08 Silverado inside door handle not working

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

08 Silverado inside door handle not working

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:51 am

Manual locks and windows. I can't do much with it right now because of risk of cuts on GM's notoriously sharp edges on their stamped steel doors but I need to. I went to get out of the truck last week and the handle just came up with nothing happening with the door latch itself...like something has come loose. Have to reach out the window and open it with outside door handle..pita if it's raining. What's inside those GM doors nowadays? Solid linkage or a cable from handle to latch?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: 08 Silverado inside door handle not working

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:39 am

greybeard wrote:Manual locks and windows. I can't do much with it right now because of risk of cuts on GM's notoriously sharp edges on their stamped steel doors but I need to. I went to get out of the truck last week and the handle just came up with nothing happening with the door latch itself...like something has come loose. Have to reach out the window and open it with outside door handle..pita if it's raining. What's inside those GM doors nowadays? Solid linkage or a cable from handle to latch?

Pita cable that breaks I had the same issue first cable I changed 2nd time I used a bike cable and crimped it between the two broken cables 5 minute repair that way
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:02 pm

GB,
Watch this but make sure you are back up to speed first.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF4cwutEE7Q

Above shows door panel removal. Bottom link is manual I think.

https://youtu.be/1epMgHER_Xg
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:02 pm

On the older models I think you could unsnap the piece right around the handle. Most of the time the plastic broke on the handle, not the actual cable.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:30 pm

greybeard wrote:Manual locks and windows. I can't do much with it right now because of risk of cuts on GM's notoriously sharp edges on their stamped steel doors but I need to. I went to get out of the truck last week and the handle just came up with nothing happening with the door latch itself...like something has come loose. Have to reach out the window and open it with outside door handle..pita if it's raining. What's inside those GM doors nowadays? Solid linkage or a cable from handle to latch?

Buy a new truck tight wad problem solved.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:40 pm

We have a repair manual, which includes that year. Shall I look that up for you?
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:40 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:

Buy a new truck tight wad problem solved.

Have less than 100K on this one CB it's just gettin broke in good. It spends more time on grass than it does on pavement and always has. Beat up so bad on the outside I wouldn't get much for trade-in and I don't need a truck note.

Workinonit Farm, Thank you, but I did find my owner's manual and Chilton book for the truck. From Youtube, it appears there is a cable from the handle to the latch that breaks and OEM replacement part is pretty expensive but there is an aftermarket kit for about $50. It's a known problem with 07-2011 GM trucks and some SUVs. However, in some instances, it's the handle assy itself that is broke. I just won't know until I get in there.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”