Consignment auction today

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Consignment auction today

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:51 pm

We decided to go to a spring consignment auction today, since there were several things I was interested in. I find it amazing what people pay for used stuff, and horse people seem to be the worst! Last year, we went to the same auction, looking at a small manure spreader we could use in the show barn. New they run about $5000 (it was a John Deere Frontier, I think). Some gal jumped on the first opening bid offered by the auctioneer, for, you guessed it, $5000!
Anyway, there were some stupid buys (old bent t-poles for 2.25 each), horse hay feeders for way too much, and much much more. However, there were some really good buys! They had a New Holland manure spreader, in really good condition. The previous owner passed away, sold for $2500. An international 430 square baler, in working condition, sold for $400! There was a New Holland 855 round baler, guaranteed to work, sold for $850! (don't know why it came in sideways!)

There was a semi load of alfalfa, said to be first cutting, 65 pound bales. Most sold for $7 a bale (I can get mine for $5 a bale out of the field).

We did come home with something. We bought this 2015 John Deere Gator 625i, with only 125 hours (it looks new). We paid $7000 for it. The guy that consigned it said it was just serviced by the dealer, and told me that he had three of them at home so he needed to get rid of one. He got it from the original owner, who sold his cows and the gator to him when he retired this year.

I think we did pretty good. We have been doing all the farm work with two very old 4-wheelers. It stinks to get mud all over you from the tires when you are checking cattle or laying out new lines for manage intensive grazing. Chores might get a little more fun now! It has 4x4, and hitches on both the front and the back. I already have a job for it tomorrow; dragging the pasture while spraying for weeds! We can do both at the same time now!!!! That is, if the weather cooperates.... expecting snow and or ice tomorrow! YUCK
2 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Consignment auction today

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:05 pm

very good deal , were there any fee's ? , Most auctions around here get 10% buyers from both sides
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:08 pm

BobbyLummus1 wrote:very good deal , were there any fee's ? , Most auctions around here get 10% buyers from both sides

Not on my side (buyer). Last year I sold a Meadowbrook two seater carriage there. We had it shop stored for 10 years, and stopped using it long before moving to MO. I decided to sell it, got $1000 for it. I think they charged me 10% commission.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

sstterry
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby sstterry » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:10 pm

That is a great deal on the Gator. I was on my Ranger all day today, moving cattle from one pasture to another, moving feed and building fence. It sure makes life a lot easier than a 4 wheeler.
0 x

BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:34 pm

my ranger is the single most used piece of equipment on the farm
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:25 pm

It never fails to amaze me what people will pay for certain things at auctions, particularly fence materials. It seems to usually be horse people/ backyard hobby farm people that apparently never price new stuff. Equipment however, can be bought at a good price.

Within a week you’ll wonder how you ever got along without a UTV.
0 x

snoopdog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby snoopdog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:46 pm

Auctions are fun! Looks like you done good , I wouldn't take 3x the price for my 430 , 4x yeah .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”