6.7 Fords

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Re: 6.7 Fords

Postby cfpinz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:39 pm

jltrent wrote:
cfpinz wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Everyone's results will vary but that's terrible fuel mileage.

I just threw that out there to mess with you. That picture was taken after an approximate 5 mile pull up a pretty steep grade, with mileage reset at the bottom. 28.5k gross.

The Dodge held around 35 MPH and was limited by EGT's. My 7.3 Fords hold about 15 MPH on the same grade with comparable GW.

Are the 7.3s the indirect injection (idi) or the newer ones with the turbo and direct injection. Also with the EGTs up there you must have it running pretty hot (mods). May not be comparing oranges to oranges although those Cummins will pull.

My 7.3's are direct injection Powerstrokes, two of them have opened up downpipes and Superchips tuners - the EGT's will jump on those, too.

The Cummins has a pile of aftermarket stuff that was put on by the original owner and it's hopped up pretty tight.

Drove one of the new 6.7 Fords today and was really impressed by it. Still has Dana axles under it with actual hubs, and the whole truck just felt solid to me. Loved the interior. If I could order one with a stickshift, I'd have wrote a check today.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

R V
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby R V » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:40 am

I bought my 2017 6.7 F250 Ford last July and I am very impressed. So far, it is the most impressive truck that I have owned. It makes the 6.4 F250 seem like a child and gets 2-4 miles better per gallon. I average between 16-17 mph stock with dramatically more power than the Fords and Dodges that I have previously owned (3/4 ton and 1 ton diesels + 1 Chevy gas 1 ton not to be mentioned). I still have my 2006 6.0 F350 for the dirty work on the farm. It's a solid truck after bullet proofing the EGR and chipped, but won't average over 13 mph.
Ron
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:21 am

cfpinz wrote:
jltrent wrote:
cfpinz wrote:
I just threw that out there to mess with you. That picture was taken after an approximate 5 mile pull up a pretty steep grade, with mileage reset at the bottom. 28.5k gross.

The Dodge held around 35 MPH and was limited by EGT's. My 7.3 Fords hold about 15 MPH on the same grade with comparable GW.

Are the 7.3s the indirect injection (idi) or the newer ones with the turbo and direct injection. Also with the EGTs up there you must have it running pretty hot (mods). May not be comparing oranges to oranges although those Cummins will pull.

My 7.3's are direct injection Powerstrokes, two of them have opened up downpipes and Superchips tuners - the EGT's will jump on those, too.

The Cummins has a pile of aftermarket stuff that was put on by the original owner and it's hopped up pretty tight.

Drove one of the new 6.7 Fords today and was really impressed by it. Still has Dana axles under it with actual hubs, and the whole truck just felt solid to me. Loved the interior. If I could order one with a stickshift, I'd have wrote a check today.

Ford has the best automatic transmission in the light truck diesel market by far. Chewing on the $62k for the new Ford that I wanted choked me down.....for now.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:36 am

I've got a 2015 f350 it just turned over 100,000 it does everything I want it to do, the 1 thing I don't like is the ride, empty it is terrible.
Mpg is 14 to 17 depending, that doesn't bother me cause I know if you have a mule you've got to feed it!!!
1 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:05 pm

I like looking at my trip meter and seeing this fuel economy

0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:58 am

Silver wrote:I like looking at my trip meter and seeing this fuel economy

That is pretty good economy Silver though I doubt it would mean much to most of the people here, litres/100km.

Ken
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:52 am

If my math is right, that equates to 22.4mpg. That's pretty outstanding.

SRW pickup? Details and your thoughts on the truck would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:06 pm

cfpinz wrote:

If my math is right, that equates to 22.4mpg. That's pretty outstanding.

SRW pickup? Details and your thoughts on the truck would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes, SRW F350. Quite happy with the truck so far, but time will tell the tale. I often pull a 3 horse living quarters horse trailer that weighs 8000 lbs empty, I would assume loaded with water, gear, a horse, etc. it would be in the 12000 lb range. It burns fuel then, about 12 mpg, but this is pretty hilly country. Really impressed with the hold back, rarely use the brakes even loaded. The fuel tank holds 181 liters (47 US gallons) so range is exceptional.
1 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:14 am

Silver wrote:
Yes, SRW F350. Quite happy with the truck so far, but time will tell the tale. I often pull a 3 horse living quarters horse trailer that weighs 8000 lbs empty, I would assume loaded with water, gear, a horse, etc. it would be in the 12000 lb range. It burns fuel then, about 12 mpg, but this is pretty hilly country. Really impressed with the hold back, rarely use the brakes even loaded. The fuel tank holds 181 liters (47 US gallons) so range is exceptional.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I've noticed on our trucks the dual wheels usually knock 2 mpg off right from the top, though they're all flatbeds and I can't see that having much to do with anything. My wife's horse trailer sounds identical to yours, and her SRW Dodge gets 11-13 mpg pulling it from what I gather.

Does the Manual position on the shifter change the way the truck downshifts if you're going up a mountain? And does the exhaust brake only work above a certain speed? I've noticed on her truck (an automatic) that the EB only works above 20 or 30 mph, can't remember which but thinking it was 20. The one on my manual truck works no matter what the speed.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:06 am

cfpinz wrote:
Silver wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I've noticed on our trucks the dual wheels usually knock 2 mpg off right from the top, though they're all flatbeds and I can't see that having much to do with anything. My wife's horse trailer sounds identical to yours, and her SRW Dodge gets 11-13 mpg pulling it from what I gather.

Does the Manual position on the shifter change the way the truck downshifts if you're going up a mountain? And does the exhaust brake only work above a certain speed? I've noticed on her truck (an automatic) that the EB only works above 20 or 30 mph, can't remember which but thinking it was 20. The one on my manual truck works no matter what the speed.

Yes, I've noticed that DRW will knock the mpg down a little for sure in any vehicle. Slightly larger after market tires even worse I've noticed.
In Manual mode you need to shift every gear yourself with the +/- button. The transmission will only shift itself if it is about stall or about to over rev.
I like to leave it in auto mode but use the +/- button to lock out the top gears of my choice. With Tow Haul engaged and a couple of taps of the brakes at the top of the hill I often find I have to give some throttle on the way down.
It seems to me the exhaust brake works down to about 20 km/h but I may be mistaken.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”