Page 1 of 2

First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:43 am
by Oldtimer
The first Brazilian fresh beef has been shipped to the U.S. And without COOL they can mix and match, comingle, and pass it all off as U.S. domestic product to unknowing consumers...

And coincidentally cattle futures dropped limit down today !




The First Fresh Beef Shipped to US from Brazil
Tuesday, September 27, 2016/

Reuters reports:



Brazilian meatpacker Marfrig Global Foods SA, a JBS rival, announced on Sunday that it had shipped its first cargo of fresh beef to the United States, saying it was the first trade of that type ever done.

One day later, JBS SA said a container had left one of its plants heading to the American market.

Brazil is expected to ship some 20,000 tons of beef to the United States this year.


The official, who is in charge of meatpacker JBS SA's division for the trade bloc formed by Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and Venezuela, believes the United States will be among the five key markets for Brazilian fresh beef as soon as 2017.

Brazil and the United States last month concluded a deal to allow for bilateral trade of fresh beef. As part of the deal, Brazil was included in a duty-free quota of 64,800 tons per year with other countries.

Brazilian fresh beef exports to the United States will be competitive even if subject to a 26.4 percent duty when shipped outside of a tax-free quota, Miguel Gularte, the head of JBS Mercosur, said on Friday.
http://www.northernag.net/AGNews/AgNews ... razil.aspx

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:38 am
by Bigfoot
If we had to point the actual finger of blame, where would go. Was cool changed with a pen stroke, an act, what made the change?

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:44 am
by Margonme
US Foreign trade policy sucks. Has been going that way since World War II. The concept that we can help everyone and take care of the world is the biggest myth since Hanzel and Gretel.

Dumbest Nation on the Planet. I wish people could only see it!

BTW: Someone in the News made a very clear statement to that effect. Guy may be goofy in some ways but he is dead right on our Trade Policies and he recognizes that it has been occurring in all administrations regardless of party. This country has not negotiated a good trade agreement since Hector was a Pup.

I hope discussing Foreign Trade is not Politics.
:hide:

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:35 am
by TennesseeTuxedo
When can we start shipping to China? That should help.

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:52 am
by HDRider
Margonme wrote:US Foreign trade policy sucks. Has been going that way since World War II. The concept that we can help everyone and take care of the world is the biggest myth since Hanzel and Gretel.

Dumbest Nation on the Planet. I wish people could only see it!

BTW: Someone in the News made a very clear statement to that effect. Guy may be goofy in some ways but he is dead right on our Trade Policies and he recognizes that it has been occurring in all administrations regardless of party. This country has not negotiated a good trade agreement since Hector was a Pup.

I hope discussing Foreign Trade is not Politics.
:hide:

Without debate.

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:49 pm
by Cross-7
Correct me if I am wrong but I understood COOL was a NAFTA deal only and only affected North American raised beef
It had no bearing on labeling outside Canada and Mexico

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:55 pm
by True Grit Farms
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:When can we start shipping to China? That should help.


China has more red tape and hurdles that US beef has to make its way through, so that makes it not worth shipping beef to China anytime in the near future. The imports hurt the US way more than the export market. It's all political and we have no one in DC that knows how to run a business, their all politicians not business people.

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:58 pm
by True Grit Farms
Cross-7 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but I understood COOL was a NAFTA deal only and only affected North American raised beef
It had no bearing on labeling outside Canada and Mexico


I thought we all ready hashed this out? Canada and Mexico raised such a big stink that's why it didn't pass the vote. Every country would of had to put labels on their imports into the US.

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:01 pm
by True Grit Farms

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:08 pm
by Cross-7
True Grit Farms wrote:http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2015/12/usda-ends-cool-enforcement-with-presidents-signature-on-omnibus-bill/

Here it is again Cross_7.



. R-CALF said the repeal amounts to a gift by the President and Congress to 15 other nations that produce beef and pork for sale in the U.S.


Based on the article it was Canada and Mexico that raised the sink so the president and congress bent us over for the rest of the world

Edit to add
That's fine by me I'll get an EBT card and buy foreign beef and sit in the shade, bbq and drink beer all day

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:26 pm
by True Grit Farms
Cross-7 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2015/12/usda-ends-cool-enforcement-with-presidents-signature-on-omnibus-bill/

Here it is again Cross_7.



. R-CALF said the repeal amounts to a gift by the President and Congress to 15 other nations that produce beef and pork for sale in the U.S.


Based on the article it was Canada and Mexico that raised the sink so the president and congress bent us over for the rest of the world

Edit to add
That's fine by me I'll get an EBT card and buy foreign beef and sit in the shade, bbq and drink beer all day


Yes you are correct Cross_7. The worst part is the NCBA backed the government. I was in on a conference call between the NCBA and GCA and was against NCBA backing the government. And Colin said if COOL passed the US cattlemen would get slaughtered, well what the heck do you call this.

http://www.beefusa.org Here's a link to the convention in Nashville in February. I'm thinking I need a refund on my dues.

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:06 pm
by Oldtimer
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:When can we start shipping to China? That should help.


They still have to work out all the details- which historically have not been very expeditive-- could be months or years...Right now I'm not very optimistic...

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:17 pm
by Oldtimer
True Grit Farms wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but I understood COOL was a NAFTA deal only and only affected North American raised beef
It had no bearing on labeling outside Canada and Mexico


I thought we all ready hashed this out? Canada and Mexico raised such a big stink that's why it didn't pass the vote. Every country would of had to put labels on their imports into the US.


No- the COOL law passed by Congress and signed into law was for beef products imported from anywhere in the world- BUT Canada and Mexico raised a stink claiming it violated NAFTA - and the WTO agreed with them and threatened sanctions on the U.S.-- so the Congress panicked and rescinded the entire law at the bequest of the Big 4 Meatpackers which they wanted so the could import cheap beef/meat products from all over the world and pass them off as domestic US raised beef- and kill the US cattle market like is happening now.. Which also leaves the consumer public eating "mystery Meat" unless they shop directly from local producer...

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:52 pm
by Supa Dexta
You guys impose plenty of tarriffs on us too - so don't act as if we're the problem you guys agreed to something and then didnt play by the rules. Cost us billions in the meantime.

Re: First Shipments of Brazilian Beef to US

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:08 pm
by Aaron
The best thing that can happen is for Trump to get in and tear up all the trade agreements. Let's start from scratch and make agreements between 2 countries, rather than these group pacts like NAFTA and TPP that just handcuff countries down the line.