wheel loaders

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
D.R. Cattle
GURU
GURU

wheel loaders

Postby D.R. Cattle » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:45 pm

Any you guys spend any time with front end loaders? Thinking about messing around with some land clearing ventures down here. Spent several days on rented machines but not a guru by any means, but I've spent 1000's of hours on forklifts which are very similar. They were JD544's, and I was quite fond of them. Same size machine in CAT would be about 938 I suppose. Have no feedback on the JAP models like Komatsu. Any opinions/suggestions?
0 x
-Annoy a liberal; work, succeed and be happy.
-Eat more beef.

TheBullLady
GURU
GURU

Postby TheBullLady » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:20 pm

Although I'm not "a guy".. we have a loader and dozer. Hubby builds tanks and clears land / fencelines here in his "spare time". We've got a Cat 955 loader that's really handy, and a 16B Fiat dozer.

If you're going to be in rough ground or a lot of mesquite, track is the only way to go! Tires for wheel loaders are $$. Like anything else, you need to get a machine and spend some hours on it to get good at it. It's actually fun!
0 x

D.R. Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby D.R. Cattle » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:08 am

955 is a pretty good sized machine. Was considering something a little smaller and more agile.
0 x

-Eat more beef.

Subsoil
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Subsoil » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:00 am

D.R. - Have you considered a used skidder. If you are just using it for pushing brush, you could put a rake on the front and do a pretty good job and I'm sure it would be cheaper than a loader because not as many people have a use for them. If you're wanting to use the bucket for dirt work, then your stuck needing a loader. However, I think the skidder would be superior to a dozer for some pushing jobs around the place because it's lots faster.
0 x

D.R. Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby D.R. Cattle » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:22 am

Need to have the bucket option. I'm even considering a HD brush cutter or shredder as an implement.
0 x

-Eat more beef.

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”