Opinions on Chevrolet 2500 with gasoline engines

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Re: Opinions on Chevrolet 2500 with gasoline engines

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:39 pm

I am 300 miles away from the finish line of a 4,000 mile (in 12 days) sales trip. By my math, the Chevy gasser has saved me $843.....in fuel costs alone over driving the 5500 Ram. Will it pull my post driver? Not a chance. But, it is certainly a welcome addition to the stable.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:47 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
fence_it wrote:You couldn't pay me to have a gas pickup. Terrible fuel economy and they are wore out by 200k. We are all Dodge Cummins here. We have 4 on this place. 97 12 valve w/300k, 99 24v (53 block) w/233k, 2008 6.7 w/115k, and 2017 6.7 w/20k. None have ever left us stranded. We don't have the rust issues some northern and Midwestern states have so our vehicles last a lot longer.

Looked at a cab and chassis 6.0 before we bought the '17 dodge, wasn't impressed and was underpowered for a one ton dually and was only about $6k cheaper than the diesel dodge.

Rust seems to be a thing of past here with the treatment they give to the metal these days. We have a lot of beaches here that you can drive on. There used to be a big market for after market rust proofing but that has died, vehicles straight off the showroom floor seem to be resilient, maybe a lot of plastic helps, not that I am against plastic. Light and strong is good in any sort of manufacturing.

Ken

Most are going to aluminum. I know Ford has one out already, but the rest are following suit
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:06 am

Ky cowboy wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:
fence_it wrote:You couldn't pay me to have a gas pickup. Terrible fuel economy and they are wore out by 200k. We are all Dodge Cummins here. We have 4 on this place. 97 12 valve w/300k, 99 24v (53 block) w/233k, 2008 6.7 w/115k, and 2017 6.7 w/20k. None have ever left us stranded. We don't have the rust issues some northern and Midwestern states have so our vehicles last a lot longer.

Looked at a cab and chassis 6.0 before we bought the '17 dodge, wasn't impressed and was underpowered for a one ton dually and was only about $6k cheaper than the diesel dodge.

Rust seems to be a thing of past here with the treatment they give to the metal these days. We have a lot of beaches here that you can drive on. There used to be a big market for after market rust proofing but that has died, vehicles straight off the showroom floor seem to be resilient, maybe a lot of plastic helps, not that I am against plastic. Light and strong is good in any sort of manufacturing.

Ken

Most are going to aluminum. I know Ford has one out already, but the rest are following suit

Didn't Ford buy Landrover? They might have been after their previous experience with aluminium.

Ken
0 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:56 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:

Ken

Didn't Ford buy Landrover? They might have been after their previous experience with aluminium.

Ken

I'm not sure about that but I know at work we're running aluminum for almost all vehicle manufactures
0 x

Dusty Britches
GURU
GURU

Postby Dusty Britches » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Rafter S wrote:I have a 2000 model that's still going strong. I'm afraid I'm no help on newer ones. I also don't believe in buying new.

Me, too. I got 220,000 miles on it. I think that year model was the best they ever made. In fact, if and when the engine goes, I'll replace the motor and tranny, but I will not replace the truck.
0 x
Tracey '91
Crescent Moon Ranch

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Dusty Britches wrote:
Rafter S wrote:I have a 2000 model that's still going strong. I'm afraid I'm no help on newer ones. I also don't believe in buying new.

Me, too. I got 220,000 miles on it. I think that year model was the best they ever made. In fact, if and when the engine goes, I'll replace the motor and tranny, but I will not replace the truck.

They are good. The newer ones have some perks as far as the interior holds up a little better, back up cameras, and the motors have higher hp. There are some odd years in there like 05ish where they are prone to eat wheel hubs and other little stuff.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”