Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:51 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I have a 1972 F250 4x4 with a 300 6 cylinder and a 4 speed. The fuel tank is in the cab behind the seat, government regulations weren't very tough back then.

That’s cool I had an 80 Model
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
My wife went from a Suburban to a Subaru Outback, and really likes it. It has all the safety bells and whistles....even puts you back in your lane and stops if you are going to hit something. Not real sure that I like all of that, but her insurance is less than half of what it was for the Suburban, and the Outback gets twice the mileage.

Back up cameras are the best thing since sliced bred. Don't knock it until you try it.

Best thing ever for hooking up a bumper hitch trailer.

Yup, Im by myself most of the time and it has saved me a lot of in and outs or back work dragging it to the ball.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:45 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bullitt wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:I am helping a widow lady at church sell her husbands 88 F-150 with a 300 6 cylinder for 3k has 70k original miles.
Perfect shape not a dent on it.
It was gone first day the add ran some guy from up around Dallas coming to get it today.

It seems I am not the only one who just wants a regular truck.

That 6-cylinder engine could not pull much, though.

Those old 300 six’s were some low torque pulling machines.
That was a very popular gasoline engine in this part of the world for towing.
Most came with a four speed tranny with a granny gear.
Diesel motors didn’t come in trucks back then. They were unheard of until the 80’s.
I think Ford was first with a non turbo 6.9, needed a mile to a mile and a half to pass pulling a cattle trailer.
drove a couple of those 300 6's
They we're torquey.. Granny 4 speed and one in a old 4x4 you could pull the gates off he//...
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:22 pm

That old 300 six was unique it had no timing chain, it was gear on gear.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bullitt wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:I am helping a widow lady at church sell her husbands 88 F-150 with a 300 6 cylinder for 3k has 70k original miles.
Perfect shape not a dent on it.
It was gone first day the add ran some guy from up around Dallas coming to get it today.

It seems I am not the only one who just wants a regular truck.

That 6-cylinder engine could not pull much, though.

Those old 300 six’s were some low torque pulling machines.
That was a very popular gasoline engine in this part of the world for towing.
Most came with a four speed tranny with a granny gear.
Diesel motors didn’t come in trucks back then. They were unheard of until the 80’s.
I think Ford was first with a non turbo 6.9, needed a mile to a mile and a half to pass pulling a cattle trailer.

I had one of the old 6.9 Fords. Wouldn't pull a sick w*@&e out of bed. Thankfully, it left most of it's bottom end scattered across the highway and I was able to replace it with a real live intercooled and turbocharged Cummins truck.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Yeah, you'd think 420 cubic inches would do a little better than that but they were a dog.
Peak Horsepower: 170 HP @ 3,300 RPM
Peak Torque: 338 lb-ft. @ 1,400 RPM

That's the 'official' stats. I don't for a minute believe that's real world tho. 7.3 was the same block bored out.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:26 am

greybeard wrote:Yeah, you'd think 420 cubic inches would do a little better than that but they were a dog.

That's the 'official' stats. I don't for a minute believe that's real world tho. 7.3 was the same block bored out.

The 6.9 and 7.3 IDI worked great for us. The savings in the cost of the fuel added to the extra mileage compared to a big block gas engine, made it an easy choice for me. Back before every yahoo bought a diesel truck to haul a loaf of bread, the cost of a gallon of diesel fuel was considerably less than gas.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:42 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
greybeard wrote:Yeah, you'd think 420 cubic inches would do a little better than that but they were a dog.

The 6.9 and 7.3 IDI worked great for us. The savings in the cost of the fuel added to the extra mileage compared to a big block gas engine, made it an easy choice for me. Back before every yahoo bought a diesel truck to haul a loaf of bread, the cost of a gallon of diesel fuel was considerably less than gas.

The cost of Diesel went up because of the EPA LSD Regulations and the refineries opting out of making it.
In the refinery I worked we went from making 140k bpd Diesel in 2005 to 25k in 2006. It was cheaper to sell the Diesel overseas than build new units to get the sulfur out to met the EPA regs.
The other option was to convert it to gasoline we have had that technology since before WWII.
The EPA wrote the regulation and never considered the oil companies would say screw the cost of making it.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:18 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

The cost of Diesel went up because of the EPA LSD Regulations and the refineries opting out of making it.
In the refinery I worked we went from making 140k bpd Diesel in 2005 to 25k in 2006. It was cheaper to sell the Diesel overseas than build new units to get the sulfur out to met the EPA regs.
The other option was to convert it to gasoline we have had that technology since before WWII.
The EPA wrote the regulation and never considered the oil companies would say screw the cost of making it.

