sceince fair project

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i was woundering if you could tell me if alfalfa hay is better for cattle than grass hay? if you could email me back i would be greatful. <p>thank you for your trouble.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

Shane, that is a hard question to answer. Typically, alfalfa will have more crude protein than will grass hay. Thus, if you are feeding mature cows you could potentially be over feeding protein to them. On the other hand, alfalfa is also typically higher in digestible energy than is grass hay of equal maturity, but the fiber of grass hay is more digestible than is the fiber of most legumes due to the legumes(alfalfa, clover, birdsfoot trefoil, etc.) lignin content. If the cattle are allowed to consume all they want of either grass hay or alfalfa hay of similiar maturity, the ones consuming the alfalfa should gain more weight than the ones consuming grass. However, it is my preference to feed a really good quality grass hay instead of alfalfa if I am feeding really young calves (less than 350-400lbs) or mature beef cows that are in decent body condition.<br>
<br>

(User Above)":393eof0i said:
: i was woundering if you could tell me if alfalfa hay is better for cattle than grass hay? if you could email me back i would be greatful. <p>: thank you for your trouble.<p>You don't say what age of cattle. I feed my brood cows timothy w/grass hay and a few flakes of alfalfa twice a day.When it is really cold I give them a little more alfalfa.
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts