Converted Horse Trailer

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Converted Horse Trailer

Postby slick4591 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:56 pm

Up front: I have zero experience with a two horse trailer. So, is there any reason why I couldn't convert a two horse trailer into smaller cattle trailer? Since my breed is not as popular as some I normally have to haul long distances to buy the heifers I want. Going to NE Georgia mid-summer to bring one, maybe two bred heifers home. All I have is a 16' WW that's pretty heavy and I'm thinking I could shave off fuel charges by having a lighter trailer for the smaller runs. I also haul a little for others, let's say friends, so I could maybe justify the extra expense. I'm thinking something along the line of just removing the divider and hitting the road? Or, is there going to be more to it?
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Converted Horse Trailer

Postby M-5 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:04 pm

I see no reason why not.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27 pm

For 2 that's a long haul, in a small space..I hauled a couple horses from your area back in the 80s.. Stopped in Meridian Ms.. And walked and watered them.let em stretch...your gonna have to water them,,especially that time of year...are you driving straight through???
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:40 pm

As long as they cant jump over the back doors, and have air flow, your good to go. Granted, it was hauling a horse not a cow, but I've traveled the world with a two horse straight load. Slept in one countless times, and took a whores bath in a bucket in there to. Slap a trash bag in the bucket, and you've got a toilet.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:47 pm

You could, but I wouldn't. I don't think there would be any big benefits over your ww. Spend the money on good tires and grease.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:51 pm

callmefence wrote:You could, but I wouldn't. I don't think there would be any big benefits over your ww. Spend the money on good tires and grease.

This was my thought at first, but a 16' BP trailer on a half ton has a certain amount of see saw, and whip you don't get with a 2 horse. A small GN might would be money better spent. I had a 12' GN once upon a time. Should have never sold it.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:55 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:For 2 that's a long haul, in a small space..I hauled a couple horses from your area back in the 80s.. Stopped in Meridian Ms.. And walked and watered them.let em stretch...your gonna have to water them,,especially that time of year...are you driving straight through???

Yes, straight thru. I won't be able to walk them, but they will be several breaks where they will be watered. I guess I was kinda worried about the construction in case the got a little yancy. Don't know if they are constructed as well as my WW.

Bigfoot wrote:As long as they cant jump over the back doors, and have air flow, your good to go. Granted, it was hauling a horse not a cow, but I've traveled the world with a two horse straight load. Slept in one countless times, and took a whores bath in a bucket in there to. Slap a trash bag in the bucket, and you've got a toilet.

Pretty much thinking of a side by side and haven't given a thought that they have shorter rear doors. That would be must to corrected. I think they have air holes for circulation, but I'd have to check to be sure.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:57 pm

callmefence wrote:You could, but I wouldn't. I don't think there would be any big benefits over your ww. Spend the money on good tires and grease.

Already has new tires and the bearings will get packed this or next week as regular maintenance as I've already logged a bunch of miles.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:12 pm

If it's just 2 put bodies on the truck and go.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:43 am

One thing to think about with a horse trailer is most if not all have either a fold down ramp or swing open rear gate. Those both make it tough to back up to a loading pen. I prefer to have a slider for a rear door on my cattle trailer.
2 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:06 pm

I've hauled several in a two horse. Mamaw's has two back doors. Pulled out the divider. It's not as much room as you think. It's hard to put two full size cows in it. Not because they don't fit but because the first one in won't get out of the way for the second to go in. Two 600lb calf will fill up the space and the third won't go on for the same reason. No matter how bad he wants in there he just can't get it.
2 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:31 pm

M-5 wrote:If it's just 2 put bodies on the truck and go.

Not quite understanding what you mean.

NonTypicalCPA wrote:One thing to think about with a horse trailer is most if not all have either a fold down ramp or swing open rear gate. Those both make it tough to back up to a loading pen. I prefer to have a slider for a rear door on my cattle trailer.

See, that's another thing that hasn't crossed my mind. This is sounding like it gets more expensive as ideas come in.

Craig Miller wrote:I've hauled several in a two horse. Mamaw's has two back doors. Pulled out the divider. It's not as much room as you think. It's hard to put two full size cows in it. Not because they don't fit but because the first one in won't get out of the way for the second to go in. Two 600lb calf will fill up the space and the third won't go on for the same reason. No matter how bad he wants in there he just can't get it.

I wondered about that, but figured they would play follow the leader. I had also wondered if giving them a daylight in the front would help getting them to load.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Hers has two light panels and a small window in the front you can open. When the first walks in she will just stand there instead of moving her tail from in front of the door. If you can remove the manger/tack storage areas it would work better
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:54 pm

https://goo.gl/images/opYDgF may not work for all situations but could for some
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:08 pm

M-5 wrote:https://goo.gl/images/opYDgF may not work for all situations but could for some

Gotcha. Just never heard them called bodies. Most around here call them bed cages.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”