sales Mgr & one of the Sales Reps for Arrowquip, neighbor has a new Q86. PM if you want contact info.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:26 pm

TCRanch wrote:
jedstivers wrote:
cfpinz wrote:

I'm friends with the Territory Sales Mgr & one of the Sales Reps for Arrowquip, neighbor has a new Q86. PM if you want contact info.

Thanks.
I'm at least one more crop year (a good one) away from buying one.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:10 am

the arrow chutes do look really nice.

I don't care for for most much.

priefert I know works like a champ ..

My Molly Silencer / turret gate system should be here around middle of Jan. :) Should be awesome!
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:31 am

ddd75 wrote:the arrow chutes do look really nice.

I don't care for for most much.

priefert I know works like a champ ..

My Molly Silencer / turret gate system should be here around middle of Jan. :) Should be awesome!

That will be a nice system.
0 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:48 pm

I decided not to buy the for most head gate. Iam going to buy a prifert s01 I think. Iam redoing some of my corral to make room for the chute. Do I need to set the chute on a concrete pad or would gravel work? I thought I could bolt it to some railroad ties that where a couple feet wider than the chute but dig down where the top of the ties where even with the ground so that you don't trip over them.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:29 am

I'd do concrete. I'd also put a cover over it.
My plans are to have my whole working area under a cover and if not in a barn at least with a wind break on two sides a fan and heater in it. And a water hydrant close to keep the area clean. And a refrigerator for vaccines. And good lights.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:57 am

jedstivers wrote:I'd do concrete. I'd also put a cover over it.
My plans are to have my whole working area under a cover and if not in a barn at least with a wind break on two sides a fan and heater in it. And a water hydrant close to keep the area clean. And a refrigerator for vaccines. And good lights.

Just use the back wall of the house as an alley, and the pool as a dip tank bathtub combo.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:46 am

pricefarm wrote:I decided not to buy the for most head gate. Iam going to buy a prifert s01 I think. Iam redoing some of my corral to make room for the chute. Do I need to set the chute on a concrete pad or would gravel work? I thought I could bolt it to some railroad ties that where a couple feet wider than the chute but dig down where the top of the ties where even with the ground so that you don't trip over them.

i would upgrade the headgate to the 91.

but that is a small chute.. I'm not sure your cows will fit through.. I could be wrong though.

S04 is probably what you need.

Bite the bullet, don't be cheap! it always costs more
0 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:31 am

ddd75 wrote:
pricefarm wrote:I decided not to buy the for most head gate. Iam going to buy a prifert s01 I think. Iam redoing some of my corral to make room for the chute. Do I need to set the chute on a concrete pad or would gravel work? I thought I could bolt it to some railroad ties that where a couple feet wider than the chute but dig down where the top of the ties where even with the ground so that you don't trip over them.

i would upgrade the headgate to the 91.

but that is a small chute.. I'm not sure your cows will fit through.. I could be wrong though.

S04 is probably what you need.

Bite the bullet, don't be cheap! it always costs more

I had found the so1 used but I waited to long and the man already sold it. The so1 is 2650 new with the 91 model head gate. Not sure what the so4 cost. I can get a new tarter 6 series for 2900$. Which one would be better ?
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:59 am

In your case I'd stay with Priefert and buy as good as money allows. Setting it on concrete is the best but be sure to anchor it so it doesn't move forward. Tarter is a cheaper made chute. Also, Priefert makes videos of their chutes. I'd take a look at them before deciding. I own the SO4 and really like it.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:03 am

slick4591 wrote:In your case I'd stay with Priefert and buy as good as money allows. Setting it on concrete is the best but be sure to anchor it so it doesn't move forward. Tarter is a cheaper made chute. Also, Priefert makes videos of their chutes. I'd take a look at them before deciding. I own the SO4 and really like it.

Agree with slick. Put it on concrete. You will not regret it.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”