bearing buddy

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

bearing buddy

Post by skyhightree1 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Does anyone use bearing buddies? I use them on my landscape trailers and love them. My friend uses them and loses 1 every week but we cant figure out why. It is mostly on the same side and I tell him he must be hitting the same pothole and losing them. It has got me stumped as to what can make you loose so many.

Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

slick4591
Mentor
Mentor

Re: bearing buddy

Post by slick4591 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:07 pm

I don't use them and now knowing that a pothole will pop one I won't waste my money. Thanks for letting me know.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

denvermartinfarms
GURU
GURU

Post by denvermartinfarms » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:09 pm

I use them and haven't ever lost one, I really like them, and don't know why he would be losing them, I didn't think hitting a hole would do it that easy.
This world is not my home i'm just passing through

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:16 pm

i love mine too and no issues with mine.. He drives i-85 everyday and even in the nicest most comfortable car it will feel like you are riding in a covered wagon. The potholes are huge on 85 here. I will never not use them. i wonder if you can over fill them and grease get between the buddy and your axle and make it lubed and pop out ? I dont know im grabbing for straws.
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

highgrit
GURU
GURU

Post by highgrit » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:18 pm

I run them and lose them. If you use your trailer in the woods or other tight spaces you will knock them off.
Also they are not any good on braking axles. You can push the grease past the rear seal really easy, then the brakes are useless. Your right if you put a double lipped seal in it can push the buddy bearing back out.
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:23 pm

I have lost a bearing buddy pulling the trailer in the woods with the 4 wheeler moving stand but on the road I haven't. We normally just do 2 lil manual pumps in each buddy monday morning before they leave and id say they put atleast being conservative 500 miles a week never any issues.

lavacarancher
GURU
GURU

Post by lavacarancher » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:03 am

Sky, I use them on all my trailers and have not had any problems at all. You do need to make sure you get the right size. The ones I have now fit really tight - I had to install them with a block of wood and a BIG hammer. Hope I don't ever have to take them off because they're goinin' be a beach.
If you think you're in charge, try bossing someone else's dog around.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:48 am

I want to put them on my cow trailer, I didn't know they weren't supposed to be used in an application with trailer brakes. I have had a horse trailer or two that I bought used, that had them on them. In those cases, I didn't own the trailer long enough to mess with the bearings. Will I regret putting them on my cow trailer?
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Post by cross_7 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:05 am

I have to listen to all the mfg's presentations and they claim #1 cause of bearing failure is over greasing, granted they are talking sealed bearings and pushing out the seal
But they also mentioned the bearing buddy
1- They claim that over greasing will ruin the back seal on the hub when over greased allowing dirt, water and etc in the hub.
2- They claim if you just hit it with one or two pumps all the grease is in the dust cap never reaching the bearing
3- They claim the spindle washer blocks most of the grease ever getting to the outside bearing muchless the inside.
4- If you put enough in that you force it past the outside bearing and to the inside bearing and then push it to the seal but are lucky enough not to damage the seal, the grease is packed in so tight it's actually hard on the bearings
5- Most greases used or not for high speed bearings

Whether this is right I can't say
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:51 am

cross_7 wrote:I have to listen to all the mfg's presentations and they claim #1 cause of bearing failure is over greasing, granted they are talking sealed bearings and pushing out the seal
1- They claim that over greasing will ruin the back seal on the hub when over greased allowing dirt, water and etc in the hub.
2- They claim if you just hit it with one or two pumps all the grease is in the dust cap never reaching the bearing
3- They claim the spindle washer blocks most of the grease ever getting to the outside bearing muchless the inside.
4- If you put enough in that you force it past the outside bearing and to the inside bearing and then push it to the seal but are lucky enough not to damage the seal, the grease is packed in so tight it's actually hard on the bearings

Sounds logical.

I'll go old school, and just keep packing them my self.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
cross_7 wrote:I have to listen to all the mfg's presentations and they claim #1 cause of bearing failure is over greasing, granted they are talking sealed bearings and pushing out the seal

Sounds logical.

I'll go old school, and just keep packing them my self.

Bigfoot not to discredit anything cross has said I will tell you my personal experience. I have bearing buddies on my cattle trailer and my business trailers that are 2 axles and single axle trailers the 2 tandem axles have them on there.. As I mentioned before I do give a couple pumps a week for grease. The bearing buddies have a spring that presses the grease on the bearing and what I do is only keep it pumped half way so there isnt that much pressure I think you should try them they are 20 bucks and as long as you use self control and dont try to fill them up too much you should be ok.

highgrit
GURU
GURU

Post by highgrit » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Bigfoot, when you force grease past the seal on an axle that has electric drum brakes you have a mess. The magnet doesn't grab the drum, and the shoes and drums are slick as ice. With disc brakes a little extra grease is not nearly as bad. After a while a few pumps a week is going to mean no brakes on a trailer with electric drum brakes. Fact I have done this many a time. Very slow learner here.
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:55 pm

[quote="highgrit"]. After a while a few pumps a week is going to mean no brakes on a trailer with electric drum brakes.quote]

I think it also matters how much you drive your trailers mine roll constantly and are loaded coming and going. I have never now that I say this something crazy will happen probably. I bought all my landscape trailers in 2001 and have never changed 1 bearing on them and they are nice and tight. Its like anything else you buy a dodge you love it no problems I buy one have every problem known to man. :lol2:

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Post by dun » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:37 am

In the past I used them on travel trailers. In the past and currently I use them on bot trailers, Mainly becaue I want the bearings packed as tight as possible becuase they get submerged so frequently.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:39 am

"a couple of pumps a week". In a year, that's over 100 pumps. Where do ya think all that grease is going?
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.