This will surely test

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Re: This will surely test

Postby ohiosteve » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:26 pm

ez14. wrote:
ohiosteve wrote:I'd have bought that for $300 in a heartbeat, then again I ain't the brightest. I just spent twice that on a ukulele.

For the daughter?

Yep, she is really talented. I've been spending a good portion of my paycheck building a music room/ recording studio for her over the past couple years.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:46 pm

callmefence wrote:I bought this thing a couple weeks ago for 10.00bucks. anyone know what it is and what it's worth. Everything turns nothing looks in bad shape except the brush.

Nice potato hiller there.. we have a smaller version of the same one
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:05 am

callmefence wrote:I bought this thing a couple weeks ago for 10.00bucks. anyone know what it is and what it's worth. Everything turns nothing looks in bad shape except the brush.

The long carriage bolts under the tractor and transmits force to the rear. I'm guessing it has a pto shaft that runs in the middle of the frame also (I see the front half of it), and sends power from your rear pto up to the sweeper. Erskine makes a snowblower setup similar, big money.
1 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:28 pm

I got it loaded on a trailer this morning and shes cubic zirconia in the rough . all three gear boxes turn freely , no slip clutch's on the wing pto shafts. Cylinders look decent some surface rust that I will remove before I cycle them. one wing depth wheel is missing a spring and color , I will most likely have to fabricate that. It will need all new blade bolts and even tho the blades look ok I will replace them once everything is working . deck is in remarkable shape considering its age with what i have researched should be a late 70s model . . Stopped by the Mexican tire store and went ahead and had used tires put on it. round numbers suggest its going take about 700.00 to fix everything . Im only going to fix the necessities first which will only be a couple hundred bucks if it holds together i will repair the rest and still only have 1000.00 bucks in it total.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 am

after getting it home and evaluating everything I found a tag with the model # . Its only about 50 yrs old so I think the old girl still has some life left . I did some more research and found they made an all manual model and a hydraulic assist model. With even tho the cylinders look ok i'm sure once I put pressure to them the seal will let go they have been dry for a long time. I found a good picture library on them and Ive decided to just make it manual being that I don't have to travel very far to the fields I will be mowing. I cant see putting money in new cylinders for the wings. I may explore the tongue lift cylinders later. Today I will find the bolts for the blades and a tube for the main pto shaft . Im gonna try and keep my expenses below 600.00 total right now. here is a pick of a manual one .

yes they came with a boat winch . there is a hook on each side to roll up the wing and bar to lock it . I dug a winch out of the scrap pile yesterday and it still has a cable on it to im GTG
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:54 am

I like messing with junk, but you got me beat........ :lol: Good luck and hope you get thousands of acres out of it. My dad brought in junk like that all time and had pretty good luck. I don't have his patients.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 am

jltrent wrote:I like messing with junk, but you got me beat........ :lol: Good luck and hope you get thousands of acres out of it. My dad brought in junk like that all time and had pretty good luck. I don't have his patients.

No patience coming from a man building 1,000,000 saws a year :lol2:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:57 am

M-5 wrote:after getting it home and evaluating everything I found a tag with the model # . Its only about 50 yrs old so I think the old girl still has some life left . I did some more research and found they made an all manual model and a hydraulic assist model. With even tho the cylinders look ok i'm sure once I put pressure to them the seal will let go they have been dry for a long time. I found a good picture library on them and Ive decided to just make it manual being that I don't have to travel very far to the fields I will be mowing. I cant see putting money in new cylinders for the wings. I may explore the tongue lift cylinders later. Today I will find the bolts for the blades and a tube for the main pto shaft . Im gonna try and keep my expenses below 600.00 total right now. here is a pick of a manual one .

yes they came with a boat winch . there is a hook on each side to roll up the wing and bar to lock it . I dug a winch out of the scrap pile yesterday and it still has a cable on it to im GTG

I look forward to you getting it running and the outcome. I hope to pick up some usable junk at a sale this weekend.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:53 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
jltrent wrote:I like messing with junk, but you got me beat........ :lol: Good luck and hope you get thousands of acres out of it. My dad brought in junk like that all time and had pretty good luck. I don't have his patients.

Little junk is easier to fool with than big junk. I have been fencing all day. Those old cedar post are getting brickly, but the wire is still good, so replacing them with treated.
Last edited by jltrent on Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:12 pm

jltrent wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Little junk is easier to fool with than big junk. Just completed a couple nice saws that are in great shape now a Stihl 036 and a Stihl MS390 . I have been fencing all day. Those old cedar post are getting brickly, but the wire is still good, so replacing them with treated.

Yes , It sometimes can be a futile experiment. I Get a lot of satisfaction searching for parts and thinking of ways to make it work, plus I like old technology .
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:15 pm

0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:23 pm

Can I borrow it? Looks like it cuts great.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:33 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Can I borrow it? Looks like it cuts great.

I've heard that the older shredder blades used to be a lot harder and would hold an edge and cut much nicer. The newer ones are much softer so they bend instead of breaking and flying off, but don't hold an edge. At least that's what an older friend of mine told me.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:44 pm

It's got bas-tard blades on it. None match but they cut . Now that I know gear boxes are good I will put a little in it . I have 300 in mower 100 in used tires and another 100 in bolts shims and fittings.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:59 pm

M-5 wrote:It's got bas-tard blades on it. None match but they cut . Now that I know gear boxes are good I will put a little in it . I have 300 in mower 100 in used tires and another 100 in bolts shims and fittings.

You got a deal. Nice find. That is worth putting money in.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”