Ford 3600 running problems..........

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
jltrent
GURU
GURU

Ford 3600 running problems..........

Postby jltrent » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:49 am

My old Ford has been acting up and trying to get to the bottom of it. At times it will run good all day and then it will take spells that it starts losing power. I can stop the engine for a few seconds and it will run good again for a short while when it is acting up. It seems when it is acting up it smokes a lot more. I have put a new fuel filter on, taken the injectors out, took them a apart and cleaned, blowed air pressure from the filter back in the tank. The fuel flow seems good at the bottom of the filter as I drain it often. It has north of 6k hours and before I go messing with the injection pump I want to try everything first. To get the pump rebuilt I bet is close to 1K as I believe I will try aftermarket first. A neighbor took his pump twice to get work done and still had problems and he is please with his aftermarket pump. Anybody else had experience with these AM pumps or what might be the problem? Also it seems harder to start than it use to be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Injection ... 1438.l2649
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Ford 3600 running problems..........

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:12 am

Yesterday while running jd 7200 kept losing power ran fine on flat land but hills cut off. It was fuel filters. I would change them and see what happens.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:52 am

I'd fill the filter up with transmission fluid and stall the engine the second it starts to smoke. There's a screen in some injection pumps it's right at the inlet line, that might be clogged.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:56 am

jltrent wrote:My old Ford has been acting up and trying to get to the bottom of it. At times it will run good all day and then it will take spells that it starts losing power. I can stop the engine for a few seconds and it will run good again for a short while when it is acting up. It seems when it is acting up it smokes a lot more. I have put a new fuel filter on, taken the injectors out, took them a apart and cleaned, blowed air pressure from the filter back in the tank. The fuel flow seems good at the bottom of the filter as I drain it often. It has north of 6k hours and before I go messing with the injection pump I want to try everything first. To get the pump rebuilt I bet is close to 1K as I believe I will try aftermarket first. A neighbor took his pump twice to get work done and still had problems and he is please with his aftermarket pump. Anybody else had experience with these AM pumps or what might be the problem? Also it seems harder to start than it use to be.

Check the screen on top of the lift pump some models have one if the use the Massey style pump.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Lift-Pump-f ... 2924089924
0 x

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:10 am

If you use a bulk tank at home and don't use that much fuel,you may have an algae problem in the fuel.I ran inr=to this last year and had two tractors quit running just like they ran out of fuel.
The 5000 was stopped up so badly we thought the lift or injection pumps were bad.My HD mechanic/welder recommended
a product called Bio Bor.
I ordered some and put in all my equipmentand the bulk tank.Had to leave it in the 5000 for a while but finally got it started.Been running fine.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:56 am

Your way smarter on these than I am but it seems that on the older Ford's the injectors would loose pressure. Does it smoke more at idle and clear up at higher RPM?
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:10 am

jltrent wrote:My old Ford has been acting up and trying to get to the bottom of it. At times it will run good all day and then it will take spells that it starts losing power. I can stop the engine for a few seconds and it will run good again for a short while when it is acting up. It seems when it is acting up it smokes a lot more. I have put a new fuel filter on, taken the injectors out, took them a apart and cleaned, blowed air pressure from the filter back in the tank. The fuel flow seems good at the bottom of the filter as I drain it often. It has north of 6k hours and before I go messing with the injection pump I want to try everything first. To get the pump rebuilt I bet is close to 1K as I believe I will try aftermarket first. A neighbor took his pump twice to get work done and still had problems and he is please with his aftermarket pump. Anybody else had experience with these AM pumps or what might be the problem? Also it seems harder to start than it use to be.

There is a screen in the end of the pump. it is where the fuel tube goes to. It is under the fuel inlet.

