Drive sprocket on vermeer baler

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Drive sprocket on vermeer baler

Postby snoopdog » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:54 pm

Burned a bearing on the upper roller , on the drive side of course . Got it tore down to the sprocket , split bushing and outer sprocket came off fairly easy , now there are are no press bolts. Do I just use a puller? I don't see any other way , the manual is no help .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Western tip of VA

Re: Drive sprocket on vermeer baler

Postby jltrent » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:53 am

Kinda confusing understanding what your question is. On the picture you loosen up the outer collar (unscrew the threaded insert on the collar and take a punch and turn the collar a little and it will back off the bearing. What is left of the bearing that is on the shaft sometimes as it gets hot will almost weld on the shaft. Sometimes you can take penetrating oil and pliers and get off. What I usually do is take a (Dremel with a cutting wheel on the end of a shaft) and cut accross the rest of the bearing and it comes off the shaft easy then. (takes about 5 minutes and a couple cutoff wheels.) Check the roller shaft for wear (if wear need to get fixed or replace) and replace with a greaser-able bearing kit and you will have no more problems if you keep it greased. I wish I was there and in about ten minutes I would have that off for you.


Image

Image


I have one of these that works good cutting the bearing off the shaft, but you can't get it in tight places as good as the dremel.
3 in. Heavy Duty Electric Cut-Off Tool
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-heav ... 68523.html
Image
Last edited by jltrent on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: Drive sprocket on vermeer baler

Postby snoopdog » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:01 am

Thanks jl, It's the triple sprocket bearing with the inner sprocket being the problem for now . I just didn't have the gas last night , get some coffee down and get after it in a few .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Western tip of VA

Re: Drive sprocket on vermeer baler

Postby jltrent » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:13 am

snoopdog wrote:Thanks jl, It's the triple sprocket bearing with the inner sprocket being the problem for now . I just didn't have the gas last night , get some coffee down and get after it in a few .



If a torch handy heat it red hot and it might back off easy. I usually try everything until I fix it and in a few cases on some of this equipment destroyed the part. Even destroying it I came out cheaper than getting charged $80/hr labor.
1 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3574
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas

Re: Drive sprocket on vermeer baler

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:19 am

snoopdog wrote:Burned a bearing on the upper roller , on the drive side of course . Got it tore down to the sprocket , split bushing and outer sprocket came off fairly easy , now there are are no press bolts. Do I just use a puller? I don't see any other way , the manual is no help .


Have you removed the set screws in the sprocket hub there may be two. One over the key stock and another about ninety degree and it sets against the shaft.
You may have to use a puller.
0 x

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: Drive sprocket on vermeer baler

Postby snoopdog » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:26 am

hurleyjd wrote:
snoopdog wrote:Burned a bearing on the upper roller , on the drive side of course . Got it tore down to the sprocket , split bushing and outer sprocket came off fairly easy , now there are are no press bolts. Do I just use a puller? I don't see any other way , the manual is no help .


Have you removed the set screws in the sprocket hub there may be two. One over the key stock and another about ninety degree and it sets against the shaft.
You may have to use a puller.
No ,i have not , thank you . That is one reason I just had to quit last night , when you are exhausted it's better to simply getaway from it sometimes . You have just given me light , I'm usually pretty good with this stuff , but that just absolutely escaped me.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13203
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Drive sprocket on vermeer baler

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:37 am

if all else fails you can cut them off with a torch, just use a really hot torch and hold it at a steep angle to the shaft.. bearing will cut and the shaft will stay too cold to get hurt
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: Drive sprocket on vermeer baler

Postby snoopdog » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:26 am

Update , all disassembly complete with the help of the hotwrench. We got almost an inch of rain , probably only 20 bales in the field to bale , so not too disappointed , we really needed the rain . Get it back together today or tomorrow , thanks everyone .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests