Ain't Supposed to Happen

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Ain't Supposed to Happen

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:02 am

True Grit Farms wrote:It doesn't matter where it's made as long as it's made right. A solid shank with the ball welded is the best hitch. I'm not a big fan on bolting things together when it comes to hitches and balls.

Thanks.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:19 am

These are hard to beat. You have a ball for everything and solid shank.

https://www.harborfreight.com/triple-ba ... 61914.html
1 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:33 am

ohiosteve wrote:
greybeard wrote:
ohiosteve wrote:That sure could have ended badly. The way that hitch is milled down to recess the ball must have made the hitch a little to thin. Seems like a design flaw. I'm glad no one got hurt.

The shallow (1/8" ? ) depth of that stamping or milling shouldn't have been enough to weaken it to the point of complete failure. There's more to it than just the absence of thickness in that area.
IF, the hole for the ball stud was punched instead of drilled, it could weakened it enough, but seems like every one they built that way would have failed.

If I take a piece of flat stock and drill an hole in the middle of it and then try to bend it, it will bend at the hole every time. If I grind each side of the hole it will bend at the hole even easier. That's all I'm saying.

But if you put a bolt through that holes and snugged a nut up tight it would now be the strongest part of that flat stock.
Which makes me wonder: had the ball come loose?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:55 am

jltrent wrote:These are hard to beat. You have a ball for everything and solid shank.

https://www.harborfreight.com/triple-ba ... 61914.html

Those are good but sometimes depending on truck height if you try to level the trailer you need drop or rise and those sometimes don't do it.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:14 am

Silver wrote:
ohiosteve wrote:
greybeard wrote:The shallow (1/8" ? ) depth of that stamping or milling shouldn't have been enough to weaken it to the point of complete failure. There's more to it than just the absence of thickness in that area.
IF, the hole for the ball stud was punched instead of drilled, it could weakened it enough, but seems like every one they built that way would have failed.

If I take a piece of flat stock and drill an hole in the middle of it and then try to bend it, it will bend at the hole every time. If I grind each side of the hole it will bend at the hole even easier. That's all I'm saying.

But if you put a bolt through that holes and snugged a nut up tight it would now be the strongest part of that flat stock.
Which makes me wonder: had the ball come loose?

Great point
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:32 am

More than likely it was a combination of several factors.
1) tongue weight could have exceeded hitch rating.
2) may have been a cheap hitch
3) and most likely is that those adapters that adapt a 2” hitch to a 2.5” or 3” receiver have play in them which allows the hitch to bounce up and down too much. Adds extra stress.

Combine several small failures and you could have a big failure. Good safety chains on that trailer though.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:26 am

By some coincidence, this just came up in my facebook feed.. looks like this isn't the only occurrence.. I'd find out the manufacturer on that ASAP! This warrants a recall.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”