Ford 961

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Ford 961

Postby Texasmark » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:04 am

The thing about wide and narrow is length of the pendulum. If you hit a chug hole, or obstruction with a narrow, you hit it and the front of the tractor responds 100%. If you have a WF, the tractor only feels 50% as the tractor frame is half way between the obstruction and even ground. On a hill, I'd say doesn't matter.

On 3 vs 4 wheel ATVs, different critter. Suspension is independently sprung so by design the 4 is more stable, but still has the above reduction of any obstruction....like why Ford went from a solid front axle to twin I beams and finally to independent suspension....like everybody else. Interesting thing on the original Ford twin and the later Explorer. They shortened the radius of the swinging arc, from the original F100 and as a result it was unstable. Had it been on a twin A arm that didn't have a radius, like their products of today, wouldn't have had that problem. I almost bought one when they came out. Liked them otherwise.
0 x

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby j_20 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:37 am

M.Magis wrote:We used on for hay in the 80s. Good solid tractor, though ours had the SOS transmission. I loved it as a kid, but dad was the one that had to work on it, not me. As long as it doesn’t have the SOS, it should do what you need.

Its not a SOS I stay away from those, good in theory but a pain to work on. If I remember right the 6 in 961 designates live power and 5 speed, the 971 was the SOS model. Dont hold me to that though.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:38 am

You're probably right. We sold most equipment after dad passed in '94, so it's been a while and my memory isn't so great.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”