Changing Hydraulic Filter

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
jltrent
GURU
GURU

Re: Changing Hydraulic Filter

Post by jltrent » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:21 pm

sstterry wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:15 pm
The manual says the GT65a is 70 hp with 65 at pto. Never had a problem with it doing what is required.
NEBRASKA TRACTOR TEST LABORATORY have a GT55a and GT75a test results, but no GT65a.

https://tractortestlab.unl.edu/agco

Texasmark
GURU
GURU

Post by Texasmark » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:10 am

I consult the owner's manual first to see their method and cautions concerning the process. If I can't find out anything and always suspecting the filter would be connected to the sump directly, with the filtered fluid going to the pump (for pump reliability reasons) I prepare for the job expecting to loose some fluid.

I get a catch pan, like used to change the engine oil, under the filter interface, have the new filter ready, rapidly spin the old filter off and the new one on. The last time I did it on a 15ish gallon sump I maybe lost a quart of fluid......spilled, not including what was contained in the filter.

On why just the filter and not drain the whole sump, I didn't feel replacing the fluid at the time, just to be replacing it.....like the 50 hour service on a new tractor, was justified in my case. My equipment, I maintain it, my money, my decision. On any warranty issues, had I had a malfunction associated with fluid the monkey was on my back, not the OEMs.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:20 am

I changed it all out yesterday, not much initial fluid loss, but I replaced the fluid too. Changing the filter on this tractor was easier than I thought, but I did have to spend a lot of time under the tractor because the housing was hard to get too.