Marketing

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Re: Marketing

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:32 pm

bball wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:
Texas PaPaw wrote:If you’re going to setup to wean your calves would suggest setting up for fence line weaning. Have had little sickness with fenceline weaning. Think it will be money well spent.

That's sort of the plan.
Then putting them on wheat.

I'm not producing enough to really do it right, but really not interested in getting any bigger.
But that may be the only solution, that or quit.

That's the 2nd time you said this Cross. How big do you have to be? Are you thinking potloads? What is your sweet spot for economy of scale?

I think in order to do it right you really need to deal in potloads.
Problem is heifers and steers in a mixed load doesn't do well.
Potload of steers and a separate load of heifers would be ideal.
Then then you have the marketing ability to choose your price or no sale.
You can put them in a yard to finish or retain ownership.
Problem with that is at this point we aren't talking a hobby operation and bigger than I am interested in with a full time job or comfortable with the financial risk.

Probably requires someone with greater mental capacity and ambition than I have to be successful at it.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:37 pm

It is not pot load or bust.
Bigger groups do real well in this area. Call it a > 20 head trailer load. :hat:
The groups that get hammered are 3 to 8 head per.
You may need to think about how you can make producing a trailer load work to your advantage, and more than offset the marketing discount.
0 x
Stocker Steve

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:47 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:It is not pot load or bust.
Bigger groups do real well in this area. Call it a > 20 head trailer load. :hat:
The groups that get hammered are 3 to 8 head per.
You may need to think about how you can make producing a trailer load work to your advantage, and more than offset the marketing discount.

Same sex groups or mixed load of similar sized greater than 20? I imagine it might be similar here. Exactly what you said is true here..8 or 12 in a load here gets punished!
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:54 pm

Cross 7, how far are you from OKC or OKC west? Sounds worth the haul.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:58 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Cross 7, how far are you from OKC or OKC west? Sounds worth the haul.

Two hours to OKC or El Reno
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Cross-7 wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:Cross 7, how far are you from OKC or OKC west? Sounds worth the haul.

Two hours to OKC or El Reno

Hmmmmmm, thinking. Can you hear the,gears turning in my head. Might need oiled.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Cross-7 wrote:
Texas PaPaw wrote:If you’re going to setup to wean your calves would suggest setting up for fence line weaning. Have had little sickness with fenceline weaning. Think it will be money well spent.

That's sort of the plan.
Then putting them on wheat.

I'm not producing enough to really do it right, but really not interested in getting any bigger.
But that may be the only solution, that or quit.

I have to put in a plug for the quiet wean flaps. I'm usually not a sucker for gadgets but they have made a huge difference in lowering stress on the calves, bawling, trying to escape (and succeeding), etc. We put the flaps on and leave them with mamas for a week or so, then take flaps off and separate them for another 6 weeks or so. Only problem is that sometimes they do manage to work the flaps off. We realized that putting them in a less-brushy area helps with that. :2cents: :2cents: We found this works even better than fenceline weaning...
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:10 am

For only a 2 hour drive to a better sale barn, I'd do it in a heartbeat! it's 3 1/2 hours to my nearest barn, I wish I had some options sometimes.

With buyers like the ones you described there colluding for lower prices I sure wouldn't go back.. that's total BS!

I know different areas have different advantages and disadvantages, but selling big groups around here doesn't bring a very noticeable premium... Always hard to compare 2 identical lots of calves that differ ONLY in size, but my lots of 3-4 often fetch above average... I had a single steer with some chrome, 490 lbs, he went for $2.50 I think it was? I couldn't complain about that.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:02 pm

If I went and joined in late in the sale and bought a load of calves and had them hauled to the OKC sale on Monday.

Reckon they'd teach me a lesson on trading cattle ?
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:13 am

The local sale barns in this area sell according to size. The lightweights go early and they work their way up in weights. Steers get sold first, then heifers. Cull cows last. That way it doesn't basically make a difference if you are there at 4 a m or 8 a m to unload. The first ones to unload light calves will get sold in the first pen of light weight calves, the ones unloaded late will get sold in the later pens of lightweights, but all the light weight ones get sold before the heavier weight ones.
We try to be there by 4 or 430 am to get in line during the fall runs, unloaded by 6 a m then can go back to get a second load if need be. I have often had to sit in line for 3 hours on busy days in the fall runs with a second load.
You will see some 4 weights get sold in amongst 5 weights, but not like 4 wts then 8 weights then 5 weights. Groups of 4-10 sell as well or better than singles or pairs, but again not a big difference if they are good ones. Lots of single, pairs and small bunches are sold here since so many are small farmers with 20 to 40 head.
They will advertise any cow sales, and if you happen to have big groups the yard will tell the buyers ahead of time. Each group, if vaccinated or weaned, will be announced as they come through the ring.
We have sold both "weaned on the truck" and weaned and fed 30-60 day calves. We do as good or better with the weaned on the truck calves. Most of ours at that stage do know what a bunk and feed are, so it's not like they just came off the back 40 with no idea of what they are doing. We don't creep, but the calves learn from the momma's that when we call there is feed, and it is good to eat, and they are in the pen as fast as the cows in most cases. Even the ones we feed out in the field, know what we are about when we holler for them. 99% of the catching up of the cattle is done by one person, calling them in and we seldom have to do more than go around a few reluctant calves to get them to feel better about getting through the gate in there with momma. There is always that one or 2 that are going to be stupid.....
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:35 am

farmerjan wrote:The local sale barns in this area sell according to size. The lightweights go early and they work their way up in weights. Steers get sold first, then heifers. Cull cows last. That way it doesn't basically make a difference if you are there at 4 a m or 8 a m to unload. The first ones to unload light calves will get sold in the first pen of light weight calves, the ones unloaded late will get sold in the later pens of lightweights, but all the light weight ones get sold before the heavier weight ones.
We try to be there by 4 or 430 am to get in line during the fall runs, unloaded by 6 a m then can go back to get a second load if need be. I have often had to sit in line for 3 hours on busy days in the fall runs with a second load.
You will see some 4 weights get sold in amongst 5 weights, but not like 4 wts then 8 weights then 5 weights. Groups of 4-10 sell as well or better than singles or pairs, but again not a big difference if they are good ones. Lots of single, pairs and small bunches are sold here since so many are small farmers with 20 to 40 head.
They will advertise any cow sales, and if you happen to have big groups the yard will tell the buyers ahead of time. Each group, if vaccinated or weaned, will be announced as they come through the ring.
We have sold both "weaned on the truck" and weaned and fed 30-60 day calves. We do as good or better with the weaned on the truck calves. Most of ours at that stage do know what a bunk and feed are, so it's not like they just came off the back 40 with no idea of what they are doing. We don't creep, but the calves learn from the momma's that when we call there is feed, and it is good to eat, and they are in the pen as fast as the cows in most cases. Even the ones we feed out in the field, know what we are about when we holler for them. 99% of the catching up of the cattle is done by one person, calling them in and we seldom have to do more than go around a few reluctant calves to get them to feel better about getting through the gate in there with momma. There is always that one or 2 that are going to be stupid.....

I bet there's some good deals on back to the farm cows at that sale. I'd never sell a cull cow there.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:00 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
farmerjan wrote:The local sale barns in this area sell according to size. The lightweights go early and they work their way up in weights. Steers get sold first, then heifers. Cull cows last. That way it doesn't basically make a difference if you are there at 4 a m or 8 a m to unload. The first ones to unload light calves will get sold in the first pen of light weight calves, the ones unloaded late will get sold in the later pens of lightweights, but all the light weight ones get sold before the heavier weight ones.

I bet there's some good deals on back to the farm cows at that sale. I'd never sell a cull cow there.

Was here last week.
I am going to check it out today.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:18 am

Im not big on keeping calves thru the winter. Its a lot of work for maybe a little dollar. I unloaded some light calves this week also. Prices were good in the big picture but the light ones were a little disappointing. It sure beats stomping around on a cold, wet, day messing with calves though. :cboy:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 am

99% of the cows that are in the cull cow pens go directly to the slaughter buyers. Once in a while you will see someone buying a few to take back to the farm, but very seldom. I think that most people that cull a cow here do so because they are really CULL cows. I don't think I would take a cull cow home from the cull pens because I don't want to take home a problem. The bigger fatter ones you can tell didn't have a calf, the thinner ones mostly are old cows. Most every farmer that I have talked to over the years culls a cow for a very good reason. And I don't see where I am going to make any money on their culls. I have on occasion years ago, taken a few jersey or guernsey cull cows home. Sometimes they get culled for poor milk production. I would go in the cull cow pen, get the cow against a side in the corner and check to see if they had 3 or 4 working teats with no mastitis. Some get culled because they wouldn't breed back but usually putting them out on grass and a good angus bull would get them settled. Don't do that anymore since I have enough of my own to use as nurse cows. Too many get culled for mastitis, and the ones that seem to have a decent udder either won't breed or else they have ATTITUDES. In fact, more farmers are culling for attitude now than they used to. If they want to be a kicking be nice, then they can go. There are too many replacements around to keep one that wants to get you.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:23 pm

do you really think you got that ripped off on a set of untagged, unweaned, unvaccinated calves ?

What kind of cattle are they?
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”