prices up

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
angus9259
GURU
GURU

prices up

Postby angus9259 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:33 pm

Prices are trending up here. Slaughter cows have picked up a dime and 5 wts are crowding $1.60 at this last sale.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: prices up

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:47 pm

That's a little better than here, I averaged $740. a head last week at the sale barn. I'm expecting 3 times that tomorrow at the UGA bred heifer sale...hopefully.
Cows are good, more cows are better.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:01 pm

Some things appear to be up. Others maybe not. Last week I bought 14 pairs. 12 black cows and 2 reds. All with 150 pound black calves. Three first calf heifers, five mid aged cows, and six broken mouth cows. All the old cows don't look their age. Great udders, good feet, just missing a tooth or two. Averaged weighing about 1,200. I paid $1,078 a head.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:39 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:That's a little better than here, I averaged $740. a head last week at the sale barn. I'm expecting 3 times that tomorrow at the UGA bred heifer sale...hopefully.

You can only get what someone is willing to pay. My 3 times the sale barn price didn't work out so well. We didn't even adverage twice as much as the sale barn, and had to pay $500. to the test station for feed and breeding.
We broke even at best.

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:56 pm

I just sold a couple bred heifers off the farm. Nice animals just outside my calving window. $1500 each. Seemed low but I wanted to move them. They aren't due till Dec 1. Maybe I shouldn't complain.....

TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 pm

angus9259 wrote:I just sold a couple bred heifers off the farm. Nice animals just outside my calving window. $1500 each. Seemed low but I wanted to move them. They aren't due till Dec 1. Maybe I shouldn't complain.....

You did alright I'd say.
Wake me when we reach Scranton.

TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:13 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:That's a little better than here, I averaged $740. a head last week at the sale barn. I'm expecting 3 times that tomorrow at the UGA bred heifer sale...hopefully.

You can only get what someone is willing to pay. My 3 times the sale barn price didn't work out so well. We didn't even adverage twice as much as the sale barn, and had to pay $500. to the test station for feed and breeding.
We broke even at best.

What went wrong?

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:28 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

We broke even at best.

What went wrong?

You can only get what someone is willing to pay. I was shocked, humble pie taste like crap. $2,400 was the highest selling heifer and only 17 out of a 110 heifers sold for more than $2,000. And three sold for only $850.
Every heifer was confirmed bred either by AI or natural service for 100+ days. And every heifer was DNA tested for defects, disease and pelvic scored.

TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:29 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
We broke even at best.

What went wrong?

You can only get what someone is willing to pay. I was shocked, humble pie taste like crap. $2,400 was the highest selling heifer and only 17 out of a 110 heifers sold for more than $2,000. And three sold for only $850.
Every heifer was confirmed bred either by AI or natural service for 100+ days. And every heifer was DNA tested for defects, disease and pelvic scored.

I'm sorry to hear that.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:41 pm

It could of been worse, one man bought 21 and probably bid on 60+ head. Without him there we'd of been hamburger.

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jd720 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:34 pm

I noticed there were 2 annual dispersal sales around here that they didn`t even have this year due to the low prices at last years sales. I believe they chose to consign some of their animals to other sales instead of hosting their own. There`s so much overhead to have the sale but as you said they only bring what someone will bid and sometimes on lesser quality animals it can be a loosing proposition with the added cost.

farmerjan
Rancher
Rancher

Postby farmerjan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:41 am

Breds here at just one of the regular sales are averaging less than $1000. Sold about 40 head, some with calves, and they didn't bring much, again prices averaged less than $1000 a pair. It has been rather dry here, although calling for some decent rain these next few days, but people are looking at the steer & heifer markets, and the forecasts of prices not getting any better and maybe dropping a bit, and they just aren't wanting to take any gambles. We are going to lose 2 places to sale of the properties, so aren't going to invest in any extras. I think we are in for a couple of barely break even years....

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:43 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
We broke even at best.

What went wrong?

Things sure have gone down since 2015, but.......
What were prices like back when ya'll had the bad drought a few years ago? 2012 maybe?
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
"The hottest places in Hades are for those who in time of great moral crises remain neutral" Dante

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Bought a few exposed 3 to 5 year olds recently. Bottom was $680, top $770. These were selling for 2 grand just a while back.

Sold a few 6 month old heifers and got $710 for them. Feeling pretty good about that swap.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:08 pm

greybeard wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
What went wrong?

Things sure have gone down since 2015, but.......
What were prices like back when ya'll had the bad drought a few years ago? 2012 maybe?

I don't know Greybeard, I was selling everything at the sale barn till the bottom fell out in the fall of 2015.

Return to “Cattle Sales”