Kubota RTV X 900 opinions ?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Kubota RTV X 900 opinions ?

Postby jd720 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 pm

After looking at several options I`ve pretty much decided on getting a Kubota RTV X 900 to use here on the farm. I don`t want anything that goes too fast so the kids don`t get hurt and we won`t take it on the road so I think it will serve the purpose and be a real upgrade over the 2001 Yamaha 4 wheeler I`ve used all these years. I`m sure some of you have these so just wondering how you like them. Have any of you installed the coast valve ? Do they really help take away the sudden stop of the hydrostat transmission ?
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Re: Kubota RTV X 900 opinions ?

Postby ddd75 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:17 am

never heard of the coast valve.. I like how mine stops.. I can't even remember the last time I used the brake.

I have RTV X 900 ..

The only thing mine needed was the throttle / transmission linkage adjusted to give it some more power. real simple to do. trans is a little tuff to change sometimes.. the old ones had a valve you pulled that worked a really good.. the newer ones you push the brake in all the way.. but it doesn't relieve it very well. I just tap the gas lightly and on the down rev you can shift it easily. you have to watch other people in it because they'll try to break your transmission lever pushing it as hard as they can.. like idiots. i don't let anyone touch mine ..

its tuff all around.. you'll hardly use your quad after having a nice bed to put everything in.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:42 am

I like mine and can't imagine being without it. Being diesel is always available and the Kubota sips fuel is a big deal for us. The only problem we've had is the front drive shaft wears out in a 1k hours, and the noise of the diesel engine is loud. Otherwise it's been bullet proof and we tow a trailer loaded with 4 bales of hay almost every day throughout the winter with it.
Why Kubota changed the transmissions from 3 speeds to 2 in the new models is beyond me? And it's the only reason we haven't bought another one.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:46 am

I'm not a Kubota fan. They are rough, heavy, expensive, less capable, and no more debendable than most other brands.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:53 am

Brute 23 wrote:I'm not a Kubota fan. They are rough, heavy, expensive, less capable, and no more debendable than most other brands.

Im not a fan of ford or chevy but people still drive them for some unknown reason. Kubotas are built for work just like the mules. sure they are not as flashy as the rest but some folks dont have to impress the neighbors.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

ClodHopper37869
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ClodHopper37869 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:12 am

I would buy another X900, I've got 1051 hrs, & 6775 miles on my X900. Only problem broken header pipe & muffler..
Last edited by ClodHopper37869 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:22 am

Brute 23 wrote:I'm not a Kubota fan. They are rough, heavy, expensive, less capable, and no more debendable than most other brands.

Less capable of running around fast over the rough stuff and through the mud for sure. Expensive? The fuel savings will pay the difference not even including longevity, practicality of the diesel engine. Towing and pulling is something that we need and depend on. We've planted 40 acres in a day using our JD 8200 double disc seed drill behind the Kubota, thanks to the rear hydraulics. The Kubota is a working machine, it might not be something that a weekend warrior - hunter needs. 20 different kids have drove ours non stop till they get arguing who's turn it is to drive, and so far no problems besides the front drive shaft.
I like the new Mules for the ride, speed and noise otherwise the Kubota is what we need around the farm.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:05 am

True Grit Farms wrote:

Less capable of running around fast over the rough stuff and through the mud for sure. Expensive? The fuel savings will pay the difference not even including longevity, practicality of the diesel engine. Towing and pulling is something that we need and depend on. We've planted 40 acres in a day using our JD 8200 double disc seed drill behind the Kubota, thanks to the rear hydraulics. The Kubota is a working machine, it might not be something that a weekend warrior - hunter needs. 20 different kids have drove ours non stop till they get arguing who's turn it is to drive, and so far no problems besides the front drive shaft.
I like the new Mules for the ride, speed and noise otherwise the Kubota is what we need around the farm.

They do not out work, out perform, use less fuel or last longer than the other brands. That is a fact. You can buy it cause you want it, buy it cause your wife likes it, buy it cause Kubota will finance to any one, buy it cause you like the color... none of the reasons matter to me why a person buys it... just don't think you are paying more for a superior machine... cause you are not.

Its your money buy what you want. They make a great dump bed and the hydraulics are handy IF you need them.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

They do not out work, out perform, use less fuel or last longer than the other brands. That is a fact. You can buy it cause you want it, buy it cause your wife likes it, buy it cause Kubota will finance to any one, buy it cause you like the color... none of the reasons matter to me why a person buys it... just don't think you are paying more for a superior machine... cause you are not.

Its your money buy what you want. They make a great dump bed and the hydraulics are handy IF you need them.

I'm willing to bet whatever on a fuel mileage, and or pulling contest against anything but a Honda Pioneer. I've never had the privilege of owning a Honda so I know nothing about them. I'll meet you half way anytime you want to shut up or put up. Let me be clear, I'm not saying Kubota is a superior machine for what you do. I know it's a superior machine for what I use it for compared to the Polaris, Mule or Rhino. I've personally owned and worked them all, and currently have a Mule, Grizzly and Club Car that we use for hunting and play.
0 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:44 pm

My crankshaft is bigger than your crankshaft . . . . . . . lol . . . . . . . . btw, I love Kobata and Dodge too.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:00 pm

jehosofat wrote:My crankshaft is bigger than your crankshaft . . . . . . . lol . . . . . . . . btw, I love Kobata and Dodge too.

It just rubs me wrong when folks talk stuff they know isn't true. You don't drive a Dodge truck because it's the fastest or best riding either.
1 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:01 pm

I have a RTV 1140. You might say its my daily driver. About the same machine as a 900 except it has a fold up second seat. I bought it in 2009 for the second seat as well as the extra bed space when its folded up. I have not done anything to it besides maintenance except to replace the CV joints on the front. Its a great machine. Yes its slow, heavy, and loud but I would darn sure buy another one. It keeps the pickup out of the pasture.
I'm sure their are other RTV's that are good, but their wasn't much to compare to in 2009 except mules and they had to have an aftermarket hydraulic setup to tilt the bed.
Oh yeah, I also drive a Ram.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:59 pm

keep in mind Brute recommends the Honda UTV.... The most crappy be nice UTV on the market..
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:20 am

I've worked on lots and lots and lots of 900s when I was employed at Kubota dealership. We were always glad to see them sell another one...job security for the shop employees and parts dept. I got good and fast at changing out that whole rear double wishbone that holds the bearing assemblies as well as changing transmissions and fixing that shift problem from neutral and the anomaly that would throw you out of the seat when you tried to come to a stop...every owner complained mightily about that one. I guess they've improved in quality in the last 9 years.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jd720 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:13 pm

A comment about impressing the neighbor in one of the other posts kinda made me chuckle a little. I`ve always said the people that need a utv can`t afford them but those that don`t need them seem to always have them. I`ve gotten by with the old 4 wheeler for 17 years but my neighbor who has a 3 acre place to take care of bought a new Gator a few years back and was more than happy to let me know it was a little over $16,000 he paid for it. I`m sure a used golf cart for $800 would`ve served the purpose just fine for his uses but it certainly wouldn`t have the cool factor like the Gator which he keeps in his garage and all shined up at all times. I pretty well made my mind up to buy a Kubota after I saw a RTV X900 parked beside a 825I gator at the Kubota dealer to me it looked much heavier made and more for work than the Gator. After pricing both there`s very little difference in price.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”