Rear discharge finish mower

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Rear discharge finish mower

Postby ohiosteve » Tue May 01, 2018 8:55 pm

So I've had this 7' finish mower at least 10 years it's seen some hard use. Been in some places it had no business being in. The baffles on the bottom that are supposed to guide the material flow are mangled and even though the blades don't hit them now, the belts slip really easily in heavy grass due to material plugging up. Can I just eliminate the mangled pieces or should I spend the time to replace them?
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Re: Rear discharge finish mower

Postby ohiosteve » Tue May 01, 2018 8:57 pm

Wrong picture obviously, this is what I meant.
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sat May 05, 2018 5:43 am

Looks to me like that little sucker has served you well. I'd find a nice quite place, plant some flowers, maybe a grave marker and send it off to never-never land.

I thought about rear discharge several times on a mid mount ZT because I have a lot of cross wind where I mow and kid you not, regardless....goggles or not, grass always gets in my right eye. Thought a RD would be the solution but checking on such, in the type machine I mentioned, seems I't have a lot of clumping and bunching behind the mower....don't want that. I like the fine residue from side discharge. However, the drag type doesn't seem to have that problem...or maybe it does.

I know on single blade shredders, I always tilt the back up so that I have full width cleared area to ensure that all the grass gets out when cut as it's cut for that finished look....if the grass/mowed area is low/thin enough to cooperate.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat May 05, 2018 6:32 am

Can I just eliminate the mangled pieces or should I spend the time to replace them?

You can remove, but it want blow as good. I would say it will work fine without them as from using lawn mowers the biggest difference I have seen is blowing pressure with those there. Maybe not, but from looking at the picture it almost looks like a blade is on upside down.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sat May 05, 2018 3:10 pm

jltrent wrote:Can I just eliminate the mangled pieces or should I spend the time to replace them?

You can remove, but it want blow as good. I would say it will work fine without them as from using lawn mowers the biggest difference I have seen is blowing pressure with those there. Maybe not, but from looking at the picture it almost looks like a blade is on upside down.

That is a good thought JL, I am going to have to check that. I've been known to drink a few beers while working on stuff in the evening...
1 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sat May 05, 2018 3:52 pm

Get some hammers and get to straightening up the bent areas.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sun May 06, 2018 7:12 am

The tin "curtain direct clippings to the rear. Without them clipping and rocks, and that piece of steel you didn't see hiding in the grass can be ejected where they are hit. Not a good idea.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sun May 06, 2018 7:41 am

I straightened it up the best I could and it is mowing much better now. I gotta stop running that thing through the woods.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun May 06, 2018 9:35 am

ohiosteve wrote:I straightened it up the best I could and it is mowing much better now. I gotta stop running that thing through the woods.

Gotta ask....was a blade or two installed wrong? :)
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sun May 06, 2018 11:19 am

1982vett wrote:
ohiosteve wrote:I straightened it up the best I could and it is mowing much better now. I gotta stop running that thing through the woods.

Gotta ask....was a blade or two installed wrong? :)

Surprisingly they were all on the right way but it wouldn't have surprised me if I had one flipped.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”