Item 8 in the New Holland parts catalog. https://partstore.agriculture.newhollan ... 90ar497858
Last edited by hurleyjd on Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:16 am

Drain the tank out and check the screen on the shut off valve. Blowing back into the tank will dislodge gunk but as fuel is fed out of the tank the gunk just re accumulates on the screen. Also the mechanical lift pump diaphram will get full of gunk and cause the lift pump to not work the best.
1 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:26 am

I have a similar tractor, it's a 540 industrial but very similar design and had a very similar problem with erratic running and like others said it was a screen that stuck into the tank above the shut off valve. The screen became dislodged and there was debris that would partially block the hole. I took the whole assembly apart and drained the tank and put it back together problem solved.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:07 am

Excellent advice from everybody...thanks...the pump screen, worn injectors, bottom tank screen, lift pump and others advice I will try. Put a new fuel filter and bio-diesel plus a $15 bottle of Lucas cleaner in recently. It smokes like crazy even idling as the worn injectors sound like a problem maybe.

Bo Cope delivered the tractor new on a cold February 22, 1977 morning (had the date wrote down under the hood) from the local Ford tractor dealer (traded a Ford Dexta plus $5200 to boot) . It still has the original paint on the hood and original clutch with well over 6k hours. Replace the water pump, PS pump, rebuilt the starter, alternator and new brakes once through the years. Added 2 spool hydraulics latter. As soon as the weather broke when it was new plowed 20 acres with 2 bottom 14" plows to break it in and has newer used oil between 100 hr oil changes.

Here it is idling and the fuel has never been turned (recalibrated) up on it. I wonder about the injectors worn or maybe the pump is pumping to much fuel as it appears to be getting plenty (to much)Going through the field yesterday, my son driving, it looked like a freight train as it was smoking to much...New injector nozzles I noticed were around $30 each as I wrote the number down when I had them a part.

Last edited by jltrent on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:19 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Drain the tank out and check the screen on the shut off valve. Blowing back into the tank will dislodge gunk but as fuel is fed out of the tank the gunk just re accumulates on the screen. Also the mechanical lift pump diaphram will get full of gunk and cause the lift pump to not work the best.

Ford 3600 doesn't use a diaphragm lift pump. It's a blade & rotor type pump integral to the injector pump, bolted on to the very rear end of the injector pump.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:57 am

Good catch I was thinking about the 4 and 6cyl ford's with the inline injection pumps.

The screen in the tank is a major source of grief, I clean a few of them a year on various tractors for people.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:28 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Good catch I was thinking about the 4 and 6cyl ford's with the inline injection pumps.

The screen in the tank is a major source of grief, I clean a few of them a year on various tractors for people.

I have a 3600 and have had that pump off before and really wished it DID have a separate transfer pump like the diaphragm pump on my old Leyland..that one incorporates a hand operated priming pump which is a big help when you run out of fuel or change the filters..
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:42 pm

The pump is just a CAV "DPA" pump.. any fuel injection shop should have the entire reseal kit for it for about $20-25.. The screen in it is cleanable though. How does it start? There is the vane pump in there too, and apparently if they start going bad the tractor will be hard to start.

Furthermore, there's the advance mechanism underneath the pump (Part #102 in the diagram) that relies on fuel pressure to activate.. smoking a lot could mean late timing, and that would be a cause.
The pumps aren't rocket science to take apart, I'd get the seal kit and reseal it, clean everything out really good, inspect the vanes and housing (maybe just replace?) and the pump should be good for a long time yet.

It's totally possible the injectors are getting tired.. $30 is just for the nozzle, you'll have to get the pressures reset too.. any injection shop should be able to do it easily
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:42 pm

greybeard wrote:
chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Good catch I was thinking about the 4 and 6cyl ford's with the inline injection pumps.

I have a 3600 and have had that pump off before and really wished it DID have a separate transfer pump like the diaphragm pump on my old Leyland..that one incorporates a hand operated priming pump which is a big help when you run out of fuel or change the filters..

What leyland do you have? We have a 154 gasser and a BMC diesel which is driving me insane
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”