I don't buy it, and can't see hour numbers adding up. We've never had a diesel shortage and there's 100x more diesel powered vehicles than ever. But I do think the oil and gas companies are crooks and shouldn't receive any subsidies.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/drillingin ... bsidies/2/
In 2004 gas and oil companies received up to $1.7 billion dollars in subsidies to build refineries here in the US of A.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:46 am

and there's 100x more diesel powered vehicles than ever. But I do think the oil and gas companies are crooks and shouldn't receive any subsidies.
In 2004 gas and oil companies received up to $1.7 billion dollars in subsidies to build refineries here in the US of A.

No not much shortages lately but only because of the mentioned expanded refining capacity. With increased demand of any commodity, there will always be either shortages and higher prices due to supply/demand differences or increased production and lower prices. We don't get to have it both ways.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:52 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:The 6.9 and 7.3 IDI worked great for us. The savings in the cost of the fuel added to the extra mileage compared to a big block gas engine, made it an easy choice for me. Back before every yahoo bought a diesel truck to haul a loaf of bread, the cost of a gallon of diesel fuel was considerably less than gas.

I don't buy it, and can't see hour numbers adding up. We've never had a diesel shortage and there's 100x more diesel powered vehicles than ever. But I do think the oil and gas companies are crooks and shouldn't receive any subsidies.

For starters its a stretch to call a tax break a subsidy.

Second, your beef should be with the govt for handing it out... not a company for accepting it. Do you think all farmers are crooks for accepting their "subsidies"? Your government decided to lure those companies with tax cuts.

Third, you cant compare what Exxon and Chevron do to the whole oil and gas sector. Most oil and gas companies have zero to do with refining. I bet if you can find a break down on where that money went it was a few mega companies like Exxon, Chevron, BP, etc.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:01 am

greybeard wrote:
and there's 100x more diesel powered vehicles than ever. But I do think the oil and gas companies are crooks and shouldn't receive any subsidies.

No not much shortages lately but only because of the mentioned expanded refining capacity. With increased demand of any commodity, there will always be either shortages and higher prices due to supply/demand differences or increased production and lower prices. We don't get to have it both ways.

Grit we didn’t make less diesel, we made less for the USA due to LSD regulation. There was more money in putting it on a ship and sending it to the Far East versus investing billions in new desulfurization units.
The EPA lowered the spec from 500 PPM
to 15PPM that was impossible goal to reach without new process units.
The government required the spec on the new fuel they didn’t require the refineries to make it.

Secondly they had to offer some type incentives to increase capacity.
The EPA had caused dozens of refineries to shutdown versus upgrade.
A new major refinery had not been built since 1976. You don’t think we had put more cars on the road since then.
We lost tons of heartland refineries due to the EPA off the top of my head
Sugar Creek Mo, Neodesha Ks. Eldorado Ak. Destrehan La. Casper Wy and the list goes on. Cheaper to shut down than upgrade.
Last edited by Caustic Burno on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am

Yeah, after going on 7 years of putting up with the !@#$%^&*()_+ chime in my 2011 Silverado, I finally decided to fix it. In looking for the "chime relay", none to be found. Get on the GM sites and find out that the chime comes from the radio...built in.

Okaye, since I'm near legally deaf, and don't use the radio anyway, out comes fuse #42 in the engine compartment fuse box. AAAAAAAH peace and tranquility finally. Life is good.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:11 am

Caustic Burno wrote:That old 300 six was unique it had no timing chain, it was gear on gear.

Yeah I thought that was great too till I found that the gear wasn't steel or bronze or even aluminum, like the V8s (including GM) with the nylon tipped alum timing gear that pretty much guaranteed a blown engine at 85k miles. They were plastic....Phenolic.

I had a 6 in a van and attempted to overhaul it...working alone as usual. I sold the truck!
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 am

Texasmark wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:That old 300 six was unique it had no timing chain, it was gear on gear.

Yeah I thought that was great too till I found that the gear wasn't steel or bronze or even aluminum, like the V8s (including GM) with the nylon tipped alum timing gear that pretty much guaranteed a blown engine at 85k miles. They were plastic....Phenolic.

I had a 6 in a van and attempted to overhaul it...working alone as usual. I sold the truck!

I don’t know the year break they were steel until sometime in the 70’s
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”