Trailer tires

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Trailer tires

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:23 am

Trailer tires these days suck I just checked pressure greased axles 75 miles later a person tells me my tires busted. Never felt or heard anything trailer was empty.. why do I keep farming ??? Oh yea I love the constant bs and torture.

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Re: Trailer tires

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:06 pm

Frustrating for sure. I run load range G on practically all heavy trailers. I had one blow a hole in the side wall. It wouldn't take air and I couldn't figure out why. Pulled the outside tire and saw the hole on the inside tire. It only had about 900 miles on it. Yokohama tire
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:14 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:Frustrating for sure. I run load range G on practically all heavy trailers. I had one blow a hole in the side wall. It wouldn't take air and I couldn't figure out why. Pulled the outside tire and saw the hole on the inside tire. It only had about 900 miles on it. Yokohama tire

Oh it gets better the spare the trailer place sold me doesn't even fit that hub... :mad: I took the tire off the drums about 8 inches off the ground so thats how it will limp home. Where do you buy your tires and brand you use? I have tried several different companies they all are crap from where I found.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:28 pm

trailer tires should be replaced every 5 yrs whether they have any miles on them or not. I just started buying real trailer tires for my utility trailers a few years ago . I had always ran used car tires but I dealt with flats more often. Had 2 put on my utv trailer a few weeks ago 140.00 out the door at Road Mart
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:37 pm

I'm not overly happy with any 15" trailer tire. But these seem to be holding up on a single axle trailer that I tow my Samurai on.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Whee ... 10303.html
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:46 pm

M-5 wrote:trailer tires should be replaced every 5 yrs whether they have any miles on them or not. I just started buying real trailer tires for my utility trailers a few years ago . I had always ran used car tires but I dealt with flats more often. Had 2 put on my utv trailer a few weeks ago 140.00 out the door at Road Mart

Yea i never ran car or truck tires on a trailer these tires only been on since December.

True Grit Farms wrote:I'm not overly happy with any 15" trailer tire. But these seem to be holding up on a single axle trailer that I tow my Samurai on.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Whee ... 10303.html

thanks yea 15" sucks
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:04 pm

I wish they would make a semi trailer tire that could fit on a 15" rim, and still have clearance so it didn't rub the sides.
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:35 pm

M-5 wrote:trailer tires should be replaced every 5 yrs whether they have any miles on them or not. I just started buying real trailer tires for my utility trailers a few years ago . I had always ran used car tires but I dealt with flats more often. Had 2 put on my utv trailer a few weeks ago 140.00 out the door at Road Mart

My uncle put some used tires on one of my trailers. I only had about 6 tons on it, thank goodness. I cleaned out the ditches on both sides of the road and tore up all rims. The money he saved with used tires wound up being very costly. Time consuming too. Lucky there was no oncoming traffic or it would have been much worse.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:53 pm

i think most all trailer manufacturers put the cheapest tires possible on trailers to pricepoint the sell
3 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:21 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:Frustrating for sure. I run load range G on practically all heavy trailers. I had one blow a hole in the side wall. It wouldn't take air and I couldn't figure out why. Pulled the outside tire and saw the hole on the inside tire. It only had about 900 miles on it. Yokohama tire

Oh it gets better the spare the trailer place sold me doesn't even fit that hub... :mad: I took the tire off the drums about 8 inches off the ground so thats how it will limp home. Where do you buy your tires and brand you use? I have tried several different companies they all are crap from where I found.
I get almost everything now from Simpletire online , free shipping and most of the time I get it next day . Big catalog , good descriptions , highly reccomend. I feel for ya, Ive ruined 3 tires on different things in the last month . Very frustrating .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:21 am

BobbyLummus1 wrote:i think most all trailer manufacturers put the cheapest tires possible on trailers to pricepoint the sell

Exactly. It is the age we live in. If a trailer cost $20 less 100 miles away, people will burn $30 worth of fuel to go get it.

I bought a flat bed from an estate sale, drug it to Goodyear immediately and replaced everything on it. Wound up with nearly half the price of the trailer spent again on tires.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:10 am

snoopdog wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I get almost everything now from Simpletire online , free shipping and most of the time I get it next day . Big catalog , good descriptions , highly reccomend. I feel for ya, Ive ruined 3 tires on different things in the last month . Very frustrating .

Thanks... I sure would love to have some aircraft tires on trailers
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”