On Farm Service Labor Rate

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:11 pm

ddd75 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
ddd75 wrote:i don't need to change the oil, grease all fittings, fill the tank, wash and wax my equipment to use it for 1 use. Gov. isn't going to take much and insurance is cheap. Labor is pretty cheap on jobs like that as well > I can hire a guy for 20 bucks a day to work all day loading all the tree while I cut it.

i'm not saying he's making 100% profit but its not like he has a 800 dollar bill on a 1000 dollar job.


Actually it's probably not far off that.
You have to maintain and purchase equipment to use it everyday. You also have to keep employees busy everyday.
If I don't have fence to build. I hemorrhage 700.00 a day keeping my guys busy and that's taking my wife off the clock.
Fwiw 20.00 will barely cover the SS and Medi on three employees. And don't forget if you or your 20.00 employee makes a mistake you have to pay for it. Go to your day job and take a look around and think about if you had to pay for everything.


I do work for myself and I do have lots of equipment to maintain.

I've built fence before too, I pull up with 70k+ in equipment to build a fence. it's not cheap. I pull up with my bulldoze to get a building pad prepped. 3500 for 6 hours of work but I have 80k in equipment sitting there.

It's not cheap, it's not easy.


$583.33/hr for a dozer? I'm gonna have to get across the river more often!
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4097
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:16 pm

LOL why's that... because you thought that I thought school bus driver's had to pay for the fuel and the bus too?
Or because you thought $2.25 mile loaded mile = $14.50 hr
:)
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Bus drivers here are contractors. They own their own bus.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4097
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:23 pm

School districts own the buses here, although most now contract with Bus Companies who in turn hire drivers locally.
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4097
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:55 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd estimate in the example of large tree removal $1,000
1/3 for labor and 55% for overhead = 88% ($880) leaving a 12% profit margin ($120) for the owner.
0 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6550
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:24 am

Son of Butch wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd estimate in the example of large tree removal $1,000
1/3 for labor and 55% for overhead = 88% ($880) leaving a 12% profit margin ($120) for the owner.


Then uncle Sam took $40 so he made a profit of $80. Then did they have another job that day or did he go to the office and do paper work? If that's the case and he worked an 8 hr day he made $10 per hr.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby ddd75 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:40 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Actually it's probably not far off that.
You have to maintain and purchase equipment to use it everyday. You also have to keep employees busy everyday.
If I don't have fence to build. I hemorrhage 700.00 a day keeping my guys busy and that's taking my wife off the clock.
Fwiw 20.00 will barely cover the SS and Medi on three employees. And don't forget if you or your 20.00 employee makes a mistake you have to pay for it. Go to your day job and take a look around and think about if you had to pay for everything.


I do work for myself and I do have lots of equipment to maintain.

I've built fence before too, I pull up with 70k+ in equipment to build a fence. it's not cheap. I pull up with my bulldoze to get a building pad prepped. 3500 for 6 hours of work but I have 80k in equipment sitting there.

It's not cheap, it's not easy.


$583.33/hr for a dozer? I'm gonna have to get across the river more often!


it's not how fast you do it, it's what gets done. but yes, most people pay around 2500 - 3500 for a building pad to be prepped around here. lots of people with money and no one wants to do any work. A lot of easy stuff (I think) gets done around here for insane money. A water line to someones house 50' away? 1500 - 2500 bucks. :lol2: etc..etc..

i might have 40.00 in fuel in that for the dozer and another 30 in the truck.. thats my expenses :lol2:

i try to do everything w/o overhead, or much work on my part. I like things that bring me money while I'm doing something else (play) so I only take on work that pays very well. I turn down work all the time as I don't have the time, or I'm just spending time with my kids.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3643
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby callmefence » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:05 am

ddd75 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
I do work for myself and I do have lots of equipment to maintain.

I've built fence before too, I pull up with 70k+ in equipment to build a fence. it's not cheap. I pull up with my bulldoze to get a building pad prepped. 3500 for 6 hours of work but I have 80k in equipment sitting there.

It's not cheap, it's not easy.


$583.33/hr for a dozer? I'm gonna have to get across the river more often!


it's not how fast you do it, it's what gets done. but yes, most people pay around 2500 - 3500 for a building pad to be prepped around here. lots of people with money and no one wants to do any work. A lot of easy stuff (I think) gets done around here for insane money. A water line to someones house 50' away? 1500 - 2500 bucks. :lol2: etc..etc..



i might have 40.00 in fuel in that for the dozer and another 30 in the truck.. thats my expenses :lol2:

i try to do everything w/o overhead, or much work on my part. I like things that bring me money while I'm doing something else (play) so I only take on work that pays very well. I turn down work all the time as I don't have the time, or I'm just spending time with my kids.


Please share your genius on how you operate with no overhead. Along with where to get employees for 20 dollars a day...and where to buy this cheap insurance.
0 x
Always take care of your credit. When you need it. It will take care of you.

Tennessee Tuxedo


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4097
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:13 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd estimate in the example of large tree removal $1,000
1/3 for labor and 55% for overhead = 88% ($880) leaving a 12% profit margin ($120) for the owner.


Then uncle Sam took $40 so he made a profit of $80. Then did they have another job that day or did he go to the office and do paper work? If that's the case and he worked an 8 hr day he made $10 per hr.

The owner may never have been on the job site. This crew moved on to their next job and the owner may have
3 other crews doing the same. Bookkeeping/paperwork is part of overhead.
0 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6550
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd estimate in the example of large tree removal $1,000
1/3 for labor and 55% for overhead = 88% ($880) leaving a 12% profit margin ($120) for the owner.


Then uncle Sam took $40 so he made a profit of $80. Then did they have another job that day or did he go to the office and do paper work? If that's the case and he worked an 8 hr day he made $10 per hr.

The owner may never have been on the job site. This crew moved on to their next job and the owner may have
3 other crews doing the same. Bookkeeping/paperwork is part of overhead.


For sure, but it's still not as much money as it appears to the untrained eye.

Wether he was on that job site or not small business owners log a lot of hours, like farmers and ranchers, that when you actually do the math is not a lot per hour.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby ddd75 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:53 pm

callmefence wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
$583.33/hr for a dozer? I'm gonna have to get across the river more often!


it's not how fast you do it, it's what gets done. but yes, most people pay around 2500 - 3500 for a building pad to be prepped around here. lots of people with money and no one wants to do any work. A lot of easy stuff (I think) gets done around here for insane money. A water line to someones house 50' away? 1500 - 2500 bucks. :lol2: etc..etc..



i might have 40.00 in fuel in that for the dozer and another 30 in the truck.. thats my expenses :lol2:

i try to do everything w/o overhead, or much work on my part. I like things that bring me money while I'm doing something else (play) so I only take on work that pays very well. I turn down work all the time as I don't have the time, or I'm just spending time with my kids.


Please share your genius on how you operate with no overhead. Along with where to get employees for 20 dollars a day...and where to buy this cheap insurance.



I have mental retarded guys help me out. They can do quite a lot and are pretty smart. You just need to show them what to do. Are they going to do finish work ? no.. are they going to mess some things up? yes. But that is what you get. I do all final work and fix what they mess up if anything. They are very happy to work and will work for 10 hours a day no problem.

Of course overhead exists, but keeping it very low is the key. Some operations thats impossible though.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:40 pm

ddd75 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
it's not how fast you do it, it's what gets done. but yes, most people pay around 2500 - 3500 for a building pad to be prepped around here. lots of people with money and no one wants to do any work. A lot of easy stuff (I think) gets done around here for insane money. A water line to someones house 50' away? 1500 - 2500 bucks. :lol2: etc..etc..



i might have 40.00 in fuel in that for the dozer and another 30 in the truck.. thats my expenses :lol2:

i try to do everything w/o overhead, or much work on my part. I like things that bring me money while I'm doing something else (play) so I only take on work that pays very well. I turn down work all the time as I don't have the time, or I'm just spending time with my kids.


Please share your genius on how you operate with no overhead. Along with where to get employees for 20 dollars a day...and where to buy this cheap insurance.



I have mental retarded guys help me out. They can do quite a lot and are pretty smart. You just need to show them what to do. Are they going to do finish work ? no.. are they going to mess some things up? yes. But that is what you get. I do all final work and fix what they mess up if anything. They are very happy to work and will work for 10 hours a day no problem.

Of course overhead exists, but keeping it very low is the key. Some operations thats impossible though.


This is the first time I've used this rascal......... :bs:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3643
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby callmefence » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:49 pm

ddd75 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
it's not how fast you do it, it's what gets done. but yes, most people pay around 2500 - 3500 for a building pad to be prepped around here. lots of people with money and no one wants to do any work. A lot of easy stuff (I think) gets done around here for insane money. A water line to someones house 50' away? 1500 - 2500 bucks. :lol2: etc..etc..



i might have 40.00 in fuel in that for the dozer and another 30 in the truck.. thats my expenses :lol2:

i try to do everything w/o overhead, or much work on my part. I like things that bring me money while I'm doing something else (play) so I only take on work that pays very well. I turn down work all the time as I don't have the time, or I'm just spending time with my kids.


Please share your genius on how you operate with no overhead. Along with where to get employees for 20 dollars a day...and where to buy this cheap insurance.



I have mental retarded guys help me out. They can do quite a lot and are pretty smart. You just need to show them what to do. Are they going to do finish work ? no.. are they going to mess some things up? yes. But that is what you get. I do all final work and fix what they mess up if anything. They are very happy to work and will work for 10 hours a day no problem.

Of course overhead exists, but keeping it very low is the key. Some operations thats impossible though.


:lol2:
Thanks for the tip ddd I'll head down to Austin tomorrow and check with the state school.
You use the same method for the cheap insurance??
0 x
Always take care of your credit. When you need it. It will take care of you.

Tennessee Tuxedo


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby Texasmark » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:22 am

ddd75 wrote:i won't take my equipment into the JD dealer b/c they charge 105/hr. in ky they only charged 75.

my little motto is.. "if they can do it.. so can I"


That's how I feel, considering I have the equipment and necessary parts. That's why I don't get my shorts in a wad when I make a large purchase and the dealer isn't next door. As long as I can get one to ship me the parts I need......Branson gets a lot of bashing for not being next door. I have two and don't have a problem. Dealers are able and ready to service the badge as is UPS.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby ddd75 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:29 am

callmefence wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Please share your genius on how you operate with no overhead. Along with where to get employees for 20 dollars a day...and where to buy this cheap insurance.



I have mental retarded guys help me out. They can do quite a lot and are pretty smart. You just need to show them what to do. Are they going to do finish work ? no.. are they going to mess some things up? yes. But that is what you get. I do all final work and fix what they mess up if anything. They are very happy to work and will work for 10 hours a day no problem.

Of course overhead exists, but keeping it very low is the key. Some operations thats impossible though.


:lol2:
Thanks for the tip ddd I'll head down to Austin tomorrow and check with the state school.
You use the same method for the cheap insurance??


you asked, I told you, it works for me, those boys hold fences posts and put them where I want just fine. No high intelligence needed to build fence. ;-)
0 x


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests