Is the money ever really lost?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28050
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby TexasBred » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:15 am

Supa Dexta wrote:
CSM wrote:"I didn't loose anything, I didn't sale anything".
CSM



Sell.. The word is sell. Why do I always see the word sale used like this, on this board? Its peculiar.


Do you not understand what the poster is saying regardless of how it's spelled?? Maybe I need to turn my spell check on....but would it know if I meant sell, sale, or sail?? No but intelligent being do. :cowboy:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

User avatar
Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1737
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:33 am
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:26 am

Irregardless, Its the wrong word being used. And I've noticed it numerous times on here. Leaves me wondering if people in other places use the word like that.. As in 'I saled 3 cows last week' / 'As I had 3 cows to sale'...?

But sure, attack my comprehension of the improper use of the language - That's productive use of your time.
0 x

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3710
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby Rafter S » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:44 am

TexasBred wrote:
Supa Dexta wrote:
CSM wrote:"I didn't loose anything, I didn't sale anything".
CSM



Sell.. The word is sell. Why do I always see the word sale used like this, on this board? Its peculiar.


Do you not understand what the poster is saying regardless of how it's spelled?? Maybe I need to turn my spell check on....but would it know if I meant sell, sale, or sail?? No but intelligent being do. :cowboy:


Probably in this case, but if it's the wrong word, how can you be sure? And if it keeps getting worse will we eventually reach a point where we can't figure out what people are trying to say because they don't know the correct word to convey their meaning? Or if they do know it, they can't spell it? And if you don't think punctuation is important, consider the difference one comma makes in the following sentences: "Let's eat Grandpa" and "Let's eat, Grandpa". :bang:
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

ram
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:02 am

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby ram » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:49 am

TT, use to be the grammar teacher - police. But he gave up the job, so maybe y'all can take it over. For the most part I have no trouble figuring out what someone is trying to say.
Except maybe Farmer Shell, I miss her imput.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:29 pm
Location: Southeast Missouri

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby talltimber » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:27 am

Supa Dexta wrote:Irregardless, Its the wrong word being used. And I've noticed it numerous times on here. Leaves me wondering if people in other places use the word like that.. As in 'I saled 3 cows last week' / 'As I had 3 cows to sale'...?

But sure, attack my comprehension of the improper use of the language - That's productive use of your time.


About like using a nonstandard word, according to my dictionary app, like irregardless? Which is, by the way, underlined in red right now by spell check, suggesting I use regardless instead.

So, do you mean:

regardless ( without regard ), It's the wrong word being used.

OR

irregardless ( without without regard, thus with regard), it's the wrong word being used.

I don't care either way, just thought it was amusing.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Williamsv
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby Williamsv » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:32 am

Used to have a time teaching words like these. You could say: I will sell some calves at the sale tomorrow after I sail my boat. We used to have these in a spelling lesson along with a lot more. Fun days! Sometimes I miss them. But now I have my calves. I made them line up this morning and take turns getting their treats. They are my babies. Help make the days better.
0 x

User avatar
Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1737
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:33 am
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:31 pm

Wonder why this board is turning into another homesteading/family cow forum.

I'll be sure to only bring up my highland/jersey pet cow problems from now on, and why she won't sleep still at the foot of my bed. About like not getting irony when it's plainly spelled out (perhaps a semi colon should have been used though). Guess it needs a tiny cartoon face to work. :banana: :tiphat: :pop: :bang: :deadhorse:
Last edited by Supa Dexta on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

yakker
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: Washington

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby yakker » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:34 pm

You guys crack me up! I have been checking this thread lately as it is a interesting topic...but all I am learning is how to spell!!

My thoughts on this is; if the market stays down you've lost money for the year but have taken some risk out of the next set of calves you bought. On the other hand, if you average out the profit/loss over the years, you have taken out the risk of the up and downs of the market. I think this is a smart strategy if you have cheap enough feed to winter over the calves, I don't.
0 x

Williamsv
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby Williamsv » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:07 pm

Sorry I got off the thread and on to spelling, but the teacher side of me just has to come out sometimes.
I am worried about my 15 calves that will be ready in December. I believe I will have plenty to feed them, but not past January. I have two to go now that missed the truck the last two times. I looked at one Beefmaster Angus cross this morning five months old that would have brought over $1300 like some others did last December. Makes you want to cry. Hopefully, prices will pick up in a few months.
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28050
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby TexasBred » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:21 pm

Rafter S wrote:Probably in this case, but if it's the wrong word, how can you be sure? And if it keeps getting worse will we eventually reach a point where we can't figure out what people are trying to say because they don't know the correct word to convey their meaning? Or if they do know it, they can't spell it? And if you don't think punctuation is important, consider the difference one comma makes in the following sentences: "Let's eat Grandpa" and "Let's eat, Grandpa". :bang:



Just don't be the next one to say "I seen". :lol2: :lol2: :hide:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Brentp
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Northeast Tennessee

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby Brentp » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:16 pm

If you have something worth $100 and it decreases in value by $50, you have lost 50% of your investment, realized or unrealized. It would then take a return of 100% to get back to the original value. If you sell and then immediately buy back in an equal $ amount, the loss is still realized as it has been in effect marked to market at that point but you have not lost in quantity of head or shares or whatever. You may not think you've lost but the bank sure does and they'll stop playing the game once you've used up too much of your equity and start getting close to losing the bank's equity. The most dangerous thing is to make panic based decisions that cause you to have more trading losses than gains.

With that being said, the most financially safe strategy is still buying and selling constantly as it averages out gains and losses. More people have gone broke timing the market than riding it out and investing steadily.
0 x

js1234
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby js1234 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:46 am

Brentp wrote:If you have something worth $100 and it decreases in value by $50, you have lost 50% of your investment, realized or unrealized. It would then take a return of 100% to get back to the original value. If you sell and then immediately buy back in an equal $ amount, the loss is still realized as it has been in effect marked to market at that point but you have not lost in quantity of head or shares or whatever. You may not think you've lost but the bank sure does and they'll stop playing the game once you've used up too much of your equity and start getting close to losing the bank's equity. The most dangerous thing is to make panic based decisions that cause you to have more trading losses than gains.

With that being said, the most financially safe strategy is still buying and selling constantly as it averages out gains and losses. More people have gone broke timing the market than riding it out and investing steadily.

yes.
0 x

User avatar
herofan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1422
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby herofan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:22 pm

TexasBred wrote:Do you not understand what the poster is saying regardless of how it's spelled?? Maybe I need to turn my spell check on....but would it know if I meant sell, sale, or sail?? No but intelligent being do. :cowboy:


True, it is a sign of intelligence to be able to read a passage, even if it has many mistakes. I'm a teacher, and while I may get bent out of shape in the classroom about it, it doesn't bother me in the least on a forum. I see this a lot on forums; someone will totally change the subject because someone didn't put a question mark after an interrogative sentence or the correct spelling isn't used. It doesn't bother me.
0 x

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7948
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby 1982vett » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:28 pm

Auto correct can do some amazing editing too....
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

User avatar
herofan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1422
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Is the money ever really lost?

Postby herofan » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:03 pm

An English teacher at my school was talking about similar things lately, and gave the following sentence as actually being grammatically correct, even though a lot of people would frown upon it:

"The additional training he had had had had no effect on his performance."
0 x


Return to “Cattle Sales”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests