Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
User avatar
Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Texas

Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby Bullitt » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:15 am

Maybe I am just becoming an old fart, but I was thinking about this lately.

My father had a 1972 Chevrolet pickup and he drove it until the engine seized up at about 200,000 miles. I can remember even as a kid helping to change the oil, spark plugs, the alternator, the battery, U-joints, brakes, changing tires, and doing other repairs that were pretty simple. I could sit right in the engine compartment. There was room for two engines under that hood. :)

The old tractors were simple and could be started by spinning a flywheel or using a hand crank. When they said you could fix machinery with some baling wire, that was pretty much true.

Now trucks and tractors have to have computers and electronics and you have to be a mechanical engineer to repair machinery. The manufacturers have made them complicated so we have to pay someone with the right computer to do the repairs. A few years back I went to change the spark plugs on a little pickup truck and couldn't even see where the spark plugs were. There was no room to work on anything.

New trucks have power windows. I don't need that. My arm works. They have GPS. I know where I am going so I do not need a computer to tell me where to turn. There are electric motors and seat warmers and satellite radios, and you name it in trucks and tractors these days. I saw a report on TV where some guy with a computer and Internet access showed how he could shut down a car running down the highway through the onboard computer.

Does any manufacturer make a truck with no or little electronics, no computer, and a standard transmission? Oh, and a trailer hitch would be nice.

Or are you going to tell me yes, Chevrolet made them in 1972? :)
0 x

User avatar
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5687
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am
Location: myakka city fl

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:08 am

nope yer screwed..i hate technology..but it has its advantages..working on em aint one of em...
1 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein


sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22660
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:16 am

If you wanted room in the engine compartment and simplicity my 57 Chevy Apache had it. Oil bath air filter roll of toilet paper oil filter.
If you opened the front vent going down the road to cool off you were blinded by the sand off the floorboard.
Four on the floor factory tranny. If I remember correctly it was a 250 inline 6, do about 65-70 wide open rear end screaming.
1 x

User avatar
Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Texas

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby Bullitt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:58 am

dieselbeef wrote:nope yer screwed..i hate technology..but it has its advantages..working on em aint one of em...


I suppose I could put a newer engine in an older truck.

I installed a second fuel tank on a 1982 Chevy Suburban with a diesel engine and ran free filtered vegetable oil from that second heated fuel tank. It worked well until the transmission went out. That is the problem with old vehicles, they break down.
0 x

User avatar
Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Texas

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby Bullitt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:If you wanted room in the engine compartment and simplicity my 57 Chevy Apache had it. Oil bath air filter roll of toilet paper oil filter.
If you opened the front vent going down the road to cool off you were blinded by the sand off the floorboard.
Four on the floor factory tranny. If I remember correctly it was a 250 inline 6, do about 65-70 wide open rear end screaming.


That's funny.

With my father's '72 Chevy, it had the little windows that could be turned out to direct the air. At 60 miles an hour you got a pretty strong breeze in the truck. :)

As I just wrote, maybe a modern engine (and transmission) in an older truck would be good. I want a simple, basic engine without computers.

One of those older Mercedes diesel engines in a Jeep would be fun. Those engines last a long time.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6792
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:19 pm

The wife and I have been talking about a smaller SUV all wheel drive. One day we were in town and had some time to kill. Went to 4 different dealers just window shopping. All of the SUV had a backup camera. We were told you can't buy one without it. I asked if they still had mirrors?
0 x

User avatar
Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Texas

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby Bullitt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Dave wrote:The wife and I have been talking about a smaller SUV all wheel drive. One day we were in town and had some time to kill. Went to 4 different dealers just window shopping. All of the SUV had a backup camera. We were told you can't buy one without it. I asked if they still had mirrors?


Funny!

Yep, and they usually have a GPS system to tell you directions, WiFi Internet, satellite radio, power windows, power locks, power seats, heated seats, and on and on. Now I understand some people want these features. If I lived in Minnesota or something I would probably want heated seats. I do want power steering, air conditioning, and a regular stereo. Shouldn't they sell some vehicles with a standard transmission and without all the electronics? I know, most people under 40 these days can't drive a standard transmission and cannot put their smartphone down for five minutes. I saw a report on TV where they did experiments. People have withdrawal symptoms if they do not have their smartphones for a short time. Wow! That is crazy. It is like smartphones are a drug. I can only imagine what people will be like in a couple more generations. I think they will be totally cut off from the natural world.

I am probably just going to have to find an older truck with a standard transmission, and when the engine goes out I will buy another engine. I like the early 1990s Ford pickups with extended cabs. Hopefully I can change the oil and spark plugs on one of those.
0 x

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15393
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:43 pm

If you want a manual trans you'll probably have to special order it,, the automatics in a lot of the newer trucks are better nowadays...with a manual you better buy a truck with a color you like looking at.. They ain't in high demand outside of folks like us..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7214
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:03 pm

Bullitt wrote:
Dave wrote:The wife and I have been talking about a smaller SUV all wheel drive. One day we were in town and had some time to kill. Went to 4 different dealers just window shopping. All of the SUV had a backup camera. We were told you can't buy one without it. I asked if they still had mirrors?


Funny!

Yep, and they usually have a GPS system to tell you directions, WiFi Internet, satellite radio, power windows, power locks, power seats, heated seats, and on and on. Now I understand some people want these features. If I lived in Minnesota or something I would probably want heated seats. I do want power steering, air conditioning, and a regular stereo. Shouldn't they sell some vehicles with a standard transmission and without all the electronics? I know, most people under 40 these days can't drive a standard transmission and cannot put their smartphone down for five minutes. I saw a report on TV where they did experiments. People have withdrawal symptoms if they do not have their smartphones for a short time. Wow! That is crazy. It is like smartphones are a drug. I can only imagine what people will be like in a couple more generations. I think they will be totally cut off from the natural world.

I am probably just going to have to find an older truck with a standard transmission, and when the engine goes out I will buy another engine. I like the early 1990s Ford pickups with extended cabs. Hopefully I can change the oil and spark plugs on one of those.

I'm refurbishing my 1992 4x4 F250 extended cab diesel right now. I've put all new glow plugs, controller, brakes, pads, rotors, drums, wheel cylinders, bearings and AC. I've got new factory bumpers and looking for factory hub caps and tail gate. I'm not going to restore it to new but I'm planning on doing it right and using as a daily driver again.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Texas

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby Bullitt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:13 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I'm refurbishing my 1992 4x4 F250 extended cab diesel right now. I've put all new glow plugs, controller, brakes, pads, rotors, drums, wheel cylinders, bearings and AC. I've got new factory bumpers and looking for factory hub caps and tail gate. I'm not going to restore it to new but I'm planning on doing it right and using as a daily driver again.
[/quote][/quote]

That sounds good. And it doesn't have too many electronics, right? :)

Is it an automatic transmission? I suppose that wouldn't be too bad. I am sure it will pull a stock trailer with some cattle.

Which diesel engine does it have?
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7214
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:03 pm

It has the 7.3 IDI engine, and its an automatic transmission. I had a heavy duty transmission and torque converter installed in 1998. So it should be good for another 2-300k miles. Engine only has 430k miles on it and I'm wanting to see if it's really a million mile engine. I bought the the truck new and have serviced it well, but I worked it hard for the first 300k miles.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Texas

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby Bullitt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:29 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:It has the 7.3 IDI engine, and its an automatic transmission. I had a heavy duty transmission and torque converter installed in 1998. So it should be good for another 2-300k miles. Engine only has 430k miles on it and I'm wanting to see if it's really a million mile engine. I bought the the truck new and have serviced it well, but I worked it hard for the first 300k miles.


That sounds like what I need. Those diesel engines will last a long time.

Those 1980s and early 1990s Ford trucks also have two fuel tanks and indirect injection on the diesel injectors. You can get free vegetable oil from restaurants and settle it and filter it, and then put the oil in one of the fuel tanks. You just start on regular diesel fuel and allow the engine to warm up before switching to vegetable oil, and switch back to regular diesel fuel before turning off the engine. If you live in a cold area you would probably need a fuel-line heater. You just have to make sure all the fuel lines are the newer type that can handle vegetable oil. The vegetable oil will also clean out the fuel lines, so the fuel filters will need to be changed soon after running on vegetable oil. It would be easiest to just install new fuel lines before running vegetable. Anyway, it is free fuel available from many restaurants.
0 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7353
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:42 am

People demand more out of their vehicles now so things have gotten more complicated.

