Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:51 pm

On GM it was somewhere in the late 70's to 80s,, though on a chain...that is if the cam lobes didn't puke first...the nylon was suppose to be quieter than the metal to metal..just as soon listen to the noise...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:24 pm

Yep early thru mid 80s for sure. Not too bad unless it was an interference engine but if it was, even without overhead cam, inertia from the flywheel kept the engine turning enough to bend valves. On non interference engines, you still had a mess because all the broken chewed up pieces of phenolic were all in the front timing gear cover and all down in the crankcase/oil pan. People that didn't realize that would just pull the cover, change the gears and next thing you know they had low oil pressure because the oil pump inlet screen was plugged off. It didn't take the aftermarket long tho, to start offering solid steel gears.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:32 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Texasmark wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:That old 300 six was unique it had no timing chain, it was gear on gear.

Yeah I thought that was great too till I found that the gear wasn't steel or bronze or even aluminum, like the V8s (including GM) with the nylon tipped alum timing gear that pretty much guaranteed a blown engine at 85k miles. They were plastic....Phenolic.

I had a 6 in a van and attempted to overhaul it...working alone as usual. I sold the truck!

I don’t know the year break they were steel until sometime in the 70’s

Yeah, we were sold the tune that it made them "quieter"......more "fake advertising".
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:53 pm

Texasmark wrote:
Yeah, we were sold the tune that it made them "quieter"......more "fake advertising".

If the auto manufacturers can make something cheaper, they will try to convince auto buyers that it is somehow better for them.
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:05 am

greybeard wrote:Yep early thru mid 80s for sure. Not too bad unless it was an interference engine but if it was, even without overhead cam, inertia from the flywheel kept the engine turning enough to bend valves. On non interference engines, you still had a mess because all the broken chewed up pieces of phenolic were all in the front timing gear cover and all down in the crankcase/oil pan. People that didn't realize that would just pull the cover, change the gears and next thing you know they had low oil pressure because the oil pump inlet screen was plugged off. It didn't take the aftermarket long tho, to start offering solid steel gears.

I bought a 1971 Chev 2 door hardtop V8 for my daughter from a company bulletin board which I frequented often and bought most of the kid's "rent-a-wrecks". Year purchased was somewhere in the 1980's. Got it home and was doing the usual, change this and that. Took a few days to finish what I was doing meaning I had some operation time on the engine of my doing. On the last day, after running it for awhile, I switched the ignition key to off. As the engine was making it's final revolutions, it made a very distinct clink-clunk. Don't remember the exact mileage but somewhere around 85k range.

Pulled a few screws from the timing cover to bend it back enough to have a look-see and sure-nuf, pieces of nylon and alum. easily visible. I didn't have to go any farther. Knew what had happened.

Went to a junk yard and bought an engine out of a GMC p/u. On the way home I stopped by an auto parts store and bought metal timing gears and double roller timing chain. Getting home, before I even took it out of the truck bed, I changed the timing gears.

Had a nice car for her till she got rear ended and totaled it.
0 x

rnh2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rnh2 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:01 pm

After watching shows where they totally restore old vehicles it makes you wonder for the price of a new truck why not do a full off frame restoration? Financing would be the truck
1 x
If you're too dumb to be anything else you can be a expert

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:40 pm

The fact is, if your going to drive a older vehicle your going to have to work on it. Windshield wiper motor went out, and the wiper arm clips disintegrated when I tried to take the wipers off. Fixed the motor and the arms will be in Tuesday, but it's just one thing after another. I just keep telling myself $60k dollars is to much to pay for a truck just so I don't have to work on it. But most of the time the dealer won't fix it right the first time anyway so you have to waste time dealing with those idiots.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Yes, and the problems/repairs get more complex. Stick with what you have!
1 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”