I have discussed this with my dad before. He talks about all the things they use to do with old trucks and cars. They had an old Buick car with no body panels on it that they made a wooden bed for. They use to check cattle in it. They had another 60 some thing Chevy truck They woukd daisy chain 4 wheel trailers bedind with hay or corn loaded up. With all that he even admits that if people tried to drive as fast as they do now pulling what they do now with that old 60 some thing Chevy truck they would end up in a ditch.

I like manual trucks because I just like them. I've had 3 manual trucks in my short life but the reality is there is no place for them any more. The auto transmissions now are so much better than even the manuals of nor that long ago. Plus, you can shift all the autos like a manual now if you would like.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22660
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:09 am

Bullitt wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:It has the 7.3 IDI engine, and its an automatic transmission. I had a heavy duty transmission and torque converter installed in 1998. So it should be good for another 2-300k miles. Engine only has 430k miles on it and I'm wanting to see if it's really a million mile engine. I bought the the truck new and have serviced it well, but I worked it hard for the first 300k miles.


That sounds like what I need. Those diesel engines will last a long time.

Those 1980s and early 1990s Ford trucks also have two fuel tanks and indirect injection on the diesel injectors. You can get free vegetable oil from restaurants and settle it and filter it, and then put the oil in one of the fuel tanks. You just start on regular diesel fuel and allow the engine to warm up before switching to vegetable oil, and switch back to regular diesel fuel before turning off the engine. If you live in a cold area you would probably need a fuel-line heater. You just have to make sure all the fuel lines are the newer type that can handle vegetable oil. The vegetable oil will also clean out the fuel lines, so the fuel filters will need to be changed soon after running on vegetable oil. It would be easiest to just install new fuel lines before running vegetable. Anyway, it is free fuel available from many restaurants.



No thanks to that idea as all vegetable oils are not created anywhere close to equal. You have no idea what your getting, some are very acidic compared to others.
Lot of difference in bio Diesel and used cooking oil. I made the stuff for 33 years for the military and public all diesels or Diesel engines are not created equal to play this game.
Trying to save a dime that could cost a 50k investment makes no sense in my book.
1 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7214
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:03 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bullitt wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:It has the 7.3 IDI engine, and its an automatic transmission. I had a heavy duty transmission and torque converter installed in 1998. So it should be good for another 2-300k miles. Engine only has 430k miles on it and I'm wanting to see if it's really a million mile engine. I bought the the truck new and have serviced it well, but I worked it hard for the first 300k miles.


That sounds like what I need. Those diesel engines will last a long time.

Those 1980s and early 1990s Ford trucks also have two fuel tanks and indirect injection on the diesel injectors. You can get free vegetable oil from restaurants and settle it and filter it, and then put the oil in one of the fuel tanks. You just start on regular diesel fuel and allow the engine to warm up before switching to vegetable oil, and switch back to regular diesel fuel before turning off the engine. If you live in a cold area you would probably need a fuel-line heater. You just have to make sure all the fuel lines are the newer type that can handle vegetable oil. The vegetable oil will also clean out the fuel lines, so the fuel filters will need to be changed soon after running on vegetable oil. It would be easiest to just install new fuel lines before running vegetable. Anyway, it is free fuel available from many restaurants.



No thanks to that idea as all vegetable oils are not created anywhere close to equal. You have no idea what your getting, some are very acidic compared to others.
Lot of difference in bio Diesel and used cooking oil. I made the stuff for 33 years for the military and public all diesels or Diesel engines are not created equal to play this game.
Trying to save a dime that could cost a 50k investment makes no sense in my book.

I will NEVER use vegetable oil in anything again. I gave a MF35 tractor away because I and let it sit all winter with vegetable oil in it, what a sticky nasty mess that was. But I do run used engine oil and hydraulic oil cut 50% with offroad diesel fuel in everything but my new tractor. At one time I burned straight oil or hydraulic oil and purged the system, but at a 50 - 50 ratio there's no need to even purge the fuel system. At this point and time of my life I need to just buy my diesel fuel and not worry about the oil company thieves ripping me off....but I can't.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests